5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm
I have three different enclosures like this, all from different sellers... They are all great, but I thought I would add a note regarding some specifics about this particular one which I did not know about before I bought it...

- The on/off switch is pretty handy, you don't realise the benefit of this until you use a drive without it!
- This has some soft...
Published 15 months ago by Flum

2.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you can't get it to work on Windows 7
First I want to say that there is actually nothing wrong with the product but you can have serious problems getting it too work (as I did).
The HDD I used was a drive from an old Fujitsu laptop. This laptop and therefor also the HDD drive contained a W7 and thus was NTFS formatted.
Published 1 month ago by Dominique Van Durpe

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation, Compatible With Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4 (Accessory)

- This has some soft padding inside, and comes with another extra stick-on pad to use if your drive is very thin - the one inside is not removable... this becomes relevant if you have a rather thick drive like my Crucial M4 - which is a very tight fit. On the other hand, a drive like the Samsung 840 which is fairly thin, will be a perfect fit in this casing.
- This comes with a standard size USB 3.0 cable - other cases I bought have a standard USB plug on one end, and a USB 3.0 MICRO on the other end, (that one with a little triangular zig in the plug) and this is a bit inconvenient for when you travel as you have to carry around a dedicated cable for that drive.

Overall, this is a solid product, and I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW this is a FAST enclosure!, 1 Jan. 2014
Absolutely amazed at this little box (so much so I have ordered another one).

With my Samsung EVO 1TB SSD this gives me 450Mb/s read and write, and boots the macbook faster than any external drive I have ever seen.

The design is pure genius, simplicity itself. Slide the top back, insert the drive (2.5" SSD or HDD) - insert supplied foam pad if required (only for slim drives 7mm etc), and slide the top back on. Thats it. All there is too it. Instant rapid external and portable drive.

I have also been using the second one with a 7200 WD Black disk (320GB) and that too is blazingly quick (possibly the fasted spinning external single disk system I've encountered to date).

Overall this is a great enclosure. Simple to use, simple fuss free packaging. And all at a great value price to boot - Simply brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful USB 3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure..., 25 Dec. 2013
Length:: 3:41 Mins

Video Review Summary:

→ Kit includes USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure, USB 3.0 Cable, and Instruction Manuel.
→ Product is most useful with Solid State Drives (SSD), however I had no issues using this enclosure with a regular spinning disk/platter hard drive.
→ Setup is really simple, the included instruction manual is very clear on setup and use; excellent for those who are new to hard drive cases.
→ Case is superb for upgrading a USB 2.0 portable hard drive with removable connectors (note: not all enclosed drives have removable connectors), also cheaper than purchasing an entirely new USB 3.0 hard drive.
→ Case performs at expected USB 3.0 speeds; I was able to transfer a 1GB movie in about 20 seconds, several MP3's (100mb total) in about 1 second, and several word docs in under 1 second using a USB 3.0 port on a windows 8 machine.
→ Overall, this case is a really great value at the current selling price, it's really easy to use and the performance is as expected, really a great buy.

Disclosure: I want you to know I received a sample product from the manufacturer for the purposes of providing this review. However, a review in exchange for the review sample was not promised. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the manufacturer or vendor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finish it to your personal spec, 23 Sept. 2013
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review refers to the latest version of this product with rounded corners (referred to as the "new, sleek design" on this page).

This slim and smooth 2.5" hard drive enclosure will accommodate standard 2.5" SATA hard drives or SSDs with a height of up to 9.5mm and supports USB 3. I liked the fact that access to fit the disc does not require any tools - removing the cover is as easy as taking the back cover off a mobile phone. The hard drive then fits directly onto the internal SATA interface inside the enclosure. Once the cover is replaced you have a portable USB 3 drive matching your choice of specification - in my case it's a Samsung 500GB HDD. An LED confirms drive activity and a good quality 50cm (approx.) USB 3 cable is included. Of course, the higher current associated with USB 3 negates the need for an external power lead, or, as is often the case under USB 2, a second USB plug.

I now mainly use this Inateck hard drive enclosure with my Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 8 - it works perfectly and is genuinely plug and play. I also find this enclosure works with an older HP laptop which only supports USB 2 and runs Windows Vista. The performance seems good with fast up/downloading of quite large pictures etc. taken with my Nikon DSLR. I like the design and quality of this Inateck case and, for us IT novices, there is the satisfaction of feeling you've "made" something to your own spec that actually works - for that reason I like it a lot!

