4.0 out of 5 stars Amos goes to Nashville..., 22 Oct 2013
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Despite still being on Blue Note records this album sees Amos and his band carrying on from where 'Mission Bell' left off, it was recorded in Nashville and has a definite country influence, with guests including Alison Krauss, Patty Griffin and Jerry Douglas. Amos's voice still has that bitter/sweet sound that is only enhanced by Krauss's harmonies on the excellent "Chill in the air" - which also features Douglas's dobro - and the songs are in the main the usual simple laid-back ballads which are also enhanced by producer Jay Joyce's subtle touches, while remaining quintessentially Amos Lee. There is variety here though, with more electric uptempo songs like "Tricksters, Hucksters and Scamps", "High water" and "The man who wants you" providing a contrast to the restrained ballads and reminding me a bit of Amos's fellow Philadelphian G. Love. There are also a few banjo based-songs which add a nice back-woodsy vibe. "Mountains of Sorrow" is another nice Dylan-like ballad, with harmonies from Patty Griffin and "Scared money" has wonderful atmospheric processed lead guitar. This is a very interesting, varied album with lots to take on board, it introduces new sounds for Amos but he manages to still keep his own distinctive sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME ALBUM, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mountains of.. -Deluxe- (Audio CD)
Bought this album on Saturday following a recommendation from my local friendly vinyl record store(yes they still exist), by the second play I was sat on the edge of my seat, this guy's voice is pure silk, stand out tracks are Johnson Blvd, Chill in the Air, Dresser Drawer, the acoustic guitar playing is extraordinary, the production is second to none, a fantastic album, and easily one of my best buys this year!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Long Time Fan, 6 April 2014
J. Hele "godgoo" (uk) - See all my reviews
first saw Amos supporting Norah Jones back in 04 and bought his EP at the show. Seen him many times since and listened to all of his albums exhaustively over the years. This one is another great entry and you can tell he is trying to vary the format within the bounds of a very restrictive genre. However it was a slow burn for me and initially left me a little cold but has grown on me over the last few months.

Not his best but still a solid LP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual high Amos standard, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mountains of.. -Deluxe- (Audio CD)
A grower, with in my opinion the better tracks being the 3 bonus ones. Not as instant as the sublime Mission Bell, but a must for any Amos Lee fan or indeed an music lover who is in need of perfectly constructed songs and THAT VOICE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jan 2014
K. R. Miller "Aircooled" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
What can I say, this latest album from Amos Lee is brilliant. I thought his previous album Mission Bell was good, but I think this is better. It has a great blue grass feel, but I think his voice is still bluesy. His song writing is spot on. Well worth it, and you will end up playing it again and again. There is no dud track on the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album, 29 Dec 2013
I have all his other albums, and have seen him in concert a few times, and will definitely go to see this in concert - a great album

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 8 Nov 2013
No dissapointment with this cd, quick delivery. love this artist I found him by mistake but I am very glad I did FANTASTIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Nov 2013
Amazing album this Amos Lee's voice just gets better and with his tour band backing him the music is superb love the whole CD not one bad track.

5.0 out of 5 stars a trip down another road with Amos, 18 Nov 2013
I must admit that this one has taken some getting used to and that there for the first time for me are 2 tracks that I simply can't listen to - but I appreciate an artist who is evolving and trying new things. And songs like Loretta and The man who wants you are the hits that I have come to expect

ARRAY(0xadec0798)