5.0 out of 5 stars Great twist on the legend, 29 Oct. 2014
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Have to say I was impressed with this. What I assumed might be a light pulp fiction ended up being a well-researched, clever and compelling tale. The Robin Hood story has been re-booted recently in an excellent series by Angus Donald. Here there is a different twist on the tale seen from the perspective of Guy of Gisburne acting as a bit of a ‘fixer’ for Prince John who is also not the dark figure we are accustomed to. Guy is sent on a mission with a squire and finds himself battling dodgy Templars, while occasionally being distracted by a very attractive lady and all set within a very authentic historical context. And Robin Hood is a peripheral figure here and, it has to be said, not a very nice one.

So as we follow Guy on his mission we also get his backstory which positions who he is and helps us to understand his character and decisions. This was great fun and deserves a wider audience, I hope to see more in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and a wonderful reimagining, 17 Oct. 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I've always loved the tales of Sherwood, the outlaw hero standing up for the people against a corrupt king, but there have been times when I've yearned for a richer, darker story, something that allows the reader to get to the heart of the tale afore propaganda took over, so it was quite a breath of fresh air to get a book told from Guy of Gisbournes point of view.

Its got some great action, wonderful turns of phrase and takes the reader not only on an adventure but gives them something pretty damn special all in. Add to this sharp prose, great dialogue and of course a lead character that you can really get behind all round gives you something pretty damn special. Thank you Toby for a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars More adventures of Sir Guy please!, 14 Oct. 2013
This is a beautifully crafted and engrossing adventure combining a delightfully inventive reshaping of 'Hood lore' with Crusader history. The author clearly knows his stuff, but never allows that knowledge to deflect from the drama or the flow of this sweeping narrative. It's a brave author who challenges our adopted 'knowledge' of such established characters from an universal folk legend. Too often has Hood been recast, remodelled and regurgitated - only to appear, yet again, as the hero of the downtrodden and a thoroughly good bloke. Well, in your face Robert of Locksley - not this time! Such is the the author's ability to create rounded characters, with complex but convincing motivations, that the reader is soon swept along with Sir Guy's mission and personality, while wondering how the rest of the world can have been suckered by Hood for so long.

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!!, 12 Mar. 2014
I have always enjoyed stories of old English legends and folklore, particularly featuring Robin Hood. A friend mentioned this retelling and, though at first not entirely convinced by the cover (which is probably more appealing to guys than to girls), I am so glad I took note of this one! This is a completely different take on the Robin Hood world, delivered with aplomb. Having just finished this I find myself only interested in more of this tale and, like another reviewer mentioned, full of questions as to how we have all accepted only one version of this story before. Regardless, this is a strong, masterful page-turner and the first novel I have read in a long time that has left me with that familiar feeling of loss at the end - a yearning for more, which can only be filled with a follow-up...

5.0 out of 5 stars Arise a new hero, 24 Nov. 2013
This is a terrific book and a great read. A 180 degree turn on the usual stories regarding Robin Hood and all the better for it. A great story with lots of twists and turns which shows that people in the past we thought we knew about...maybe we don't. The main character is an exciting hero (anti-hero?). I truly hope there is a follow up book to this great story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shadows, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I found this novel totally engrossing and fresh on its take on this established English legend. I recommend it to any interested in adventure stories.

Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows