5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music beautifully played, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Clarinet Concerto & Kegelstatt Trio (MP3 Download)
Martin Frost's playing of Mozart's beautiful classic is simply wonderful. His range of tone, pace and clarity of this recording make it a joy to listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely sound, but..., 17 Nov 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This is Martin Fröst's second recording of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, following his disc made with the Amsterdam Sinfonietta Mozart: Clarinet Concerto / Clarinet Quintet in A major. I feel rather the same about this disc as I did about the last one: it is in many ways a good recording but it doesn't quite hit the spot for me.

Martin Fröst is a brilliant clarinettist. His technique is superb and he plays with a remarkable fluency and apparent complete ease. This ought to allow him to really get inside the music and give it real emotion and inner meaning, and it is here that I think he doesn't quite succeed. In spite of all the beauty of sound, the whole thing doesn't quite hang together. Especially in the Kegelstatt Trio, the extremes of phrasing and (to me) excessive rubato in places sound to me as though he is making rather studied,insincere gestures to try to make the music distinctively his own, rather than genuinely investing it with feeling, so the whole thing lacks much real cohesion.

This is a great shame, I think, because Fröst is such a fine musician and I think his recordings of the Brahms Clarinet Sonatas are wonderful. This disc may be more to your taste than it is to mine, but I will be sticking to the magnificent Thea King version of the Concerto Mozart: Basset Clarinet Concerto/Quintet and hoping that Fröst can bring some of the magic to future recordings that he did to the Brahms. I don't like to be critical, and others may like this more than me. Certainly the sound is lovely and, as always, beautifully recorded by BIS, but I'm afraid I can only give this a rather qualified recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Nov 2013
This is just cream to the ears, Martin Fröst is a true master, and I couldn't recommend him enough, if you enjoy clarinet music

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely CD, 4 Nov 2013
It is a lovely CD 1 I absolutely love it. I have recently discovered classical clarinet music and I found this CD fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Good recording, 25 Dec 2013
It was a very good recording and I can say to anyone of my friends to by it...and og course Martin Fröst is very good to listen to