Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

100 Hits - 70s Chartbusters
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£6.26+£1.26shipping

on 5 November 2013
Before reviewing this, I will point out that there is an 80s track on this compilation: Let's Groove by Earth, Wind & Fire (cd2, track 2, released in 1981).

Here we have another fantastic 70s album brought out by Demon Music as I already own a lot of these '100 Hits' compilations. The effort of compiling this one was much better than the 80s one, where I didn't know half of the tracks and there are lots of songs which got to #1 and #2 (listed below). There was not ONE song I disliked from this!!! So, for the price? - you can never go wrong! If your a major charts freak (like me) or a 70s music fanatic, then I would definitely recommend this!

Here are the songs that got to #1, the amount of weeks, and in which year:
4.11 Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again [2wks 1974]
4.20 T Rex - Telegram Sam [4wks 1972]
5.1 Deniece Williams - Free [2wks 1977]
5.20 Dawn - Knock Three Times [5wks 1971]

And the #2s (The songs in brackets are those which stopped the song from getting to #1 and the year):
1.9 Heatwave - Boogie Nights [Leo Sayer - When I Need You, 1977]
1.17 Leo Sayer - Moonlighting [Rod Stewart - Sailing, 1975]
1.20 Billy Ocean - Love Really Hurts Without You [Brotherhood Of Man - Save All Your Kisses For Me, 1976]
2.12 Dr Hook - Sylvia's Mother [Donny Osmond - Puppy Love, 1972]
2.13 Billy Ocean - Red Light Spells Danger [Abba - Knowing Me Knowing You, 1977]
3.1 The Drifters - Kissin' In The Back Row Of The Movies [Charles Aznavour - She, 1974]
3.13 Boney M - Rasputin [Grease - Summer Nights, 1978]
3.17 Showaddywaddy - I Wonder Why [Brian & Michael - Matchstick Men & Matchstick Cats And Dogs, 1978]
4.3 Sailor - Glass Of Champagne [Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, 1976]
4.13 Sweet - Co-Co [Middle Of The Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, 1971]
4.15 Middle Of The Road - Tweedle Dee Tweedle Dum [Rod Stewart - Maggie May, 1971]
4.16 Showaddywaddy - Hey Rock 'n' Roll [Ray Stevens - The Streak, 1974]
5.6 Redbone - Witch Queen Of New Orleans [Rod Stewart - Maggie May, 1971]
5.7 Barry Blue - Dancin' On A Saturday Night [Donny Osmond - Young Love, 1973]
5.9 The Glitter Band - Goodbye My Love [Pilot - January, 1975]

