on 6 May 2007
I doubt if a better version of the much loved Anne of Green Gables books has ever or will ever be made. The casting is sublime - Megan Follows is Anne in spirit and looks and the early episodes bring the books to vivid, colourful life. The Canadian countryside is stunning and with excellent portrayals of Matthew & Marilla, Gilbert Blythe, Diana and the other favourites, this is a DVD to curl up and enjoy again and again.

The story is faithfull to the books for the first DVD and the sequel, however the continuing story is written independently but is still enjoyable as Anne and Gilbert live through the horrors of WW1, and Diana and her husband as well as catty Josie Pye are on hand to draw us into the next tales.

The actual DVD does have some glaring faults. To offer no subtitles in this day and age is unforgiveable - the lack of chapter selection means that re-watching your favourite (weepy!)scenes is a fiddly process, but I am pleased to report that unlike one reviewer of the individual DVD's I found that there were no problems whatever with the speech and the picture going out of sync.

Every household should have a copy of this classic. It is one to watch again and again with family and friends of all ages!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 March 2007
I have never reviewed anything until now, but find the reviews enormously helpful as I am English living abroad. However, on visiting Anne of Green Gables DVD (I have the complete video set, bought to replace my worn out taped from TV set, for which I would drive like the devil to get back home to press the rec button for) to find out its price on disc, (gasp, pant!) I was absolutely ASTOUNDED, SHOCKED, INCENSED to see no 5 stars flashing or at least 500 reviews extolling, exalting, praising, nay even worshiping this feat of one of the most loveable characters ever to have been committed to paper, tape or disc. I cannot see Megan Follows in anything else. She is Anne. Only Anne. The whole cast is overwhelmingly brilliant. My children were brought up on this. It is as precious to us as our collection of David Attenborough discs (he is called simply David in our house as he is really part of the family now), in the same realm, marvellous, magnificent, stupendously stunning, heart-warming stuff. [...] So yes, I unashamedly reiterate the remarks of some other generous reviewers: borrow it, steal it, beg for it, or just simply buy it and you'll be glad you didn't go another day without experiencing this gem of cinema, the jewel of the crown ... shall I go on? Phew! Well, duty called!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 January 2008
Anne of Green Gables is based on the books by L.M Montgomery. It is about an orphaned girl called Anne who is sent to live on Prince Edward Island in Canada with an elderly brother and sister called the Cuthberts.

They are disappointed when they see Anne - they'd requested an orphan boy to help with the farm work and thye've ended up with a lively, melodramatic orphan girl with red hair! Added to that, their neighbours don't want then to take an orphaned child at all. Haven't the Cuthberts read the horror stories in the newspapers, the neighbours ask!

How Anne and the Cutherberts grow to love each other and how she adapts to her new community is the subject of this dvd.

The tale is by turns funny, touching, occasionally sentimental and just perfect for the whole family - especially if you have daughters.
Anne is similar to Laura in Little House on the Prairie, but personally I think that Anne of Green Gables is better. As a character, she is feisty and determined with a deep love of literature and melodrama. She faces some prejudice but she overcomes it to become a much loved member of the community.

If you haven't seen Anne of Green Gables before then you're really in for a treat. If you're trying to encourage your children to read then it's worth following it up with Montgomery's book of the same name. The stories were written about 100 years ago, but are still a delight for children to read.

It's a lovely story - my 30-something brother watched part of the dvd with us and even he laughed out loud on some occasions, and my four nieces aged between 6 and 13 enjoyed it too, so I think it's perfect for all the family, young and old.
on 7 August 2008
Like many of you I adored the books by L.M.Montgomery and was entranced as a child by this adaption of Anne of Green Gables. I always hoped they would take the series further and was delighted when The Continuing Story was made. However, this is a warning to true Montgomery fans - The Continuing Story is disappointing in that unlike the first two series, it is a completely different story to what was written. I would have liked to have seen her daughter Rilla, and her struggles with a beau away at war (in the books Anne is a middle aged Mother by this time, happily married to Gilbert and with many children). It is strange to go from having Anne of Green Gables so lovingly and faithfully adapted to this misfit and because I had read the books I found it difficult to watch. Montgomery did a fine job of continuing the story. They should have taken her cue.
Otherwise Megan Follows is one of those rare actresses who completely moulds into the character of Anne. Stunning scenery, beautifully done.
on 9 March 2007
Anne of green gables touched my heart as a little girl. Both through the books and the through this wonderful rendition. Megan Follows is perfect as Anne. I loved this series so much I went to Prince Edward Island and pretended I was Anne on the lake of shining water and the beaches.(Albeit my hair is a mousy brown not red)

I will admit that the continuing story is a little on the naff side. The beautiful Gilbert goes off to war. Blah - Don't think so.

But Anne and the Sequel cannot ever be improved upon in my eyes

Buy it, Watch it and immerse yourself in all things Anne. Perfect for a wet winters afternoon.
on 18 December 2013
I bought this for my daughter as a Christmas present, as it was a series she watched when she was young and wanted to revisit its charm - on that score it doesn't disappoint
However --- this particular box set doesn't give the description that it is produced for the Netherlands/ Dutch market, has this language on the sleeve and is subtitled into Dutch.
The quality of the DVD has not been digitally enhanced or updated and therefore is of a grainy " video " quality as it is obviously, a direct lift from the original series.
All said, the subtitles can be switched off and you ARE able to comfortably watch the series,in English. These things are just small niggles that the company should list in the description of the product so that you know upfront what it is you are buying
on 31 December 2013
I wish I had taken more care to read the reviews before buying.
My mum has just been discharged from hospital and asked for this a birthday present. We have the original video but the quality is poor so this was to be a treat.
The quality of this DVD is poor. Even the scenes filmed in bright sunshine look dull and the colours are not true.
Also please note that this is a Dutch import. Not a problem mainly except that the subtitles are ONLY in Dutch.
This is a problem for mum because she is hard of hearing and uses subtitles when watching TV.
We still love the films but if I'd realised I would have waited for the digitally re-mastered versions which appear on the Sullivan website (US DVD versions only currently) and persevered with the old video and saved my money ;-)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 January 2010
Bought this DVD set, not sure about the language, as I was concerned it might not be in English.
I needn't have worried. The series is the original Anne of Green Gables, with all the original voices, in English.
An excellent purchase, and a great price. Made for a very pleasant Christmas watching all of the series.
Thank you!
on 10 July 2009
I was lookking for these dvd`s long time and I really would recommend everyone to get this box set! It is exactly what I wanted - all in one.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 June 2015
Although it was advertised as having Dutch subtitles, I was still a bit surprised to find that this set was made for the Dutch Market. My initial reaction was that I had wasted my money because the writing on the case and on the home pages of each dvd is in Dutch. No matter though - all you have to do is turn the subtitles off and every thing is fine, especially as there is no where else on Amazon that I can find a copy of the third film - The Continuing Story. The fifth disc doesn't even have Dutch subtitles but contains a short documenatary about Lucy Maud Montgomery, and a much longer fascinating documentary about making the three movies with cast interviews. Everything is in English. this is a really good buy if you are a fan of Anne of Green Gables. The product arrived within 48 hours of me ordering it.