5.0 out of 5 stars The best 77p I've spent in a long time!, 28 Sep 2013
Amazon Customer (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Disrupted Worlds (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book solely for Tom Moran's next installment in the Walton Cumberfield series and it is more the worth the purchase price for this story alone. I will add to this review as I tick off the other tales.

Walton's reputation as a brilliant detective has spread, and in The Trojan Hearse we find him approached by a client to investigate and help him avenge his brother's death. Although showing some signs of maturing, Walton retains all his characteristic bumbling idiosyncrasies which make his exploits such a joy to read. Together with his intrepid sidekick and lodger, Roger, two Brownies (girls, not chocolate cakes) and some time-cheese they set off to explore the origins of their case.

As in his previous tales there are plenty of laugh-out-loud and groan-out-loud moments, some shameless plugging and a paraphrase of a review which made me laugh so loud I woke my daughter up!

Secret liaisons, murderous tycoons, dead dogs, energy drinks, abseiling, malware and cookies - it's a novella with everything.....Walton talks to you, as the reader, it's a great style and certainly adds to the pace of the story. He is a truly unique character and I can't wait for more of his adventures (even though I will have to). The best 77p I've spent in a long time!

ADDITION:
The first story, 'Glen Swift', is a short horror story written in the classic style. A young couple travelling through Scotland to visit family, forced to drive through the feared Glen Swift as the main road is closed.....but don't tarry in Glen Swift!

The second tale, 'Gotcha', is a story built all around the telling. Set two years after the death of Margaret Thatcher we join her in purgatory where she is having a chat with Pol Pot surrounded by dead Argentinians.....I won't spoil the plot but let's say, this is the least weird part!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Disrupted Worlds (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this collection of tales that take you through a journey of horror, disturbing futures, comedy and the plain insane.

'In Glen Swift' is a traditional horror tale but a good one.
'Gotcha!' is just plain mad! Always a pleasure to read Mark's take on the culture we have all contributed towards. I'd recommend his other work - Player's Restaurant
'The Information Monster' scared the crap out of me when I think of what is to come in this internet.
'The Crabby Old Git on Growing Up' is a lovely yarn and I can actually picture this conversation taking place
'Replay & Reboot' could make a decent film, really enjoyed the story
'In The Trojan Hearse' makes me want to read more of Tom's work and other Walton Cumberfield tales. A crazy adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Disrupted Worlds, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Disrupted Worlds (Kindle Edition)
Like the previous reviewer I also purchased this on the strength of Tom Moran's story "The Trojan Hearse". I have been a fan of his comic creation Walton Cumberfield since reading "Dinosaurs and Prime Numbers". I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the stories in this book. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - almost what train journeys were invented for, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Disrupted Worlds (Kindle Edition)
I bought mainly for the Mark Butcher inclusion, but there are no bad parts to this compilation.
As with all fiction it is hard to review too much without giving too much of the plot away, my advice would be that if you like your fiction a little quirky and leftfield and enjoy reading short fiction this is a must read.

Very well written and enjoyable addition to reading, and I would (and have) bought other work by these authors without question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Disrupted Worlds (Kindle Edition)
Like previous reviewers I bought this book to get my fix of Walton Cumberfield and yet again Tom Moran has not disappointed with his third mad cap time travelling adventure, The Trojan Hearse. It is worth buying Disrupted Worlds just for this very long short story!
I have now started reading the other titles and have enjoyed stories I wouldn't normally buy, in particular Gotcha!
I will add to this review when I have finished reading them all.

Disrupted Worlds