Published 5 months ago by Chris M

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute waste of money!
An absolute waste of money - do not buy this book unless you need help making a peanut butter sandwich.

I was persuaded to buy this book on the basis it had a few interesting looking recipes, which it does. However on reading it properly it quickly became clear a majority of the recipes are very mundane and basic and definitely not worth paying up to £20 for...
Published 5 months ago by James Tindall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic recipe book that just happens to be inspired by the most fantastic city in the world… in my opinion, 12 Jan. 2015
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book having not heard of Marc Grossman and I was a little worried that it might be more style than substance. However my scepticism was entirely unfounded and the recipes in here are excellent with beautiful images and fantastic instructions. I have made some wonderful things, in short if you like cooking and New York, you will love this book. I have posted a recipe list at the end of this review but now if you want a little more description about the book read on (otherwise skip to RECIPE LIST at the end…).

If I had to choose one city as my favourite it would be New York; I like to experience places through food so this book very much appealed to me and in short it is my favourite recipe book inspired by this great city.

The book is written by an authentic New Yorker, Marc Grossman, who now lives in Paris. In the introduction Grossman states these are ‘the recipes I crave the most when I miss New York’. I can only be classed as an enthusiastic tourist with regards to New York but a lot of the recipes in here strike an emotional chord with me too, not least thanks to the wonderful photography accompanying the recipes (I have uploaded a couple of images so hopefully you can see how beautiful this book is).

The book is wonderfully laid out, with brilliant photos accompanying EVERY SINGLE recipe, it is split into the following sections:

Coffee Time
Breakfast Time
Brunch Time
Lunch Time
Snack Time
Any Time

Each recipe has a title then an accompanying paragraph giving it some context or with Grossman musing about New York traditions and rituals which I love to read. Each recipe also clearly states prep time, cooking time and resting time where appropriate (e.g. for Challah bread), and thankfully the recipes are in metric (mls and grams),

Really I cannot fault this book at all, the recipes are easy to follow and has all the information that you could ever want for.

Note there is a section at the end called ‘Extras’; these are literally that, quick extras that have no images but when you read the recipe list you will see why (not the kind of recipes that in my opinion would require a photo).

So far from the book I have made Chocolate Rugelachs and Buttermilk Pancakes (not so health conscious in our house on reflection of what we’ve chosen) and both have come out wonderfully. I have literally no criticisms of this book whatsoever, if you know someone who loves NYC and cooking, this book would make a fantastic gift, or in my case it was a nice personal purchase.

RECIPE LIST:

Home Fries
Coleslaw
Onion Rings
Chicken Stock

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the pointless recipes in the first couple of chapters, 17 Feb. 2015
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for my American other half who is from New York state. Before wrapping it, I had a flick through and was initially a bit disappointed. There seemed to be a lot of filler type recipes which were quite unimpressive - we don't need to be told how to make a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, or how to blend fruit and veg into a smoothie. Most of these recipes seemed to be in the first couple of sections. Despite this, I still gave it as a present, and was very happy with the reaction. It seems that a lot of these recipes are appropriate called "cult" recipes. My American went into raptures over Black and White cookies, not eaten since childhood. Comments followed along the lines of "this is how you make a proper mac 'n cheese" and "OMG I haven't eaten those in years". We have not had the book long, but we have already made the afore mentioned black and white cookies, "proper" New York deli corned beef, and we now have dill pickles (described as slow pickles in the book) chilling in the fridge. The more I have read this book, the more interesting things I have found. You just need to skip the irrelevant and obvious type of recipes.

If you have a New Yorker in your life, they will truly appreciate this book

5.0 out of 5 stars A real taste of New York, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
I found this book by chance in a book shop, and after visiting New York a few years ago and LOVING the food, I thought I'd give it a go and I'm glad I did. The book is divided into chapters in a New Yorkers Day - Coffee Time, Breakfast Time, Brunch Time, Lunch Time, Snack Time, Any Time and Extras. It contains many famous and typical New York meals, such as, Mac and Cheese, Smoked Salmon and Cream Chesse Bagels, etc.
The author also gives you many recipes from other cultures in New York, like Matzo Ball soup, and Chinese Pork Buns, and one I can't wait to try - Cholent, which has to be cooked for 15 HOURS.
Some of the recipes included come from some of New Yorks most famous eateries, for example, KATZ Deli is mentioned with a couple of recipes, and the Hop Shing Restaurant.
It really is a perfect window to allow you to peer in to New York food without actually going there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun food, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
American comfort food. To judge by the index, the most used ingredients seem to be honey, vanilla, chocolate and cinnamon, closely followed by cream cheese and coconut oil, banana and carrot. Eggs benedict is listed under 'bacon', spaghetti with meatballs under 'carrot' - you work it out.. Some of the photos look pretty grim (they appear to have been taken in real diners) but if you love New York - and who doesn't? - man, you gotta have it

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book - Poor Index, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
Good recipes and photos, but let down by a very poor index.

The main sections of the book are themed around meal times, i.e. coffee time, breakfast time, brunch time, lunch time etc., with various recipes in random order in each section. So within the breakfast section, we have in order: Matzah Brei, Chocolate Rugelachs, French Toast and Rice Crispy Treats. Hash Browns, Smoked Bacon, Omelette and Eggs Benedict are for Brunch! OK so you have to lay the book out somehow, but there is no alphabetical index of the meals. There is a `Recipe Index' which just shows the recipes in the same random order as the main pages and an `Ingredients Index' which shows an alphabetical selection of some ingredients and the recipes that contain them; but this is not much help: the only entry for `E' is Eggplant, and under Mushroom we have `Omelette'. What were they thinking when they designed this!

If you must know Eggs Benedict is on Page 94!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
I have tried a number of the recipies now and think they are great and easy to follow. There has been the odd occasion where I have to substitute an ingredient but it has worked out well. Recommend book.

5.0 out of 5 stars No recipes for big apples in this excellent book, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
I love this book. So far I've only really cooked the buttermilk pancakes which went down a treat. There's a nice authenticity to the recipes and it is sure to be well thumbed over the coming years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 17 April 2014
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
This book is worthy to grace any coffee table...or book shelf, whilst I admit not all the recipes appeal to me, nor are they the most mind blowing...that isn't really what this book is to me....it is a memory of the times I have spent in NYC, full of beautiful illustrations and photographs, could spend hours browsing through it....warning though...it will make you want to visit New York!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Noo-Yark experience!!, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
Love this book. First time reviewer, long time lover of food. This book shows you all of those classic American Noo-Yark dishes that we here in the UK hear about though TV and movies but don't get to try as readily as if you lived in one of the boroughs.

The recipes are straight forward enough, bearing in mind I have only tried the Mac & cheese and the ultimate New York cheesecake. But even the recipe for a "knish" looks easy enough for even a novice like me.

I will continue to enjoy this book and its many delights and I hope others will to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - indulgent comfort food, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: New York Cult Recipes (Hardcover)
Great book! Definite indulgent comfort food and pretty straighforward for anyone who knows their way round a kitchen, but great fun to read and cook from.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›