Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more

I'd been debating which tablet to buy for a few months, read every review I could find and finally chose this one when it was reduced to an unmissable bargain price. I am so pleased I did: from taking it out of the box and switching it on for the very first time it has been a joy to use. It arrived part-charged so I could use it straight away. I nearly missed the very tiny set up guide included at the bottom of the box which included instructions for finding the full, detailed set-up manual. However, it is all so intuitive to anyone familiar with a PC that it wasn't really necessary, but it highlighted features I might have otherwise overlooked.

By linking it with my Google account all of my bookmarks, contacts etc were automatically imported so I didn't need to do much at all to customise it - very different to setting up a new computer. Text entry is quick and easy with such a clear keypad along with predictive text input which really works - unlike that found on some phones which create a whole new and unique vocabulary! It also predicts the next word which makes for very speedy typing. If a word is mis-spelled then alternatives are shown for easy correction afterwards. For long memos this is a great feature.

The display is crisp and sharp and for middle-aged eyes I would definitely recommend the higher resolution 8" screen rather than the lower-resolution 7" version. The 10" is also good to view but is much less portable and less comfortable to hold. The 8" is a good in-between size combining the best of both tablets.

Connecting to the internet is easy. It quickly identifies available networks and can remember them along with passwords for rapid reconnection when switching on.

The 5mpx camera is good (for a tablet) with a fast auto focus, a bleep immediately before shooting a photo and video (portrait and landscape modes) is smooth and benefits from a pause feature which helps reduce the need for editing. There is no camera flash or video light. Indoors, the camera is less good at photographing moving subjects such as pets - really a flash is needed to prevent inevitable blur so it won't replace a separate camera but it's good for quick snapshots while out and about. The camera is at its best for shooting still scenes, outdoors in good light. It is also especially good for close-up shots and the quality surprised me - see my uploaded sample shots and video).

Everything about this tablet feels just right from the size to its quality build, fast performance, included useful apps and features. It's a personal organiser, alarm clock, data bank, camera, video player and recorder, music player (advise using headphones for better sound quality) and pretty much everything you could ever need or hope for from an electronic gadget.

There seem to be contradictory reports of battery life quoting from 6 -11 hours. Mine is new and used for mixed usage including camera, video, photo editing and web surfing all outdoors in chilly weather in a poor WiFi reception area, mine managed a good 8 hours. Recharging takes about 2-3 hours via mains so is very much faster than some brands. It's a pity it doesn't recharge via USB while connected to my PC though and has to be charged via the mains only, or so it seems.

This tablet has exceeded all of my hopes and expectations and I would buy the same again and recommend to anyone looking for a fast performing intuitive highly functional tablet which is also very enjoyable to use.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2013
Everything was delivered as expected, on time and before christmas. The tablet is amazing, I was actually surprised at how good this thing is, I would recomend it over an ipad mini in no time. The box included an usb cable and a 16gb micro sd memory card with an sd adaptor. I'm really happy, merry christmas ;)
on 27 June 2014
Like many people, I wanted to try out a tablet but was hesitant to unload my wallet on an Apple. I found the 8 inch on offer in Argos and bought it for about £130 then purchased a 64GB Micro SD card from Amazon to give it a tad more storage.

All in all, it is very hard to fault. There are a few niggles, but being an Android, most of these can be resolved by tracking down a free app to fix it.

Battery life is good for a few days light browsing. Watching movies on it is just fine - we took it on holiday and lay in bed watching Breaking Bad episodes. The speakers are OK, but I took along a little plug in just to beef it up.

I also picked up a very Apple style case for it, with a hard back and a roll over cover - I think that was all of £5 from Amazon again.

