1,861 Reviews
 (1,050)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking
The story of Soloman Northup is both horrifying and heartbreaking and all the more devastating when you know that it is true. I have seen the film and although it is excellent, I feel that the book explains in more detail exactly what happened. There are parts in the film where I would have wondered why situations developed as they did and the book fills in those gaps...
Published 5 months ago by Chrissywissy

2.0 out of 5 stars Ohhh...
I know its probably a sin to say it but I found this book really boring, even the fact it was a true story couldn't keep me gripped. It was too slow for my liking. I can't believe I am saying this but I think I would rather have watched the film!
Published 4 months ago by Nichola J Langton

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Slavery, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
Much, much, much better than the film. This book shows the horror of slavery and the people who managed the slaves. A must for all students of American history and the legacy of slavery.

4.0 out of 5 stars An authentic account of slavery, 2 Mar 2014
All credit to the author. This book was a moving, authentic account of his life as a free man taken into slavery. It portrays his life from his perspective and reflectively. I was thankful to be spared from a lot of gore and negativity as it is such an emotive topic. It made me cry.

2.0 out of 5 stars great story that's needs to be told but very boring read, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
Really disappointed, how could such a brilliant tale be told in such a boring way? Great shame. Maybe the film is more entertaining

5.0 out of 5 stars If it's the only book you read, you must read this, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
This book made me cry, to think fellow human beings can behave like this. What gives them the right to treat these black people as slaves, they are exactly the same as us, just a different colour. Hope they are all getting there just rewards in hell. This must never ever happen again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book and would suggest everyone should read it.
I couldn't put my kindle down until I'd finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
What a great book? The calm manner in which Solomon narrates this tale of heartbreak, injustice and emancipation serves to draw the reader deeper into the story. It is brilliantly and beautifully written. The inhumanities handed out on a daily basis serve to remind us of the inhumanities man is capable of.

1.0 out of 5 stars There is a problem with Kindle typos, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
It is frustrating that no one has proof read the Kindle edition to remove typos. This seems to be a general problem with old books transferred to Kindle - but it is annoying. Recommed you buy the print edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable story, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
A powerful story, clearly and well written, by an articulate, intelligent author. What is most remarkable is how balanced and calm the narrative is, considering what he went through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of typing errors in this version, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
An interesting story, remarkable for its matter-of-fact style. That people could endure such a brutal and unjust situation, yet convey their story without a sense of bitterness or hatred is staggering. I didn't want to see the film because I find it so painful to watch the inhumanity of humankind and I know that I would feel wretched at the end. The tone of the book, however, makes it possible to hear Solomon's story without feeling the horror and perhaps helps you to understand the learned helplessness of a person who is enslaved. What struck me as most shocking was the institutionalization of slavery, that laws existed to legitimize and sustain it, just as with apartheid in South Africa. I knew the facts beforehand but this narrative effectively conveys the everyday reality of that era. I felt the powerlessness of the people, the fact that there was nothing that could be done because if you fought and failed you would lose your life. The character of Patsey was drawn so well with such sparse language - a young woman, a childlike innocence - dehumanized and destroyed. To think that any living being could withstand such pain and to think that there exist such people who can inflict such cruelty.....I just don't get it.
This kindle version is a poor one, filled with typos but I only paid a few pence for it so I guess that's why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening and inspiring., 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
Love this book which has inspired me to read Uncle Tom's Cabin as well. I do hope those who have put negative reviews will remember that this is about a man's experience of Man's inhumanity towards his fellow man.

Twelve Years a Slave