on 20 May 2014
Hi All

Thanks for reading and watching my review for the Inateck Portable HDD 2.5 inch Enclosure USB.3.0.

Highlights of this product:

Need to start of with the build quality... It really is epic, especially for the pricing point this comes in at, I have seen much worse at higher prices. It's apparently Made of an aluminium alloy. To me it just feels like really good quality plastic though. I really couldn't tell.

USB Powered, no separate power supply. However does come with a separate USB powered supply if your USB can't supply the power from the one cable alone.

USB Covers to protect the connections, I have never seen these on other competitor products, thought this was a really nice feature, be it a small one to prevent any damage or dust getting onto the connectors.

Something not found on cheaper enclosures but was included on this one was the ability to screw down the HDD to the mainboard unit, this will save the HDD being moved around which can potentially affect the connectors and wear them out with the constant stress. You do feel reassured that your HDD isn't going anywhere in this. It comes with the screws/mini screwdriver as you would expect.

The USB cable used is the standard cable connector on both sides, not the Micro USB port you get with most of them so bear this in mind. Maybe a problem for others, certainly wasn't an issue for me.

Comes with a protective flannel for even more protection, good quality, properly sewn up unlike a cheaper alternative one which I have seen before. I found it keeps it protected when I am travelling around with it in my bag.

A few Negative points

No on/off button. you do need to eject the drive properly to avoid any potential corruption.

No light to show status of power or HDD activity. It does state on the box that it has a blue HDD indicator not sure if mine was faulty as I did try many ways to find out why this wasn't working but couldn't get it to work on mine.

Hope that helps anyone who is looking at this piece of hardware.

VERDICT: Great quality enclosure, one of the better ones I have used and I have used many types from different manufacturers, this certainly up there and for the price I doubt you will find better. Made by a German company and just what you would expect from the German's - top build finish!

Check out my video review of the product!
on 14 May 2014
* * * UPDATE * * *

Following my previous review, I was contacted by SpringRain. They were very proactive in trying to resolve my complaints about the product. Following some questions to confirm that I was using the product properly (yes, I was) they agreed to send me a replacement. Unfortunately, I did have to chase them for it to be sent, which lost them the fifth star, but when it did arrive, it was as I'd expected it should have been. It's a nice enclosure, lightweight but nicely made and does exactly what you'd expect of it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This enclosure does the job it is designed to do, but the quality control of the item is what has lost it 2 stars.

I paid a little extra to go for this enclosure over some of it's competitors and I'm a bit disappointed that I did.

The installation of your 2.5" hard drive involves sliding off the top cover of the enclosure; but after I'd inserted the drive and replaced the top cover, it no longer closes fully to line up properly with the lower half of the enclosure.

I've used more force than should be necessary, but still it won't go back to being properly closed. The lid itself is secure and I'm not too concerned that it'll come open of it's own accord. But there is just a small lip (<1mm) at the back (opposite end to the USB socket) end where the lid overhangs the bottom half of the encloisure and this devalues the product for me. I'll probably end up wrapping black electrical tape around the unit just to be sure. Not what you'd expect from one of the more expensive options available.

Connection-wise, it works great and the transfer speed is completely fine.
on 5 April 2014
I often `um and ah' about buying slightly pricier gadgets but after buying cheap enclosures for years thinking that I was getting a bargain I decided that I couldn't tolerate the high failure rate that comes from cheap nasty caddy design. After shopping around and reading reviews for the best product I elected on this Inateck enclosure.

Installation is quick and easy, no screws no fuss and you get a backup drive in seconds. The two significant differences from the cheaper caddies that I have bought in the past are that the USB connection for this enclosure is a standard type A at both ends and the build quality is above par. Having a standard Type A connection on the enclosure ensures that the connection is always guaranteed and that the connector won't deteriorate in the same way that the cheap drives with their mini USB connectors have in the past.

Installation is so simple, you slide off the top cover pop your drive in to the SATA connector and close the lid. That is it.

The drive transfer rates are incredible compared the old caddies that I have now discarded, the USB 3.0 interface ensures that data from the installed 640Gb Seagate Momentus (7200rpm) is moved to my SSD in super-fast time, topping out at over 27Mb per second. In the past I was used to this transfer being around 6Mbps so this drive is a massive improvement. Now I can transfer mulitple files at once with no data or speed loss.

Simple, effective and worth the price and then some. If you're not sure what to buy I'll help you, get this one for the simplicity and build quality.

I've also recently chosen the Inateck FE2003 enclosure which requires a little more time with installation but provides the same build quality and durability as this enclosure.

Whilst the FEU3NS-1E offers great performance and ease of use (no tools, no screws) the FE2003 offers a larger and tougher looking enclosure and with only 6 screws for installation it is quick to get your drive working. Installation is simple, the FE2003 comes with a sturdy PCB mounting board that shows very few components with a build quality that will prevent any of the components from coming lose or being accidently broken during hard drive fittings.