In summary, a well made, compact unit that will accommodate a wide range of HDD/SSDs of your choice. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review and full demo for Inateck 2.5" External Enclosure, 4 Jan. 2014
Length:: 9:34 Mins

Demo and review of Inateck's external enclosure for HDDs and SSDs. I really like this external enclosure as it is the first time I've had one which is USB 3.0 and doesn't require any fiddling with nuts and bolts. The video shows you how it works, how to connect it properly and how to get the most out of the drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth it for 2.5 SSD drives only, 29 Oct. 2013
I bought this for a 2.5" SATA drive to use as an external drive. it arrived ontime and in proper packaging but I couldnt put my SATA drive into it because the case didnt have enough depth to put the drive in. so I assume it is for 2.5" SSD drives . I took the parts out and using them without the enclosure and its working fine .Im giving 5 stars because of ontime delivery, very slim n intact. it does the job

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable enclosure for 2.5" drives; can also function as a drive docking station, 6 Mar. 2014
Length:: 5:40 Mins

This review is for the the Inateck FEU3NS-1, USB 3.0 portable 2.5" drive enclosure. A solid choice for anyone looking to turn a 2.5" laptop hard drive or SSD into a portable USB drive, this particular enclosure has a few features that make it really stand out compared to others I have used in the past:

1) Tool-less installation. You can install or swap a hard drive in less than 5 seconds, and that's if you're moving slow. It's the easiest installation I've ever had with an external enclosure. To top it all off, the cover snaps into place firmly with a very positive action that requires a deliberate attempt to re-open the enclosure - this isn't going to just slip back open during your travels.

2) A dedicated on-off switch. My other OEM portable drives (such as the Western Digital Passport shown in the video) don't have this feature. As soon as you plug them in, the hard drive powers on and connects to the computer. With the Inatek, you can leave the drive plugged if you prefer and power it on and off via the switch on the front.

3) The tool-less installation and the dedicated power switch also mean that you can use this enclosure as a 2.5" drive dock. Keeping the enclosure plugged into your computer and the top off the enclosure off, you simply need to power it off with the switch on the front. You can then quickly insert/remove drives you want to work on, and then flip the enclosure's power switch back to the "on" to connect it back to the computer again. For anyone who needs to clone or backup 2.5" drives on the go, this is a very handy feature to speed up your work flow.

4) The standard Type A male to Type A male USB3.0 cable that is also interoperable with all USB2.0 Type A connections/cables. That means you can use any standard Type A to Type A cable for this drive should you lose or forget the one that came with it.

Using this enclosure with a Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD and connecting it to the USB3.0 port on my Windows 8.1 HP Envy 17.3" laptop (model# m7-j010dx), it maintained between 32MB/s to 40MB/s fairly consistently for both read and write speeds on various ZIP and RAR archives ranging between 200MB to 500MB in size. When transferring a larger folder from the drive to my laptop containing approximately 2GB worth of files of various types and sizes (including many files under 10MB in size), speeds ranged from 15MB/s up to 80MB/s.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with this enclosure. It performed well and installing a hard drive into it couldn't have been any easier. While aesthetics probably aren't a top priority when considering a device like this, I still have to say that I really liked the matte finish that doesn't show fingerprints and the minimalistic styling. The power/status light glows a solid bright blue when powered on and blinks while the drive is reading/writing. The manufacturer's packaging looks top notch, too, with the enclosure coming in a good looking box that has the included accessories packaged neatly inside and separated from the main enclosure itself. Inatek also includes an in-depth illustrated instruction manual, which seems to be a rarity these days. An extra piece of adhesive padding can be found in the bottom of the box that should be used when mounting 7mm thick drives in the enclosure to keep them more snugly in place, as well.

Highly recommended for anyone wanting to turn a 2.5" SATA drive into a portable USB3.0 drive or who needs a portable 2.5" hard drive docking station.

Review disclosure: I was provided a sample of this product for the purposes of examination and review. No review or particular rating was promised in return, and the opinions expressed here are my own following my first-hand experiences with this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you can't get it to work on Windows 7, 31 Jan. 2015
I installed the HDD into the enclosure which is very easy btw, it only took 2 minutes - there is even a little screwdriver delivered with the product.
When I connected the enclosure to my W7 x64 SP1 PC it didn't recognize it, although the drive was spinning and the LED's on the enclosure were on. It wasn't visible in Disk Management at all and there was no sound to indicate that it even detected a device on my USB port. I tried it on my W7 laptop, also nothing. Booted up with Gparted, also no drive visible.
I then tried to boot with a Linux Mint 17 live CD and there it WAS detected, also in the BIOS of the PC and even on my Sony BDP-S380 Blu-ray player.
In Mint in the Drive tool I removed all partitions on the HDD and formatted it in NTFS and then it worked on my laptop. On my desktop still nothing. The reason for that was a bit strange. In the W7 Device Manager the drive is detected as ASMT1051 under USB controllers (that's the USB3 controller used in the enclosure). But in the properties it said there were no drivers installed. Also when you search for drivers on the internet for this ASMedia 1051 controller you won't find any (not even on the ASMedia site). So what you need to do is remove this ASMT1051 item from the device manager (right click and select uninstall this driver) pull out and replug the USB cable of your enclosure and it will detect it correctly.

