5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Book Ever!
This has to be my favourite book in the world. I just love it. I've read it at least six times in the past few months, and yet I never grow bored.

It's a lovely story. A young, rich, kind and intelligent girl, called Sara, is sent away to a boarding school. She has a vivid imagination and is always making up stories.
When Sara's father dies, she is left...
Published on 10 Jun. 2009 by Agb2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossibly small print
Bought as a gift for a ten year old, but the print is so small she'll never be able to stick with it. It's going back and I shall buy a different edition.
Published 16 months ago by Bramble family

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Book Ever!, 10 Jun. 2009

When Sara's father dies, she is left with no relations in the world, and ends up in poverty - she has to work at the school for no pay and little food.
However, she is determinded that no matter how hunger, cold or tired she is, she won't give in.
With the help of her firends and her "pretending" stories, she overcomes the hardships and proves that anyone can be a princess inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Little Princess, 30 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
I read this book many times as a child and loved it every time. This adaptation for audio cassette is excellent. The narrator captures the mood wonderfully. The story concerns a strange, thoughtful, loving little girl whose father sends her to boarding school after she has spent her first few years in India. She remains a "little princess" in spite of extreme hardship and heartache. Even though this is a fairy story in many ways, the characters are superbly drawn. It is very moving but not sentimental. My 7 year old son has very much enjoyed listening to this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that everyone must read., 24 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
"A little Princess" by "Frances Hodgson Burnett" Unusually this book reverses the rags-to-riches theme. Sara Crewe is sent by her father from India to live in England as a Parlour border at Miss Minchin's select Seminary for Young ladies. Sara lives in luxury,even for a parlour border as her rich young father is prepared to spend a great deal of money on her she has a pony and a carriage,and a French maid. She also had a wardrobe far to grand for a child her age. Even though she had a great number of expensive toys
Sara spent most of her time making up stories in her head and then telling them to the other girls. The favourite of the stories made up
in her head was that she was a princess. When asked if she would keep this view even if she didn't have all the luxuries of a princess
and was reduced to poverty. She insists that whatever situation you are in you can still be a princess as long as you belief it inside. Ironically she was forced to put this to the test when on her eleventh birthday her father dies of jungle fever and becomes bankrupt and instead of being the show student at Miss Minchin's school she is forced to work as a servant and live in the attic. But Sara knows that she will always remain a princess inside. When I read this book I was absolutely captivated with the idea that whatever situation you are in you can also be a princess inside. Along with the message that you can always be a princess it also has the strong messages of hope and friendship.

5.0 out of 5 stars For princesses of all ages, 28 Aug. 2008
This must surely be one of the sweetest, loveliest books a girl could read in childhood. It's been a long time but reading it again all these years down the line (aged 21), it still holds such charm, wonder and profound messages about class, poverty and happiness that I know it'll be returning to my shelf to read again and pass on to my own children.

It tells the story of Sara Crewe, a rich little girl brought up in India by her beloved father, who moves to England to go to boarding school at the gloomy seminary belonging to the formidable Miss Minchin. She is the star pupil, dressed in finery and always happy to share her good fortune and vivid imagination with her classmates. But when a tragic twist of fate strips her of everything, Sara ends up a poor orphan working as a drudge in the seminary where once she was idolised by her fellow pupils. Miss Minchin uses this as a fine opportunity to take a sort of revenge on this strange little girl, who she has never understood but has always indulged thanks to her wealth. But no matter how hard her life becomes, she remains generous and polite to those around her, rich and poor alike, pretending that she is a princess in order to keep her morals and spirits strong. Finally, just as even her fiery spirit is at breaking point, an English gentleman who has been living in India moves into the house next door and magical things start to happen as their interest in each other grows. Of course everything will come right in the end, but I won't give away any more because it deserves to be read and enjoyed...

This is a beautiful, moving, and inspiring novel, whether you're 6 or 60! It is well written, with highly individual and well-rounded characters, and a wealth of description which makes it very atmospheric and allows even a child to see Sara's London in vivid detail. There are images in the book which I could still remember clearly and recognise years after I read it as a little girl, and even now I was holding my breath and waiting for everything to fall into place! In today's selfish modern society it also provides a reminder of how a little generosity and kindness goes a long way, and is a perfect fairy tale for littler princesses too. I'd also recommend 'The Secret Garden' for a slightly less girlie but equally sweet, timeless and beautiful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 13 Nov. 2009
It's so wonderful to see a new edition of this timeless book. An avid reader when small, I devoured this book time and time again so my copy definitely needs replacing. I really hope that this new look will mean that millions more little girls will grow up with Sara Crewe like I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time classic favourite, 17 Jan. 2006
Marie Cousens (Harrogate, UK) - See all my reviews
I first read this book with my mum aged 7 years and I cannot wait for my daughter to be old enough to read it - although she'll have to get her own copy! This is a magical book especially to those of us who live in imagnary worlds. Sara Crewe was my hero when I was a child and I retain fond memories to this day. You cannot buy a better book for a child with a vivid imagination who likes reading. It will stay with them forever. This is my all time favourite book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange cover, very nice inside., 24 Nov. 2010
I will not review the content of this book as there are so many reviews over the internet that one can easily find them. For all Sara Crewe's story lovers I will say something about this particular edition instead.
It is the original version, no abridgement hence it is just perfect.
This book has a bit odd cover but very nice lay out inside. Letters are just the right size, very good quality paper and it is a real pleasure to read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Princess Review, 20 May 2010
This is a particularly good copy of the book. It was well bound, the print was a good size, there was a prologue, and endpiece, details of further books by the same author, some biographical detail of the author and the circumstances under which is was written, and the illustrations were appropriate.
Great story. Very well presented.
The story of a rich Victorian child, brought to boarding school in England from India by her father after the death of her mother, is a little sentimental by modern standards, but the lessons of triumphing over hardship, and integrity rewarded are still relevant today. The book is saved from mawkishness by the sad, but realistic, death of her father, unlike the totally infuriating changes made in the American film version of this story.
Stick with the written version - it is a great deal more rewarding. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special book, 15 Aug. 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A truly touching and beautifully written story about a little girl who is very brave, and full of courage and hope. It makes me laugh, makes me cry, and makes my heart ache too. It is one of my favourite stories of all time, and I'd thoroughly recommend it to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich to ruined, 19 April 2015
Sara Crewe and her father lived in India and they were incredibly rich, but they had to go to England where Sara was sent to a girl’s seminary. Here she was presented as a show pupil and got everything she wanted, like a princess. Life was perfect for Sara, as always, except for the fact that she was not with her father. Then one horrible day the news is upon her that her father has died and has left her no money and she must work as a scullery maid in the attic of the school. She is told to do various jobs whenever the cook feels like bossing her around and has to go out in all weathers to shop for food. Life is miserable now for Sara, but she still keeps her kind and loving spirit and it doesn’t matter that she is treated horribly, because it’s fine if she still believes that there is a true princess inside her.

What a beautiful novel this is. Wouldn’t you love to be like Sara and have everything you wished for? She has a life every little girl would dream of and yet she doesn’t act the least bit spoiled. This I would find quite hard for I would like to boast a little bit about it. Sara is perfect. Not practically perfect, she’s just perfect. This is also a film and the film I don’t think is much different apart from the fact her father doesn’t really die, he just goes blind for a bit. But in the end they all live happily ever after, except for Miss Minchin, the cruel head of the girl’s seminary. She ends up working as a chimney sweep. Would you like to live as a chimney sweep? I don’t think so, but she deserved it.

A Little Princess