Again this enclosure has a standard Type A USB connector rather than anything smaller.
Hidden at the back of the mounting board are 2 blue LED's, I didn't even spot them until I fitted a drive and plugged it in and was surprised to see this stylish blue light emitted from the back of the enclosure allowing me to observe the disk being accessed.

The speed of this enclosure is slightly faster than the FEU3NS-1E but there is very little to compare between the two in this respect as they are both fast.

So both Inateck enclosures offer everything that you need for creating a backup drive that is fit to last;
* Standard Type A connector that won't wear out quickly
* Impressive transfer speeds
* Simple long lasting build quality
* Ease of fitting and use

For the FEU3NS-1E
* Incredibly simple installation, no tools no fuss

And for the FE2003
* 5v input cable for larger power hungry TB drives
* A sturdy frame with space and vents to allow for cooling your external SATA drive
on 17 February 2014
First of a disclaimer - I was sent this to review by Inateck. It is the new style aluminium caddy

Summary
Pro
- Simple Plug and Play USB 3.0 Caddy
- USB 3.0 cable with retained covers which actually stays in sockets
- smart design

Cons
- Is bulkier than most similar caddies
- External screws are not the same quality as the rest of the caddy

This is a simple external USB caddy designed to hold 2.5" SATA hard drives securely and to provide access over a USB 3.0 bus (backwards compatible with older USB standards too). It comes in a neat box with a USB cable (type A plugs on both sides) which fits firmly in both the caddy and the computer. This is better than most USB 3.0 caddies which come with a type A to micro-B cable which I have never had much success in keeping firmly in the caddy when not in use. There is also another USB cable with a power plug on the other end but I have not found a real need to use this yet. The main USB cable is fully USB 3.0 compliant and comes with retained covers to protect the plugs when not in use. Also supplied is a velvet style slip cover which unusually is large enough to also take the cables (a major plus point to me as virtually every other caddy I have comes with a case only large enough for the caddy and not the cables) & a screw driver and pack of screws for fixing the drive into the caddy. There is not instruction pack and unlike the older units there is not padding for protecting the drive in the caddy.

To fit the drive you pull the end of the caddy out (USB socket end) and then fit the drive in place. This is held with 4 supplied screws into the standard screw mounts on all 2.5" drives. The caddy is the reinserted (it goes in one way using the guides in the side of the caddy) and secured using 2 screws. This part is the weak point to me and the reason for the caddy losing a star. The screws are silver so show up against the rest of the caddy which is gloss black. Also they do not seem to fit very well and the supplied screw drive has a tip which is slightly too large for these. It tends to make the caddy look a bit less crisp and professional than it otherwise would.

In use there are 2 blue LED strips on the end of the drive which flash when the drive is being accessed. I have not got anywhere near the claimed speeds but do not expect to as my drive is solid state and a few year old sata 1.0 technology). In use I got speeds around 50MBs which is reasonable for this type of drive. The caddy though is capable of much faster speeds (closer to SATA 3 speeds) and I believe my drive is the real limiting factor here. The caddy also claims to support UASP for faster speeds. I have not tested this but have no reason to believe it won't have a positive effect when enabled.

Some sample speeds using my old WD SATA 1.0 160GB drive from CrystalDiskMark

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.542 MB/s [ 132.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 2.000 MB/s [ 488.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.359 MB/s [ 331.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 2.094 MB/s [ 511.3 IOPS]

And to put some perspective on this these are the results from my internal HDD so not vastly different even considering the USB bus and slower SATA standard.

Sequential Read : 83.832 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.665 MB/s [ 406.6 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.666 MB/s [ 406.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.692 MB/s [ 413.1 IOPS]
on 3 September 2015
INATECK USB 3.0 ENCLOSURE WITH ON/OFF SWITCH!
I was initially pleased with this when first arrived, simple to set up etc! first try was a ISO file 4gb copied to ordinary usb 2.0 thumb drive as a time test for comparisons, it took 4m 20s to copy, then i tried the same procedure with the 4gb ISO file to a 2.5 standard seagate hdd in the enclosure and BOOM!!! .... 20 SECONDS and it was copied! i was well impressed, But alas a week later went to use again, which is only the second time i've used this item and, oh! theres no nice blue light on this time when switched on? but the drive was still recognized in my computer, so i tried to copy a file and when the progress box popped up with details and progress bar indicator it just kept displaying the calculating time for AGES!!!! so i went to cancel the action my pc just locked up and froze? so i unplugged enclosure and pc came back on to desktop!
tried my hdd in pc to make sure no harm done and it was fine, so conclusion is enclosure faulty, which is probably why there was no blue activity light on,
to say this was only the second time of using the device, shows it is complete garbage, and a totaly waste of time and money imho!

sending back for a refund......really dissapointing!
on 18 May 2015
In review is the [All in one] Inateck 3 Ports USB 3.0 Hub with 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk Enclosure Case for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD SSD, UASP Supported, Tool-Free.

