4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start to a series
Published 9 months ago by Stephanie Beeson

3.0 out of 5 stars not my taste I'm afraid
First off, I want to say that just because it isn't my taste doesn't mean that other people won't love it. The writing was certainly very competent and smooth, the action moved along nicely, and there was plenty of plot.

Published 8 months ago by Brunneria

3.0 out of 5 stars not my taste I'm afraid, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I just didn't like the characters much. Temi never seemed to develop a personality, the main character let herself get manipulated all the time by Simon, and, well, Simon was so irritating that I nearly stopped reading several times. Some of the other reviews seem to really enjoy the wit, banter and interplay between the three leads. Me? I just wanted the monster to rip Simon's head off, preferably after uploading a virus to his phone, tablet and blog.

His stupidities are too numerous to count, but they include idiotically pursuing photos while risking his own and his friends' lives, quipping ridiculously while in extreme peril (they all did that), and wearing inappropriate footwear while hunting a murderous monster while completely unarmed. The Trekkie references also got old fast. Very fast. So did the blog.

As someone who got all the Trekkie references, I have to say that computer nerd+Trekkie+sidekick banter= an excess of cliche.

Having read the Flash Gold series I was expecting more.... reasonable, un-social-media obsessed characters.

Sorry to seem so critical. Most of this review has been because I disliked one character (intensely) and couldn't understand why anyone would act as his partner - or put up with his idiotic behaviour. It soured the whole book for me, to such an extent that I couldn't enjoy the rest of the plot, characters or world. So perhaps you should just dismiss this review as biased!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Start to a series, 4 Nov 2013
Stephanie Beeson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this. I found it quite a light-hearted read and not too serious. I liked the way the main character kept explaining why they carried doing potentially suicidal and stupid things - it made it more believable. Having made use of duct tape on several occasions for unusual purposes (Trying to attach an oil soaked rag to a branch to make a torch for one) I'm not entirely sure you'd get away with the way it's used here - but hey it's fiction and it's fun.

The main plot premise is a nice mixture of fairy tales and science fiction. I'm personally quite fond of re-imaginings of how old myths and legends could have been different so this appealed to me. I also felt that the hints about what had happened in the past were just tantalising enough. You can make a pretty good guess as to what's gone on, but you're not quite sure you're right.

At the end of the book the author asks for reviews to be posted to let her know if we'd like to see another book in the series. From myself the answer is a resounding 'yes please'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely different, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love all of Lindsays stories and found this one entertaining but lacking the chemistry between all of the characters. The sci-fi references were fun and I liked the way that she didn't rush the beliefs about the creature in the story and the off worlders.the character lacking in depth was Temi though. I found her tricky to connect to and frankly a bit boring. I would prefer more stories about the characters in the Flash Gold series.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and fantasy, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
first book i have read from ths author but i will be definately reading more. great plot that hinted at aliens without actually saying so. i loved the characters and their interaction. i hope ther will be other books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different Fantasy But Still A Great Story, 12 May 2014
akadingbat (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Lindsay Buroker has stepped away from her steam punk novels for this one but still gives us a rollicking good adventure with believable characters trying to get their heads round some otherworldly happenings in today's world. If you have enjoyed her previous books I am sure you will enjoy this one too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good easy read, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book. It didn't have me desperate to turn each page but it was fun and easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different!, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The tale begins on the first page! You are pulled straight in and the action never ends. The story is very unusual and at times surprising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent more of these please, 29 Jan 2014
J. L. Williams "r2oley" (wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Read this because I read everything by this author. Always enjoy her work but this was the best yet. Kind of Indiana jones meets the hobbit via the Big Bang theory. Please can we have more in this series ASAP. Loved the characters and the monster who I need to know more about why is it made of soda bottles is just the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and great work!, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book!

This is my first to purchase from unknown authoress but I'm glad I did! I found it to be fun, delightful and packed with action. I found that the story behind the 'mysterious people' among others to be really great, plus the new remix of fairy tales and science fiction. I liked that the main character wasn't the chosen one, different from other typical books of the main character as the chosen one and all. Which is great cos it makes it more interesting this way, and plus the way she took leadership without realising it and she's envious of Temis! I think its the other way around.

Can't wait for the second book!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good characters and nice pop references, 4 Nov 2013
D. J. Ketchin "living in books" (Edinburgh Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book all the way to the end.
The build up was good - not rushed and the characters acting fairly realistically.
The main 3 characters are nicely written.

But the actual main plot was lacking in punch.
It just fizzled out to me.
Maybe it was the rather understated space elves -
I like sci fi. I like fantasy. Ive read my fair share of scifi/fantasy. This was pleasant - but not gripping.
I kept waiting for it to take off and it never really did.

Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1)
2.49