5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sci-fi book in a long time
This book was given to me as a present whilst in bed with flu.
I didn't know anything about the author.I don't read this type of book normally,BUT I'm really glad I did.
I couldn't put the book down,the story was very good and really believable.
Published 12 months ago by D. Fitzgerald

3.0 out of 5 stars A good well paced read, with interesting ideas and concepts.
Over all, a good well paced read. On its own as a stand a lone read it has some interesting ideas and concepts. However, at points I found that some of the narrative and ideas where straight out of the Star force series of books.
Please read before you get into Star Force.
Published 3 months ago by squibs45

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sci-fi book in a long time, 7 Oct 2013
D. Fitzgerald (coventry) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steel World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was given to me as a present whilst in bed with flu.
I couldn't put the book down,the story was very good and really believable.
Not many books these days take me away from life problems but you really feel for the people in the book and couldn't wait to see what happened to them.
I do hope another book is in the pipe line as it deserves to be a series of say 4-5 books.
The best read this year and A new author added to my Xmas list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great squad based romp, 24 Oct 2013
Reminded me of steamship troopers and the forever war but with a nice turn on use of tech.
Decent characters, good dialogue, plenty of action and an interesting overarching political structure.
I'd love to see a follow up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining., 15 Nov 2013
I'm not usually entertained by stories with a military theme, but this book was less about warfare and more lighthearted, character entertainment, with lots of action.
I couldn't help but feel fond of the main character and enjoyed the flow and no nonsense, fast pace of the story. There were in fact a few characters that were well described and enjoyable, without the boring, story interrupting process of writing pages and pages of backstory for each of them.
There was a good bit of humour in the story, and it kept me interested until the end.
I'm very much looking forward to reading the next adventure these characters have, if there is one.
It's not a masterpiece of writing or storytelling, it isn't meant to be, but it is a thoroughly amusing story to read. Anything could happen when you have a story and characters like these ones, and that kept me turning the pages.
Very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starship troopers in a parrallel universe - classic mifi., 3 Nov 2013
I stumbled on this book through my amazon recommendations. I'd seen it a few times, but didn't like the description. As is often the way, I'd run out of things to read and thought I'd give it a shot.

I found out very quickly that the description really didn't do the book justice.

Replace the 'bugs' from starship troopers with dinosaurs and mix in a machine that revives you when you die and you've pretty much got an overview of the story. Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars old style sf, 12 Dec 2013
John Monteith (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Rollicking good read, very enjoyable.
Classic science fiction. Can't wait till the next one.
I'll have to have a look at the authors other work

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, workmanlike sci-fi., 11 Dec 2013
Enjoyable, well written space opera.
Good characterisation , decent plot line and well thought out physics and physiology. I would certainly my pay to read more in this series, and will now seek out more B V Larson books.

5.0 out of 5 stars They fight. They die. They fight again., 13 Oct 2013
Thank God for a well written and well edited book for a change. I have read so many bad books recently that I was beginning to think no one cared about us poor readers any more. Just because I myself can't string two words together doesn't mean I don't have an important role to play in this relationship between the writer and the reader. Reading a book with great characters, punchy dialogue and original ideas is a great joy. So just for all the readers out there, well done and can we have some more please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recycling but not as we know it., 16 Nov 2013
Better than average kindle book with very few typos and decent grammar this author can really write, a flowing action filled storyline with a novel twist on recycling ( I won`t spoil it by explaining this ).
The book stands alone not needing to be part of a series which makes a refreshing change.
I look forward to reading some other books from B.V. Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Strength of Flesh, 14 Jan 2014
William J. Fox "KillerBill" (England) - See all my reviews
First things first, this is NOT a "new" Starship Troopers". That insults both the original and Larson's novel. It is a rite of passage of a spoiled brat growing up under fire to become on of Humanity's greatest warriors for the Terran Legions.

There are similarities to "Starship Troopers", Full Metal Jacket" and any other story which follows the life of a new recruit from training, through baptism of fire to becoming an experienced soldier. Larson has added something special to the mix. Although the legionnaires can die, due to alien technology they can be reborn minutes later ready to go back into the breach. It is the alien races that make this book a cut above many others.

The Galactics, races from the core systems, control the newer race. They consider Humans to be barely sentient and ripe for genocide except for the one thing they have which few other races can offer. At their best Humans are fighters, the most vicious and most tenacious soldiers available.

Written in the first person "Steel World" is the planet where James McGill finds his role in life as one of the Human Legions under contract to fight the lizard rebels of Cancri-9, also known as the Steel World because of the super abundance of heavy metals and rare earths which make up the crust of this very hot planet. The fighting is brutal, the pace is sometimes breath taking and the characters interesting and varied. Larson is destined to become a "great" in my opinion and I will soon be reading more of his books. I just hope Steel World is not a one-off as I would like to read more about McGill and the mercenary legions. Very highly recommended if you like action novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sick and twisted fun, 6 Dec 2013
I've read some of the authors previous work, but this was definitely one of the best books written by BV Larson.

It's sickening in parts, full of horrible violence, and great fun. It leaves questions: It makes you think "What happens when someone dies?" "Is the new copy of them a soul transfer?" but feeds you enough information without directly saying it that No, you die when killed. A copy of you is made with your memories, but you are dead. (At least that's what I got from it, it might be visited in another book)

It's also a handy mechanism for this (hopefully) new series of books by an author who usually has a stupidly high death. Now, you can get know the characters and watch them die over and over and over again.

A must buy for scifi fans