This Inateck device is not only a 2.5 in HDD enclosure but it also is a 3 port USB hub.

It's really tool free. No need to have screwdriver. I just snapped the case off, put on the HDD, put the case back on and I was ready to go.

It's simply a plug an play toy. I plugged it into my laptop's USB port and instantly I could access the HDD without a problem.

It quickly ran on USB port's power. I plugged it into my laptop's USB port, turned on the power button on the enclosure and there I accessed data on my drive.

It conveniently expands USB access (up to 3 more USB devices). Thanks to 3 additional USB ports on the side of the HDD, I can hook up up to 3 more USB devices for additional HDD access. Yahooo!

It is USB3.0 Hub so speed for file transfer is super fast.

This Inateck item can be useful for office and mobile use because it can be used as both a HDD enclosure and a USB hub. It is light and small so it can fit nicely in a backpack or those travel briefcase.
on 4 September 2015
Works fine under most conditions. But…

The USB3 connecting cable did not make connection when inserted in some USB2 sockets, so the drive is not recognised. The connecting cable was swapped for a USB2 cable which worked fine.

As there had been no previous problem with any other device (using USB3 or USB2 cables) connected to these USB2 sockets, the weight of evidence pointed to the supplied USB3 cable and not the two USB2 problem sockets. An additional USB3 cable was purchased (Lindy 0.5m Type-A male to Type-A male) to confirm. This resolved the problem, and confirmed that the Inateck supplied cable was faulty.

The USB interface on this enclosure is not compatible with the Brennan JB7 (USB 1.1 interface). A cheap Orico enclosure was purchased (Amazon ~£8). This worked fine with the JB7 device with a baseline SATA drive fitted.

In summary: the unit could not be used for its intended purpose for backing up my Brennan JB7, and the supplied USB3 cable was faulty.
on 24 September 2013
i m using this for two days now and its amazing
the writing speed for an hdd is about 90 mb/s with usb 3
also because a slightly bigger sise protects the drive from shoks
on 27 September 2013
I have used many 2.5" HDD caddies over the years and I think this is one of the best. Installing a drive into the caddy is simplicity itself. You simpy push the back of the case forward like releasing a battery compartment cover and lift it off. There is only one way to fit the drive, simply slot it in place and replace the cover. Plug in the supplied USB cable and if your PC is anything like mine, it will be detected and available for use automatically.
The device has a switch to turn the drive on and off and a Blue LED which gives a handy confidence check that the drive is operational. I really like the feel of it. It is a nice tactile plastic but certainly doesn't feel cheap. It has nice sleek rounded edges and gives the impression of solid reliable quality. Given the price of the item, I am absolutely delighted with it and its streets ahead of some the other tin-plate offerings I've had before from other vendors for more money.
on 24 April 2014
The Inatek FEU3NS-1E HDD Enclosure is a great little device for turning any 2.5" internal SATA hard disk into a portable storage device.

Although the enclosure is made entirely from plastic, it has a nice solid feel, a great sleek looking finish with only the Inatek branding on the front and does not in anyway look or feel cheap.

***** In The Box *****

1 x 2.5" Hard Disk Enclosure
1 x USB 3.0 cable
1 x Sticky foam pad (to take up any slack space if a 7mm HDD is used).
1 x User Guide

***** Installation *****

The product is very simple and easy to use and doesn't really take much installing.
Opening the enclosure was as simple as sliding the top back a little and lifting off the lid. The 2.5" HDD then just slides into the enclosure and onto the SATA data and power connectors which are fixed inside in the enclosure (see images uploaded). The lid then simply slides back into place - no tools needed and the drive can then be connected to the computer using the supplied USB 3.0 cable (the enclosure gets it's power from the USB port, so no power adapter is needed).

***** Testing *****

To test the enclosure, i used a new 2.5" 750GB Seagate Momentus and connected it to my Inatek PCI-E to USB 3.0 adapter with the supplied cable and the drive immediately appeared in Windows and was available to use.

To test the throughput of the drive, i ran a CrystalDisk Mark test and achieved a Sequential Read speed of 117.8MB/s and a Sequential write speed of 117.4.

I then ran the same test again, but this time with the enclosure connected to a USB 2.0 port. This resulted in a far lower sequential read speed of 35.75 MB/s and a sequential write speed of 27.39 MB/s.
(See images)

Note!
due to my aging motherboards PCI-E v1.0 slot, i am unable to achieve the full speed that USB 3 can provide, but the huge increase in data throughput that i see over USB 2.0 is quite substantial and well worth considering.

***** Conclusion *****

I have been very impressed with the Inatek products that i have experienced so far and the FEU3NS-1E Portable HDD Enclosure is no exception.

The enclosure has a solid and robust feel, looks great and has a very nice blue LED to show HDD activity, as well as a solid feeling on/off switch, so that you can leave the enclosure connected to the computer but turn the power off when not needed.

I would definitely recommend this enclosure and will be buying more in the future.
review image review image review image review image