1,295 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read
Published 3 months ago by PLP

3.0 out of 5 stars REVISITING THE 1950's
I received a copy of ‘The Four Streets’ via Goodreads – First Reads and Head of Zeus, publishing.

Published 3 months ago by Gloria

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read, 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
I had to give this book 5 stars based on the fact that I couldn't put it down. Based on an Irish community in the Docks of Liverpool this book is realistic, humorous & emotional. The characters are so well written that I was genuinely touched whenever anything good or bad happened to one of them. I expected a light hearted tale of Liverpool folk & it was slightly darker than that which surprised me, but then also inspired some respect because it tackles some difficult and real issues of the time
Being really honest, I saw Nadines' tweet that the book was cheap on Amazon & (terribly) because she's an MP I didn't expect much - how wrong I was, I loved this book & can't wait for the next one. I would definitely recommend this - she's wasted as an MP, excellent author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Four Streets, 7 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic read that will keep you gripped from start to finish. Well done Nadine Dorries. Wasted in politics, keep writing please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 30 April 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. It's the story of a Liverpool docker and his family, and of the community in which they live – predominantly of Irish extraction, with roots and extended family over the water. Before I had read very much I knew I would want to finish it, which to me is the acid test of a novel.

Aware of Ms Dorries as a distinctly non-posh Tory MP unafraid of speaking out, I was curious as to what sort of novel she might write. When a Telegraph reviewer described it as the worst novel he had ever read I wondered whether that was a strictly objective judgement and wanted to see for myself. Well, it certainly isn't the worst novel I've ever read.

It's not hard to find fault with a first novel: I thought a couple of Ms Dorries' plot devices were a touch simplistic and her characters sometimes go from elation to gloom and despondency without much in between. Against that, however, she writes fluently (or her editor does) and she doesn't over-write: she does enough, but leaves some of the work to the reader's imagination, which is how I like it.

Ms Dorries creates believable characters: some you love, some you don't. I engaged with the characters and their world from the outset, enjoyed their stories and wanted to know what happened to them. I still do: I am looking forward to the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet story, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more from the author. I found parts of it difficult to read because I could identify with characters and, as a mum, could imagine the plight of some of those young girls

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 29 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
This is a superb book, it gripped me right from page one. At the end of each chapter you want to carry on reading. A real page turner. Its a love story, its a suspense story really keeps you on the edge of your seat in parts .I am on the last chapter cannot wait to go to bed tonight!!!!! I kept it for tonight because I was getting so tired reading last night ,I wanted to enjoy the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs a follow up., 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book. Heard it being promoted while on holiday over half term, purchased it and read it in two days. Gripping storyline about women, community and survival. Really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very gripping, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Well deserved 5 stars.. brilliant storyline kept me wanting more wanting to know what happens next seemed like real life

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow up, 7 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Hope there is a follow up as I want to know how Kitty and the rest gets on... Finished to soon..

3.0 out of 5 stars REVISITING THE 1950's, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Hardcover)

I would like to express that I hold no particular political opinion and I have never viewed ‘I’m a Celebrity – Get Me Out of Here’. I had no prior knowledge about the author. My knowledge of the author was gained after I read the book and as I went in search of other reviews, wishing to compare my views of the book with others.
It was in so doing that I came across a large number of 5* review ratings and had started to question my judgement. I acknowledge opinions differ and as a relative of mine used to say “Different Strokes for Different Folks!” however I couldn’t help thinking, had I read the same book? Quotes such as “unable to put down”, “brilliant from start to finish”, “if this isn’t a best seller I’ll eat my hat” and “riveting read” to name but a few. Alas I do not share these views.

This type of book is usually my genre of choice – I am a child of the 1950’s and raised in a Roman Catholic household.

The story was slow to start, I was initially ‘put off’ by the first sentence which reminded me of a line from a song, which kept ruminating in my head. The plot gradually improved, however the majority of the characters were not particularly endearing. In my opinion the book lacked depth and was not well constructed.

In the books’ defence the author depicts life of the struggling working classes in the 1950’s very well and a number of emotive issues are covered. I will not go into further details fearing I may spoil the reading experience.

For me a good book is one that takes me to another place in which I am totally absorbed – ‘The Four Street’ did not do that for me.

This review honestly reflects my opinion on this book.

I understand that there is to be a ‘follow up’ book – well needless to say I will not be returning to these streets!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 1st book, 11 May 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Love this type of book and only got it after reading the reviews I can't wait to find out what happens to kitty and the rest if the four streets residents hurry up and release it I literally could not put this book down

The Four Streets