on 13 January 2014
Got to say, I didn't expect much from this. But the world that this book paints is great. A world where heroes
and villains live so close that they almost just seem to put up with each other well unless they see each other doing "work". The lead character makes you really believe that being a villain is a great career, one everyone should want. After finishing this book I had to go and buy next one straight away
on 17 January 2014
This has now become one of my favourite books, and I'm glad to hear there are more in the renegade series. The characters, especially Damien are amazing, totally lovable and just hilarious. The story was fantastic, and I couldn't find any faults within it.
This book had jokes, action scenes, cool characters, heart-break, some crazy love triangle that only lasted throughout this book.
I would recommend this to any and everyone. A fantastic read.
on 2 December 2015
Adore this. Funniest story I've read in ages. Thank you for brightening my day! I've never give a review before finishing a book before, but I had to stop and go to work, sigh, and I just had to say Thank You first. In a world full of increasingly dark and disturbing YA it is such a joy to find a book like this, which is sheer fun.
on 2 February 2016
Really different, very entertaining story of a misfit in a world of heroes and villains who has to learn to 'live with the enemy' The great thing about the world is that nothing is really black and white - there are two sides to every argument.
on 10 June 2014
it was an amazing reed with some good action scenes but it would probably be more recommended for a younger audience, due to it's slight childish vocabulary which is why it only gets 4 stars from me. but it still is a great reed for all ages.
on 1 July 2015
I won't rehash the book description but I will say this book is great fun and fast paced. The characters are pretty genuine and the editing is good. I am buying the sequel after finishing this review...
on 22 October 2013
I really should be too old for young teen fiction, but this was great. Definitely worth a read if you want something fun and frivolous but doesn't descend into slapstick.
Welcome to Golden City, where superheroes and supervillains mingle with ordinary citizens.

We meet the main character, Damien Locke, on the eve of his 16th birthday - the day his "V" is supposed to appear in his thumbprint. The day his fate is officially sealed. The day he becomes a REAL supervillain. His "V" will ensure his admission to Vilmore, the university for aspiring villains.

So, standing in front of a crowd of people as the clock strikes midnight, Damien watches as his thumbprint shifts...

into...

an...

X.

The "X" has only been a rumor - until now. The shock of the "X" is bad enough to send Damien into a tailspin, but the cause of it is downright devastating. The "X" means he has superhero in him. He's never known his father, but always assumed he was another supervillain like his mother - but he was wrong. His fears are confirmed when he confronts his mother and she reveals she had a one-night stand with a superhero in the middle of a particularly heated battle.

Damien is thrust into a world he doesn't want anything to do with when his mother sends him to spend six weeks with his father and his superhero family. He attempts to maintain his supervillain persona in the midst of the enemy, and is forced to make his own decisions about right and wrong.

Damien Locke is a delightful character. His snarky personality fills the book with humor and causes the reader to fall in love with him. Even though Chelsea M. Campbell set THE RISE OF RENEGADE X in a fantasy world filled with superheroes and supervillains, Damien still deals with typical teenage problems. He has to deal with a rotten friend, a cheating girlfriend, and major parent issues.

THE RISE OF RENEGADE X is a fun story. The reader will love getting lost in Damien's world. I know I can't wait for the sequel.

Reviewed by: Karin Librarian
on 12 October 2013
I read this in one sitting and then immediately bought the sequel. Damien is an excellent protagonist ( I would say hero but... that remains to be seen) and the books have a very comic book feel. I hope there are many more sequels to come I will certainly be following Damien's adventures.
on 6 November 2013
I don't give 5 stars lightly, but this one really deserves it.
Our failed antihero is very smart....and that's just his mouth. But he's also very dumb in the way only teens can be.
There's so much good stuff here that I won't be able to do it justice without a 5 page essay...so in short, buy this! It's fantastic.