5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking
The story of Soloman Northup is both horrifying and heartbreaking and all the more devastating when you know that it is true. I have seen the film and although it is excellent, I feel that the book explains in more detail exactly what happened. There are parts in the film where I would have wondered why situations developed as they did and the book fills in those gaps...
Published 17 months ago by Chrissywissy

2.0 out of 5 stars Ohhh...
I know its probably a sin to say it but I found this book really boring, even the fact it was a true story couldn't keep me gripped. It was too slow for my liking. I can't believe I am saying this but I think I would rather have watched the film!
Published 16 months ago by Nichola J Langton

‹ Previous | 1142 143 144277 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars sad but true, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to read this before going to see the film, and I,m glad I did although the film was true to the book you still build up the image of his life better by reading, such a sad story, the way they were treated was awful and solomon is very clear in his discription of the way he spent the 12 years, he was held against his will, never being able to speak up for himself. I would recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An emotive autobiography that reads like a great novel., 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
This was an eye opening and emotional book. Though I'd heard about slavery I had only really grasped a true idea through this autobiography. The book reads like a well written novel but I was reminded throughout of its non-fiction yet often wished the facts written weren't true. The story was both emotional and even inspiring at times and a truly great story of life to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Account of Slavery in the 19th century, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
This is not an especially scholarly work but it is gripping nevertheless, the more so for being utterly harrowing and the essential humanity and decency of Solomon Northup shines through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 8 Feb. 2014
such a moving story
glad it hasn't been adapted too greatly so as to convey the true power of Solomon's plight

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it !, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book looking forward to seeing the film, hope it does the story justice .
Five more words required my arse

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
realy enjoyed the book, going to c the film next week cant wait hope the film is as good as the book

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
Quite hard to start with but became a real page turner half way through. reading this book makes you wonder how people can judge each other on skin colour. Disgusting treatment of people and should never have been allowed..

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
I have tears I'm my eyes as I write this review having just finished this most powerful and thought provoking book.

5.0 out of 5 stars very moving story, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
great to read before seeing the film .an amazing story of courage .Shows how wrong slavery of any kind is inhumane

4.0 out of 5 stars sadly amazing, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Twelve Years a Slave (Kindle Edition)
This autobiography may be archaic in writing style but is a graphic account of the horrors of slavery. The characters come alive in the descriptions and it is nightmarish to think of their suffering.

‹ Previous | 1142 143 144277 | Next ›