Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 23 December 2013
Wonderful performances, and at barely more than £2 a disc well worth a place on the shelf beside your Beecham and Mackerras. But where on earth is Symphony No 32? I know Fischer makes the point in his notes that there's no definitive canon of the symphonies, what with adapted overtures, serenades, etc, but surely 32 has an accepted place? And it's a shame we've lost the off the wall notes that accompanied the earlier single disc issues, which led some people to wonder just what Fischer was on. No matter; for sheer verve and joy, this is a five star issue.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2015
It is indeed a fascinating journey to experience these symphonies starting with number one composed in London in 1764 or more likely 1765. The influence from J.Ch. Bach is here obvious. The collection ends with symphony number forty-one from 1788. It is amazing how transparent and with what clarity it sounds.
This music is indeed the work of a genius. Adam Fischer and the Danish National Chamber Orchestra should be proud of their achievements. Absolute top quality. Highly recommended!
on 22 May 2014
This is a very good value set of the symphonies. Originally I had one of the collection when issued singly. Couldn't believe how cheap the set was. Very very enjoyable recordings.
on 9 October 2014
Joy, bouyancy, verve, poise are here in abundance. I can't imagine how he manages to keep the listener's interest at a keen edge without letup --- in symphony after symphony --- but he succeeds handsomely. This is THE Mozart set for me and will continue to be so for my lifetime. It eclipses all others.
on 24 January 2014
The Danes, often looked upon with a mocking love-hate attitude by us swedes baffled crime TV affectionados with the series "the Killing". No comparision made with Fischer/DR Underholdingsorkestrets feat other than heres more of that quality one might accuse the danes of; joy-de-vivre, sense of fun, humanity, tounge-in-cheek or sometimes that dark-shaded mood one could find in Mozart Sym. readings. For some time I've been thinking that theres not more to listen to in these works that what's heard in Hogwood, Gardiner, Pinnock, Marriner....Harnoncourt, lately both Böhm and Tate, but heres a joyful susprise. It might not be Mozart for everyone since the readings are "spiced", eg. I can't explain what happened to the menuet in no 33, but it's tought-provoking and fun. This set seems hyped by reviewers from all over the world, but they're right. I don't hesitate to put this cycle as the first amongst equals of any of the ones I have in my shelves right now. Claus Johansens liner notes puts it nicely, "We smile bravely to our colleagues who have been struggling for 225 years to bring his music to life. And then it is our turn." If I say that it's serious commitement and music-making with a big austro-hungarian (whatever that is!) - danish smile. Clear (ultraclear) recordings, easy to hear the different voices and lots of precision. Not complete in the encyclopaedic sense - no 32 as well as the younger Mozarts sinfonias/ouvertures are lacking, but who cares. I don't. Music matters. Reference class.