4.5 out of 5 stars3,265

on 23 April 2014
I had to give this book 5 stars based on the fact that I couldn't put it down. Based on an Irish community in the Docks of Liverpool this book is realistic, humorous & emotional. The characters are so well written that I was genuinely touched whenever anything good or bad happened to one of them. I expected a light hearted tale of Liverpool folk & it was slightly darker than that which surprised me, but then also inspired some respect because it tackles some difficult and real issues of the time
Being really honest, I saw Nadines' tweet that the book was cheap on Amazon & (terribly) because she's an MP I didn't expect much - how wrong I was, I loved this book & can't wait for the next one. I would definitely recommend this - she's wasted as an MP, excellent author.
1111 comments|178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2014
I enjoyed this book. It's the story of a Liverpool docker and his family, and of the community in which they live – predominantly of Irish extraction, with roots and extended family over the water. Before I had read very much I knew I would want to finish it, which to me is the acid test of a novel.

Aware of Ms Dorries as a distinctly non-posh Tory MP unafraid of speaking out, I was curious as to what sort of novel she might write. When a Telegraph reviewer described it as the worst novel he had ever read I wondered whether that was a strictly objective judgement and wanted to see for myself. Well, it certainly isn't the worst novel I've ever read.

It's not hard to find fault with a first novel: I thought a couple of Ms Dorries' plot devices were a touch simplistic and her characters sometimes go from elation to gloom and despondency without much in between. Against that, however, she writes fluently (or her editor does) and she doesn't over-write: she does enough, but leaves some of the work to the reader's imagination, which is how I like it.

Ms Dorries creates believable characters: some you love, some you don't. I engaged with the characters and their world from the outset, enjoyed their stories and wanted to know what happened to them. I still do: I am looking forward to the sequel.
on 24 June 2014
I just wanted to let people know that this book was wonderful I took a little while to get into it thinking it was just going to describe individual families along the street but as the story develops it really draws you in and you long for a happy outcome.I can't wait to get what I hope will be a continuation of the story to find out how Nellie and Kittys story develops.
I admit I was sceptical as an MP shes not one of my favs but as an autor she was great.
on 7 May 2014
Fantastic read that will keep you gripped from start to finish. Well done Nadine Dorries. Wasted in politics, keep writing please.
on 30 May 2014
OMG, this has got to be one of the best books I've read in a while. I even ended up reading allowed to my husband. We were both gripped! A great story with so much passion in the writing. Would highly recommend this.
on 30 May 2014
From the moment I began reading I enjoyed this story. Was very disappointed when I got to the last page!
on 11 May 2014
Love this type of book and only got it after reading the reviews I can't wait to find out what happens to kitty and the rest if the four streets residents hurry up and release it I literally could not put this book down
on 21 April 2014
I received a copy of ‘The Four Streets’ via Goodreads – First Reads and Head of Zeus, publishing.

I would like to express that I hold no particular political opinion and I have never viewed ‘I’m a Celebrity – Get Me Out of Here’. I had no prior knowledge about the author. My knowledge of the author was gained after I read the book and as I went in search of other reviews, wishing to compare my views of the book with others.
It was in so doing that I came across a large number of 5* review ratings and had started to question my judgement. I acknowledge opinions differ and as a relative of mine used to say “Different Strokes for Different Folks!” however I couldn’t help thinking, had I read the same book? Quotes such as “unable to put down”, “brilliant from start to finish”, “if this isn’t a best seller I’ll eat my hat” and “riveting read” to name but a few. Alas I do not share these views.

This type of book is usually my genre of choice – I am a child of the 1950’s and raised in a Roman Catholic household.

The story was slow to start, I was initially ‘put off’ by the first sentence which reminded me of a line from a song, which kept ruminating in my head. The plot gradually improved, however the majority of the characters were not particularly endearing. In my opinion the book lacked depth and was not well constructed.

In the books’ defence the author depicts life of the struggling working classes in the 1950’s very well and a number of emotive issues are covered. I will not go into further details fearing I may spoil the reading experience.

For me a good book is one that takes me to another place in which I am totally absorbed – ‘The Four Street’ did not do that for me.

This review honestly reflects my opinion on this book.

I understand that there is to be a ‘follow up’ book – well needless to say I will not be returning to these streets!
44 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2014
Couldn't put this down. Having grown up in a working class area in another city in the UK at around the same time as this is set, though blessedly not in such difficult circumstances, a lot of aspects of daily life in this book were easily recognisable. This is an excellent portrayal of the way in which people would bicker and squabble, but still pull together to support one another during hardship and adversity and also what they sometimes did to survive, whether legal or not. Faced with hunger and deprivation, the moral compass may bend. It surely makes you realise how far we have come in the last 50 years - though let's hope some current policies will not reverse the trend.

Criticism and distrust of those from outside, sometimes undeserved respect for those in authority and fear of retribution which could take many forms and was far more difficult to speak out against at that time - all these are highlighted with great clarity - as is the often rough and ready, but genuine, love and strength that existed in individual families and amongst those who lived so close together. That sense of community is something very familiar to me and many others, I suspect.

Nadine Dorries may have achieved some notoriety for other reasons, however this book suggests she could not only be a good advocate for her constituents, showing a considerable degree of empathy, but a very good and popular author too. Look forward to her next offering.
on 24 October 2015
This Trilogy would make wonderful Christmas presents for women of all ages. All three are beautifully written page turners. The characters are totally believable - every one can be seen so clearly - like watching a movie and wanting to hear them say their next line. Some will make you laugh out loud and others will have you sobbing. There are certainly surprises along the way - to make you catch your breath - make you mad and most decidedly have you roaring for justice - which comes - but all in good time.

I bought Four Streets on my Kindle for 2014 Holiday - I did not know at the finish that there were to be two more books, making this a remarkable Trilogy.

I purchased both - Hide her Name and Ballymara Road - only this week and could not put either of them down. Recommend all three most highly.

Being a Scottish war baby I can relate to shortage of food and how every penny still counted even in the 50's but this was eclipsed by the kindness of mothers who made others less fortunate welcome in their homes to share meals and many happy hours - day in and day out.

Being a Catholic with Irish ancestors I can also relate to the importance of the characters faith but am heartily ashamed of the cruelty of so much of the Catholic Hierarchy and trust that those days can never be repeated.

Now that I have experienced the quality of Nadine Dorrie I will certainly be looking at her other books.