All in all, I would give it Tab 3 a hearty 5 star recommendation.
on 10 January 2014
Brilliant andat an exceptional good price. It is my second tablet but is far superior to my first but saying that my old one it is 18mth old.
The Galaxy 3 *8 Tab is very smart to look at, quick to load, altho I bought the 8" it is easy to hold and read or to function with. I did purchase a cover, altho it will give much more protection it does then become a bit of a handful to use. I personally like the sharp colour contrast and the battery life. Pity it did not have a reasonable "get you started Manual" as the one in the box was a waste of space. I did download the complete Manual but for ease of use I then bought an excellant manual so I am now completely happy. I am sure I will have plenty of happy hours ahead of me
on 2 January 2014
I have a Samsung galaxy ace phone so this probably influenced my choice of tablet, also the price, good spec, you can down load from the app store and kindle using their app/software for kindle stuff, after reading other reviews its hard to use app store with kindle so this was also a factor.
It does what it says in the advert and is easy to use, only minus point is the battery life is a little short if you intend to surf and stream stuff, but my phone charger lead is quite long so I can sit with it plugged in
on 30 December 2013
For Christmas my stock answer when someone asked what I wanted was Amazon Vouchers ;-) , reason being I fancied buying on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.
Over the years I have used earlier Android items and a £80 budget android tablet which have been a little disappointing. I am also an Ipad 2 owner but wanted to give modern Android with a decent spec a try, disappointed I certainly am not, delighted really describes things.
I considered a Nexus 7 which admittedly is an excellent tab but with expandable microSD card storage and a decent spec I decided on the Samsung.
Its fast, responsive and good looking, and interfaces beautifully with our Samsung smart tv with screen mirroring.
Modern Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean really performs and is worlds away from the Android experience of yesteryear. Voice control is a major improvement too with exceptionally precise performance.
The screen and graphics are beautiful and although 8 inch its highly portable and light.
If you are after an impressive tablet, look no further and with Amazons excellent service along with Collect+ delivery to local corner shops the whole purchase went like a dream. Well done Amazon!,
on 23 October 2014
Trying to get organised for Christmas and this is to be a present for my 9yr old. I am a HUGE fan of my now 2yr old Samsung Tab 2 (10 inch) and have samsung phones so decided on this tablet and really can't believe you can get such a good tablet for this price. A big supermarket offers it's own tablet (now on model 2) for only a little less than this and yet the quality bears no comparison - this is SOO much better. It arrived from "Gravelly" in two days and I opened it carefully last night to check it was OK. Switch on and off it went no problem. I have only done the basics to check it out but it was fast, responsive etc. The plug was European but seller included travel British version and the charger connection is the same as the standard Samsung phone socket so we have loads around the house.
My son will be a happy boy (and I will get using my trusty Tab 2 a bit more often....)

Two months on and this tablet really is the business; the quality of the graphics is fantastic and it holds it's charge really well. Fast processor. Excellent value
on 23 November 2013
Purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8in, WiFi as a first tablet - so far I'm enjoying it.

- PROS: Very sleek design, excellent size, light-weight, slimmer frame so more screen (MAJOR plus!), expandable memory up to 64 GB, sharp/ gorgeously vivid display, interface is very user friendly, pre-loaded with lots of great apps, offers some interesting features (Multi Window - for using two apps at the same time, enhanced reading mode, smart stay, universal remote control, etc.).
- CONS: 5MP camera could be better (for the price it should have offered 8MP), speakers located on the bottom (can tend to get covered), sound quality when using the music player could be better (sound is not as rich as Samsung claims on their website) the touch response occasionally sticks, the pull down menu bar sometimes requires two fingers to pull it down, the official Samsung cover for this tablet (Samsung Case Cover Galaxy Tab although good and very visually attractive, is somewhat pricey.

Nevertheless, the pros for this tab still by far outweigh the cons!
on 27 December 2013
This tablet is an excellent product and worthy of five stars. It is easy to set up and use. It is supplied with a 16gb class 4 micro SD card, I didn't use it as I bought a 32gb class 10 card.
on 8 January 2014
I bought one of these just after Christmas as an upgrade on the Samsung Tablet 7" (when the price was briefly so low that it was an offer I simply couldn't refuse!)
The 8" is far superior. The old adage "size matters" really is true - the extra inch makes a big difference - the screen is also sharper and a better quality picture. Sound is better too. Processor is more powerful - so it runs faster. Has a larger internal storage (16GB as opposed to 8GB for the 7") and will take an SD card up to 64GB for extra storage (the 7" will take up to 32GB). Camera is higher spec. Battery life seems about the same.
Amazingly the overall size of the 8" Tablet is very little different - the width is identical to the 7" (so it still slips easily into my pocket), the height just 22mm longer (less than an inch. The weight is less by 14 gms (half an ounce).
So, I am glad I made the change. I don't often give 5 stars - but for this I will make an exception.