2,501 Reviews
 (1,701)

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read
Published 10 months ago by PLP

3.0 out of 5 stars REVISITING THE 1950's
I received a copy of ‘The Four Streets’ via Goodreads – First Reads and Head of Zeus, publishing.

I would like to express that I hold no particular political opinion and I have never viewed ‘I’m a Celebrity – Get Me Out of Here’. I had no prior knowledge about the author. My knowledge of the author was gained after I...
Published 10 months ago by Gloria

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read, 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
I had to give this book 5 stars based on the fact that I couldn't put it down. Based on an Irish community in the Docks of Liverpool this book is realistic, humorous & emotional. The characters are so well written that I was genuinely touched whenever anything good or bad happened to one of them. I expected a light hearted tale of Liverpool folk & it was slightly darker than that which surprised me, but then also inspired some respect because it tackles some difficult and real issues of the time
Being really honest, I saw Nadines' tweet that the book was cheap on Amazon & (terribly) because she's an MP I didn't expect much - how wrong I was, I loved this book & can't wait for the next one. I would definitely recommend this - she's wasted as an MP, excellent author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 30 April 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. It's the story of a Liverpool docker and his family, and of the community in which they live – predominantly of Irish extraction, with roots and extended family over the water. Before I had read very much I knew I would want to finish it, which to me is the acid test of a novel.

Aware of Ms Dorries as a distinctly non-posh Tory MP unafraid of speaking out, I was curious as to what sort of novel she might write. When a Telegraph reviewer described it as the worst novel he had ever read I wondered whether that was a strictly objective judgement and wanted to see for myself. Well, it certainly isn't the worst novel I've ever read.

It's not hard to find fault with a first novel: I thought a couple of Ms Dorries' plot devices were a touch simplistic and her characters sometimes go from elation to gloom and despondency without much in between. Against that, however, she writes fluently (or her editor does) and she doesn't over-write: she does enough, but leaves some of the work to the reader's imagination, which is how I like it.

Ms Dorries creates believable characters: some you love, some you don't. I engaged with the characters and their world from the outset, enjoyed their stories and wanted to know what happened to them. I still do: I am looking forward to the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
I just wanted to let people know that this book was wonderful I took a little while to get into it thinking it was just going to describe individual families along the street but as the story develops it really draws you in and you long for a happy outcome.I can't wait to get what I hope will be a continuation of the story to find out how Nellie and Kittys story develops.
I admit I was sceptical as an MP shes not one of my favs but as an autor she was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Four Streets, 7 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic read that will keep you gripped from start to finish. Well done Nadine Dorries. Wasted in politics, keep writing please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 1st book, 11 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Love this type of book and only got it after reading the reviews I can't wait to find out what happens to kitty and the rest if the four streets residents hurry up and release it I literally could not put this book down

5.0 out of 5 stars TERRIFIC READ, at this price it makes the "99p ..., 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
TERRIFIC READ, at this price it makes the "99p Shop"seem expensive!
Just finished Nadine Dorries "The Four Streets"and what a read.
I'm not into writing book comments,but this one has to be an exception, right thru' "Four Streets" I felt I was there from line to line, taking in the plot; the main characters ets, as the book unfolds from it's high to low points and back again..
The story line I will not relate here as fellow Reviewers have already done so, I wish however to mention its Author.

People may have differing opinions on Nadine's political career laced with an Australian adventure but one thing stands out to me: To write such a book gives an impression that she cares and understands very much about true values of family life together with the hardship around. Well done, Five Stars given, another one please don't leave it to late

5.0 out of 5 stars What a read!!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
OMG, this has got to be one of the best books I've read in a while. I even ended up reading allowed to my husband. We were both gripped! A great story with so much passion in the writing. Would highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
From the moment I began reading I enjoyed this story. Was very disappointed when I got to the last page!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Didn't expect this to be my sort of book but thought I would give it a go. So glad I did; it was difficult to put down, and I kept wanting to know what would happen next to the main characters. They were 'real people' in real situations and I warmed to them all. I didn't want the book to end and hope very much there will be at least one sequel so that I can find out what happened next! Very well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and so surprised!, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book review I have ever done and am ashamed to say that I bought the book based initially on price - I was broke! Wow, I would have paid more for it - wow an amazing book! I have tried to get the flow on but am annoyed as it's not available for purchase yet! The book was amazing and I loved the characters. I have lived the lives the characters lived and am totally desperate for more!

The Four Streets