5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel and a solid Fantasy
rating:4.7
In order to write this review, I re-read Riddle in Stone and then read again Betrayal in the Highlands.
You can really feel the difference in the writing. In Betrayal in the Highlands, you can see that Robert Evrett has found his pace and that the hesitancy in his writing is gone.
In this second part, Edmund comes into his own. As a character, he...
Published 12 months ago by france

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read
Published 2 months ago by Joanna FISH

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel and a solid Fantasy, 7 Dec 2013
france - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Betrayal in the Highlands: The Riddle in Stone Series - Book Two (Kindle Edition)
rating:4.7
In this second part, Edmund comes into his own. As a character, he does remind me of a certain Bilbo Baggins but a romantic one. Our Edmund would love to find someone who would love him but unfortunately, it is not to be. Not only has he got Goblin hunters after him, he also has a trio of evil magicians (cleverly introduced to us in Riddle in Stone) who will stop at nothing to get their hands on the secret he carries in his head. Therefore anyone closed to him is in danger. Which does not prevent Pond, his former pit dweller mate and mentor in the goblins' mines to stick with him and to become, if I can say so, his sidekick. We have a very deep friendship, an unsaid brotherhood bond that nothing can break between two unlikely heroes and adventurers. Not even Abby's pretty face. Yes, the author has introduced us to a new central character, Abigail. I like her a lot. Not a silly pretty face but a runaway would be adventuress, clever, intuitive and with a big heart, loyal to a fault but as impulsive as Becky, Edmund's fifty pounds puppy. Becky is also a central character and it is interesting to see how her role develops in the story.
As for Molly and Norb, well, after their betrayal, I could not find it in my heart to feel sorry for them. I loved the way Abby 'persuaded' Molly to reveal the extent of her treachery and how she used Edmund's love for her.
Betrayal in the Highlands is a solid fantasy book. But is my opnion that you have to read first Riddle in Stone.
I highly recommend both books to fantasy lovers. And no, it is nof a spin off of Lord of the Ring. Yes, you can feel Tolkien's influence but Betrayal in the Highlands is not LOTR nor The Hobbit. Edmund, Pond, Abby are normal people, with their fears, hopes for the future. They could be you or me and like Edmund, we would be talking to ourselves in our head.
The only thing I would question though in the story, is why, towards the end, Horoic, Lester and Edith had Edmund all alone in the woods but they let him (grudgingly) go. Was it because of what Becky has become or Edmund's new sword? but due to the strength of their magical powers, I feel they could have easily overpowered him. I suppose the reason will be revealed in book 3.
Oh yes, there is also a mighty twist at the end. It would be too horrific to think that the Undead King would have...no,no,no. I do not want to even think abou it.
Well, read the book to find out for yourself. My guess is that you will not regret it.
I shall be waiting eagerly for book 3.
Well done to the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 26 Sep 2014
Very much a continuation of the first book not a stand alone story. If I'm honest I was disappointed with this book. That's more to do with book 1 setting expectations so high and less to do with any failings in book 2. I think I was expecting New revelations and development of the hero's powers before a crescendo of action that brings this section of the story to an end.. what was,delivered was a book which felt more like a scene setting for a future book than a story in its self. A bit like one of those American dramas like lost that roles one forever. I have no idea what the introduction of the character fatty what ever his name was. He seems to have turned up been a hinderence and then been written out. Eds idea of managing a state seems to be some sort of crude version of communism. I think he'd be killed or disposed by the populace who'd take his money. Or just seen as weak and killed by a bully that would then rule the state as a dictator. I might read book 3 just to see how on earth the author stabilizes the plot enough to create an ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good progression of a very good series, 31 Aug 2014
This isn't the type of book I usually go for. The main character isn't the best in the land with a sword or the most powerful magician seen for a 100 generations. He does however have strengths in his character that help him develop into a convincing hero. The story line was well paced and the writing didn't get bogged down with unwanted details.

Not just a middle series book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure now, 28 Jun 2014
I thought the first book was just a set of unhappy circumstances, but having read this one, I can only assume that Edmund is the victim of a perverse curse. Some of his choices are rather odd as is his fortune, or lack thereof. I would have expected by now that he would have started to take control of some things instead of being a doormat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for Book 3, 24 Nov 2013
Some books you get right into and can't put down. I read again and enjoyed it so much, I bought the Audio book. I'm talking about the first book. A month later did search in Amazon under authors name only to find Book 2 was available, with the same enjoyable results. Great characters excellent stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars betrayal in the highlands, 13 May 2014
I loved this book and the previous one "riddle of the Stone". I just hope Mr Robert Evert creates a book 3. If he does I will be first in line to buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough., 8 Jan 2014
Whilst I enjoyed it, I felt cheated somehow. Edmund wasn't as endearing, the romance was a bit weak,and the story felt as if it was incomplete. Nothing really happened except little bit of fighting and a lot of running!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Wright, 3 Nov 2013
Simply a great fantasy read in a manner quite different from other such books of this genre.
Very enjoyable indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The awesome adventure continues, 20 Oct 2013
L. Sears "Redlorry" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Picking up with Edmund and Pond after their adventures in Riddle in Stone was as easy as relaxing into a comfortable armchair at the end of a hard day. That is to say it was effortless.

Edmund remains the most abused of main characters as talented author, Robert Evert puts him repeatedly into challenging circumstances with a plethora of adversaries. Edmund is tested again and again physically, mentally, magically and emotionally. And as the rapt reader you'll be put through the wringer right along side him!

After all he's been through Edmund knows any who chose to stand by his side risk their life to do so. But such is his likability that it's a price all seem willing to pay. And as merciless as it may seem, Robert Evert sets out to prove Edmund's point with both new characters and those established from Riddle in Stone falling before Edmund's pursuers.

What surprised me about this story was not only how easy it was to get back into after the months and books that have passed since reading Riddle in Stone , but also how easy it was to read. Pages passed so quickly, each one packed to bursting, that I'd finished it before I even realised.

If you're going to read Betrayal in the Highlands it's strongly recommend you read Riddle in Stone first. It will set you up beautifully for what's to come and allow you to build your connection to all the fantastic characters you'll meet within.

With another book yet to come, just as you relax and think Edmund's finally going to be allowed the peace he seeks, Betrayal in the Highlands ends on an explosive discovery, ensuring you'll be champing at the bit to join Edmund on the next big adventure.

Riddle in Stone (The Riddle in Stone Series - Book One)

4.0 out of 5 stars this a wonderfully written book, 23 Nov 2014
Read this early in the year, this a wonderfully written book. Its a unique writing style which really works well for robert.

the characters really mature in this book.

highly recommended.