5.0 out of 5 stars From Modern Jazz too Blue Zoo
At long last, had this on vinyl but without the extra tracks, only wish it had "In my sleep" & "Ivory Towers". Blue Zoo have also returned to the gig circuit, so keep an eye open for their next gig. My only gripe is that i pre ordered this CD & it only just arrived yesterday.
Published 11 months ago by K. W. Dandridge

2.0 out of 5 stars Three Star Album, One Star Remastering = Two Star CD
Published 10 months ago by Scott Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars From Modern Jazz too Blue Zoo, 27 Nov 2013
K. W. Dandridge (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Available at last, 3 Jan 2014
Pj Wray (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
This is a long awaited reissue for 80's pop fans of Blue Zoo's only album. Blue Zoo are from the new romantic second division and only scored one top 40 hit; 1983's infectious 'Cry Boy Cry'. This song is not that typical of the rest of the album but what one does get is a strong collection of varied and sometimes quite bizarre early 80's pop. I think of Blue Zoo as a harder, edgier Kajagoogoo but fans of Duran, Scars, Japan and other new romance/post-punk bands of the era will not be dissapointed. 'Two by Two' is certainly a minor classic of its era that is really quite essential for 80's pop geeks.
I do think that some reviewers on here have been a bit hard on this Cherry Pop reissue and here is why. Firstly, yes the tracks are in a different order to the original LP with one version replaced entirely by another. However, the sleevenotes indicate that this is an artistic decision on the part of the band and so Cherry Red are not to blame on this front. All the original tracks are present (minus the original album version of 'Love Moves in Strange Ways') In terms of other tracks that might have been included such as 12 inch versions. It is possible that Cherry Red could not source the original tapes or a good vinyl source for these. What this reissue does have is a generous 19 tracks so it also possible that there was not any space left on a single disc reissue.
Finally on that issue of 'loudness' I have heard albums that were mastered too loud such as the now infamous Spandau and Duran debut reissues a few years back and I could only concur that these albums were badly remastered and sounded too loud. However, to my ear this remaster sounds fine.
This is a great album. Perhaps it does fall short of some fans expectations but with good sleevenotes and a generous helping of bonus material there is still plenty to enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Three Star Album, One Star Remastering = Two Star CD, 2 Dec 2013
Scott Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
The long-awaited reissue of Blue Zoo's 2 By 2 album finally makes its CD debut, but it's not as one may have expected or hoped for. First, the running order has been considerably modified. Second, an album version of a track has been replaced with an earlier single recording. Third, the sound quality stinks! It's great that Cherry Red have increased efforts to use actual studio master tapes, as opposed to the shoddy vinyl transfers of old, but now they have a new problem. If you like extremely loud, brickwalled, shrill mastering, then you will be very pleased. If you appreciate dynamic range and detail in your music, then you should avoid this. I contacted Cherry Red about this and they gave me a form-letter response of "We'll look into it and let you know what we find", then no further response. But I'll tell you what happened. They have had this mastering engineer by the name of Dave Turner destroying many of their recent reissues with his overblown and destructive mastering techniques, and Blue Zoo is the latest victim. I've read how he has destroyed the Cherry Red reissues of the Naked Eyes catalog, and found he did similar on the Fuzzbox album Big Bang. So unless Cherry Red make an effort to stop this guy from using these destructive mastering methods then the complaints on various forums will continue and sales will continue to be lost.

Now to the music:
The bad - I will admit that I am only a part time Blue Zoo fan. Yes, 'Cry Boy Cry' is a great song, but there's not too much else here of that caliber. The follow up single, 'Loved One's An Angel', is a wretched piece of music, while another single, 'Forgive And Forget', is pretty forgettable, though not forgivable. I do admit that I like the single version of 'Love Moves In Strange Ways' better than the LP version, though they should have included both for those who prefer the other. The one they should have swapped was 'I'm Your Man'. The single version is a catchy dance song while the re-recorded album version, included here, is over-produced and painful to listen to. The album tracks are mixed in with various single B sides, though most do little to redeem the collection.

