5.0 out of 5 stars very good
this item is very good quality, the item was presented as the best choise by a very good classical critical book. and it's true, sounds are great
Published 14 months ago by kellyn

2.0 out of 5 stars A questionable release, this Manfr, great Myaskovsky
Published 18 months ago by Charles Voogd

2.0 out of 5 stars A questionable release, this Manfr, great Myaskovsky, 7 Jan. 2014
Charles Voogd (Underwaterland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony, Miaskovsky: Cello Concerto Op.66 (Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra/Vladimir Fedoseyev) [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I like classical concert DVD's and we viewers and listeners aren't very much spoiled by choice. You can buy many Mahler and Bruckner symphonies on DVD and Beethoven's symphonies seem to be popular too. I'm especially interested in Shostakovich or Prokofiev concertos and symphonies and other Russian/Soviet repertoire. So I was looking forward to this release. One of my favorite composers is Nicholas Myaskovsky and his cello concerto is very very fine and one of his most romantic, melodious and interesting works. The playing is very good and the Tchaikovsky orchestra plus Fedoseyev support the cellist very well. That's not very easy because the concerto starts slow and this goes on for around 10 minutes and concentration must be sustained. Happily this orchestra still has that certain Russian blaring quality now and then, and the full-blooded string tone, I admire that, it's so far away from the glitzy world of all the European and US-orchestras. If you can stand watching a Catalan sheepdog playing cello for around 30 minutes this is your choice.

Second we have the Manfr symphony by Pjotr Tchaikovs. Imagine you're the owner of a great painting worth very much, say a Picasso. They ask you to exhibit it at the National Museum. But it doesn't fit through the doors... would you cut, say 1 meter of it, to be able to exhibit it? Certainly not. (It was done in 1715 with Rembrandt's Night Watch, can you imagine?) Well here we have the old habit of making cuts in the finale of the Manfr symphony. 10 minutes the least are missing. The whole fugue is omitted. Probably mr. Fedosey had to make a pee, plowing and cutting very fast through the finale. Not that the orchestra doesn't play well, on the contrary, they're very fine. Mr. Fedosey must think he knows better than Tchaikov and many other conductors still know better than Tchaikov too. Certainly the finale isn't Tchaikov's best work, but we don't cut Bruckner, or Mahler, or whoever, do we? But we still cut Tchaikov. A bloody shame certainly when you call yourself The Tchaikovsky Symphony orchestra of Moscow Radio. And the booklet? No mention of the cuts, no artistic motivation, nothing. Stupidity. They know so well what's good for the public, these maestros. And the public?, they applaud. I'd have boooooooood very loud at the Musikverein.

2.0 out of 5 stars Truncated Manfred, 14 Jan. 2014
Gerhard P. Knapp "gpk" (Salt Lake City, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
Vladimir Fedoseyev and his Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra (now: Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra) have given us a splendid Tchaikovsky Cycle on DVD (Arthaus, see my review), recorded live in the Alte Oper Frankfurt 1991, for today's standards in slightly dated video but still in very acceptable audio. At the time of my review of the Tchaikovsky Cycle, I regretted that the Manfred Symphony had been omitted from their program. Now I am not so sure. But first things first:

The new set was recorded live in the Vienna Musikvereins-Saal in March 2009 in good, but not outstanding PCM Stereo. The recording level is fairly low, and you may have to crank up your amplifier. As to the video, it is technically fine, however the camera often bores us with endless pans/zooms of the hall instead of staying with the orchestra sections: this is quite annoying. Long shots of the Musikvereins-Saal show that the camera team was much less interested in the music making than in the venue. Even when the focus is on the musicians or the conductor, it is erratic. This is even more deplorable, as the Moscow musicians as an ensemble as well as in groups or solo work are excellent and deserve better. So does Fedoseyev who has his musicians so well prepared that they play on the beat - not after the beat as many European orchestras do.

I have never fully warmed up to Miaskovsky's Cello Concerto, but both the soloist Alexander Knyazev and Fedoseyev with his Muscovites make a very persuasive case for the piece: the playing is warm, idiomatic and engaging. I'll listen to it again.

As to Manfred, I am at a loss. Yes, the score is long and at times noisy, even bombastic. But this is what Tchaikovsky wrote, and as a whole it is cohesive and a quasi-living organism. I can not comprehend that the work is hardly ever performed without disfiguring cuts, done more or less (in)sensibly by the respective conductor. Is the intention to save the audience from boredom - or what? Whichever the reasons might be, I had hoped that Fedoseyev, a first-rank and thoughtful musician, would respect the score's integrity and play it as is. Not so. There are cuts in the first movement and elsewhere and -- even more damaging -- a long cut in the finale, obliterating the organ apotheosis. Thus the beautiful organ in the Musikvereins-Saal remains silent. To me, this is simply not acceptable, even if the playing is very good. However, if you want a truncated Manfred, go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 24 May 2014