So in short:
-BEFORE you put a HDD in this enclosure make sure you first remove ALL partitions on the HDD and make a new partition formatted as NTFS.
-THEN put the HDD in the enclosure and it will be detected correctly.

The HDD I used was a 750GB Toshiba MQ 5400 rpm (8MB cache) Sata II
Connected to USB3 I get 87 MB/s read and 67 MB/s write
Connected to USB2 I get 33 MB/s read and 22 MB/s write

There also is an extra USB power cable delivered with the enclosure but I didn't need it. You can power the enclosure with only the USB cable connected (tested on my Desktop, laptop and blu-ray player).

-This aluminium enclosure has a beautiful design but I guess it might get scratched over time, we'll see.
-Some have said the HDD rattles in the enclosure, but I didn't have that problem.
-Another plus is that the USB cable is of the A-A type (not micro USB or A-B) so the cable doesn't jump out of the connector easily
-There are no rubber stands on the underside so it might fall of the table more easily because the aluminium surface is a bit slick

I had some communication with the Inateck helpdesk via mail and although they are very friendly they didn't offer much technical assistance as I had to solve this problem by myself, but I guess the problem isn't that obvious right.

I will see how this enclosure keeps working over time, maybe I'll add some more info in a year or so.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hard shell case that offers good protection for the items stored within, 8 Jan. 2015
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Just to clarify, as this review page has reviews of a couple of different Inateck products.

This is a review for: Inateck 2.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk Case HDD Protector Bag Zipper Cover, 2.5" HDD Protective Carrying Case (Black)

This Inateck case offers good protection for portable hard drives or 2.5" SATA hard drives. As well as holding Inateck good range of slim line 2.5" enclosures such as the Inateck USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD Enclosure Case with USB 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA-I/-II/-III, SATA HDD and SSD. This is a case that is made of a water resistant material, and is fairly light weight. Inside the case, one side contains an elastic strip to hold the hard drive in place and then the other side has a mesh net to store small accessories such a USB cables, memory cards and small USB sticks. There is also enough room for a USB lead. This is sturdy case, which can probably take a knock or two with little or no damage to the drive contained within. This is a case that will certainly protect your contents from scratches and scrapes and dust. The zip, is very well done, and is very heavy duty one so should last a fair while with normal use.

This case could also be used to protect and carry compact cameras and number of SD cards, a product that would be ideal for that type of job.

In summation then, this is a good case, which can be used primarily for 2.5 inch hard drives - Moreover, this is perfect for anything you wish to protect while travelling, even if it is just for your daily travel to and from where you work/study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic hard disk enclosure with blisteringly fast USB 3.0 speeds., 4 Oct. 2014
John Ryan "One man and his Kat" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Inateck is a German company, and it really shows in the design of this fantastic little 2.5 SATA inch hard disk enclosure. I love it!

What's it like?
------------------
Measuring just over 5 inches by 3.5 inches and half an inch deep, it’s has the look and rounded edge feel of a slightly old style smartphone. Made of a tough plastic type material (I’m sure there’s some poly-whatever name for it), it’s very light in the hand, and comes complete with a 24 inch long thick black USB 3.0 cable, and a blue “power on” light to indicate it’s ready to go.

The best thing about it though, is it is a completely screw-less design. You just snap the lid down and forward to expose the space inside for the hard disk. No messing around with tiny screws or fiddling around trying to find them when the drop on the floor, just snap it open, plug in your disk and snap it close.

I tested it with a real-world file size. I copied an 18.5Gb file from my MacBook Pro (SSD) to an external disk, and it copied in just under 4 minutes flat.

Very impressive.

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Snap open and shut (screw-less) design. Wonderful! (Having lost a screw on my existing enclosure I binned it - replaced with this one).
* Tough looking box that inspires confidence
* Light weight and incredibly fast

What's not so good?
----------------------------
* Nothing that I can think of. I love it.

Conclusion
---------------
Fantastic hard disk enclosure with blisteringly fast USB 3.0 speeds.

Highly Recommended.

Disclosure: I was kindly sent this by the manufacturer to give an independent unbiased review.