The good - The best songs are the attractive 'John's Lost' and the super catchy B side 'Chameleon Waves'. One true highlight of this CD is the inclusion of the rarity 'In Love And In Life' (though it's mistitled on the CD 'In Love In Life'). This song had only previously been available on a Yugoslavian LP titled For All I Really Care, which was a collection of B sides, singles and unreleased tracks. Though I do have that LP, the sound quality is almost that of a bootleg, so it actually sounds better here, and is the only real reason I'm keeping the CD. They should have also included the song 'For All I Really Care' because it is one of the band's best. Blue Zoo's final single release was the excellent 'Somewhere In The World There's A Cowboy Smiling'. This song redeemed them for their earlier commercial leanings, though didn't go completely off the wall. It sounds like it could have easily been a hit and satisfied both types of fans, though unfortunately it faded with little fanfare.

I vaguely recall reading on a Blue Zoo site in recent years that 2 By 2 was originally rejected by the record company for not being commercial enough, and the band were sent back to fix it. I even recall reading the original track listing, and there are songs there that never ended up released. It's clear the final product did have a more forgettable commercial sound, so I would have loved to have heard the album in its originally intended incarnation. If the pre Blue Zoo singles, released under the band name Modern Jazz (though not included here), were any indication of what their original intent was, then I bet it was much better than the final product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy clothes, fine music!, 14 Mar 2014
Aranya (Axmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that I've waited for on CD for a long time & had assumed would never make it. At last it's here & it includes all the Blue Zoo tracks (2 by 2 album, plus single B-sides) that I have on vinyl, plus an early Modern Jazz single. The only track missing is the album version of 'Love moves...' but that's a small gripe. Oh & they messed with the track listing which was a bit weird at first, but I'm used to it now. Just delighted to have these fine tunes on CD at last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the Past., 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
Essential listening when I lived in Pretoria, South Africa (80s, natch). Had this album on tape which got lost or damaged or eaten or something. Needless to say finding it on cd was such a pleasure that I had to buy... so I did... and I'm so glad coz it's another "time machine" album.

Silly funky new wave 80s pop.

Love it !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album by a fantastic band., 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
Despite what others might say, the sound quality if this CD ( in my opinion) is excellent. The music is superb and I highly recommend it....would love to have seen the 12" mixes included though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Likeable, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
Not sure what I was expecting after 5 star reviews on this group/ album but it was likeable. it took several listens to get into it!
CD arrived fine and was happy with the quality and service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why no 12" Extended Mixes?, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
I've been longing for this Blue Zoo reissue cause I've long worn out my 12" singles of I'm your man(my #1 favorite from Blue Zoo) & Cry boy cry. 12" extended mixes are an important part of 80's music scene & Blue Zoo is an 80's band. Guess what, there isn't any 12" mixes in this expanded reissue. To make matter worse, the album version of I'm your man is nothing like the 7" or the 12" mix. Major "Buzz Kill" man!!!! I totally agree with the review of Mr. Scott Davies, a miss opportunity no doubt!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, Simply Fabulous!, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
Well what CAN I say? New wave nu-romantic slipstream also rans Blue Zoo finally get the CD Re-Issue they deserve! What a tuneful melodic bricolage of a time capsule this is to enjoy the unearthing of! 'Cry Boy Cry' is the obvious high-light but other tracks really do make the grade. Early 80s synthpop at its very best. I have bought a hundred plus copies to tile my bathroom with! Hurrah!

2.0 out of 5 stars 12" INCH ? AND........, 28 Dec 2013
Valgapa (CATARROJA, VALENCIA Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2 By 2 (Audio CD)
Where are the 12 "inch, I think this cd would have to have been twofold, in the case of such an important group of the '80s. Also speak of mastering not sound right sounds better on vinyl, I think anyone who has done the mastering what has successful.2 By 2

2 By 2
2 By 2 by Blue Zoo (Audio CD - 2013)