If you would like to ask anthing, feel free to comment!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
An earlier reviewer 'Mr S.J. Clarke' of course makes some valid points, that aside
many would also point out, of course, that many of the acts that truly made the 70's
swing are absent from the track-list (if like myself you are a keen collector of
these times and before, you've got 'Queen' 'Bowie' 'Slade' 'Wings' 'John Lennon' 'Abba'
'Meatloaf' ect' collections I suspect)
However what has been included is a pretty good reflection of what was good about the
'Pop-Scene' back when.
On disc one we have...'T.Rex' --'Metal Guru'...'Bay City Rollers' --'Bye Bye Baby'...
'Boney M' --'Rivers of Babylon'...'Gladys Knight and the Pips' --'Midnight Train To
Georgia'...and...'Sweet' --'Blockbuster'...just a few of the big sounds of the day...
on disc two...'David Essex' --'Hold me Close'...'Mott the Hoople' --'All the Young Dudes'
'Baccara' --'Sorry I'm a Lady'...'Tina Charles' --'I Love To Love'...'Dr Hook' --'Sylvia's
Mother'...and...'Eruption' --'One Way Ticket'...again just to highlight a few of the superb
sounds on disc two, on disc three...''The Isley Brothers' --'That Lady'...'The New Seekers'
--'You Won't Find another Fool Like Me'...'Dawn' --'Tie a Yellow Ribbon on the ole' Oak Tree'
and...'The Pointer Sisters' --'Fire'...a few reminders of the seventies, on disc four...
'The Drifters' --'There Goes My First Love'...'Tammy Wynette' --'D.I.V.O.R.C.E.'...'The
Three Degrees' --'When will I see You Again'...'Perry Como' --'And I Love You So'...and
'Denise Williams' --'Too Much, Too Little, Too Late'...one or two of the tracks to enjoy on
disc four...on disc five...'Billy Paul' --'Dancing on a Saturday Night'...'The Glitter Band'
--'Goodbye my Love'...'Lynne Anderson' --'Rose Garden'...'Leo Sayer' --'One Man Band'...and
'Linda Lewis' --'It's In His Kiss' (Shoop Shoop Song)...again some of the gems on disc five.
I've pinpointed around half a dozen or so tracks on each of the five discs just to give an
indication of what pulled me-in, it's a great reminder of those times,'GREAT NAMES' 'GREAT
SOUNDS' on board this 5-Disc Compilation.
If you are a collector you'll almost certainly not find too many, if any tracks you don't
already own, however it's often nice to sit down and play songs you remember in different
track order.
The compilation is currently being sold on this site for just £5.00, that's 5p a song, got
to be worth checking out ?
on 28 October 2013
As usual , this compilation series represents excellent value for money. Lots of great hits from a golden decade - it would keep Tony Blackburn happy for hours. Why only 4 stars then? - track 95 is advertised as Butterscotch singing 'Don't you know' a fairly obscure but no less worthy inclusion but its actually Leo Sayer squeaking his way though 'One man Band', and instead of Dawns' 'Knock three times' Mr Sayer returns Moonlighting.... apt really ! Again entirely worthy on this set, but a mistake nonetheless. A minor blemish in an otherwise glorious trip down memory lane. All original hits by the original artists with one or two extended versions thrown in for good measure (Andrea True Connection runs in at over 6 minutes !) Thoroughly nostalgic, hugely enjoyable and and at 7.5 (new)pence per hit a real bargain !
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 February 2014
What Can I Say - an amazing record from Boz Scaggs that should have had far more prominence than it did. I personally only ever heard it played a few times on radio before it slipped back into non-existence as far as us listeners were concerned. What a great record to find on an album like this. Indeed, it's these compilation albums that probably re-introduce us to records we loved years ago, and may not have actually heard in very many years.

With one hundred songs to choose from, and yes, the Bay City Rollers have slipped theirs in, there'll be something here for everyone.
on 1 March 2014
very good discs some good songs but some have added just to fill discs up
it could have been so much better if the public had been asked to pick the songs pete,s.
on 7 July 2015
What a lovely way to sit down, listen and remember when these tracks were released as a 7 inch single. I have got a very large collection of 1970's single 7 inch vinyl records, of which there are now gathering dust. Today CDs can be obtained almost anywhere which produce a better quality sound and more storage place. I've also got a very large collection of mixed CDs, with various types of artists and various types of music to past the time away..
on 4 December 2013
I guess the big hits are running out. A fair compilation with some good tunes but many duplicates from previous 100 Hits as well as some glaring errors. Let's Groove is even marked 1981 and Rivers of Babylon, one of the biggest selling UK hit singles ever, sounds like a 1990's remix. Too bad.
on 15 January 2014
As I have said before in other reviews on these compilation albums ,the sheer weight of tracks on them mean that you are bound to get a lot of tracks you will like/love along with those you don't , and that means good value for your money
on 31 July 2014
I bought a couple of these compilations for a party. Good mix but like most compilations there are always a few duplicate tracks so need to check the track list carefully against your library before buying. Went down well though!
on 2 February 2014
A Great Set Of CD'S! Songs I Remember. I Listen To Them In My House, In My fully Restored 1988 Chevrolet Pick Up, Also In My 1970 Chevrolet Nova SS. I Bought This Car On May 6th 1974 & I Still Drive It!