on 8 December 2013
Product as described (December 2013)
So far no problems found. Appears to work perfectly.
I upgraded to windows 8.1 and tweaked it.
Product has dvd drive, 3 usb ports, hdmi port, network port, earphone port, sd card port.
These items are not mentioned in the description so I have.
Just to be clear (and because Amazon lump all these reviews together) I'm reviewing the A8-5550 version of this HP Laptop.

I was quite surprised to see a recent A8 laptop going for under £400 and one that has a fairly high speed thanks to the Richland architecture. The clock speed is between 2.1 to 3.1 GHz depending on the task (the higher speed is turbo boosted, useful for gaming).

Speed wise the CPU is roughly equivalent to an intel i5 3339Y or currnet gen i3, but as this is an APU it also has a built in graphics card in the form of a Radeon HD 8550G. This card uses system memory, though, so only leaves just over 3GB RAM for the laptop to use. There are a lot of naysayers out there who will attempt to rubbish anything that isn't Intel, but I've used plenty of AMD desktops and laptops and these APUs are pretty solid workers.

Luckily, the laptop comes with an extra dedicated card with 1GB RAM that will only turn on during more graphic intensive tasks such as gaming. There have been issues with these cards not being detected and a recent Bios and Graphics Driver update should fix this, though it's disappointing that the laptops are often not working as they should from new. That said, you'll find that most tasks and even a lot of games are perfectly playable in the standard resolution using just the built in APU graphics.

For those looking at this as a cheap portable gaming laptop, it can play most modern game at low to medium (mostly low, though) in native resolution but will struggle at 1080p in more recent games. Adding another 4GB RAM, and ensuring you get matching RAM to the 4GB already installed, will vastly improve the ability to play games. I wouldn't recommend this deliberately for gaming but it can certainly handle most games if you're prepared to play them at lower settings.

The keyboard is wide as it has a keypad, which I find essential for anything involving figures or using Excel. It does make the device as a whole slightly wider, but this is standard for most 15.6" laptops and it easily fits in the laptop case and bag.

Weight-wise the laptop is heavy, but not overly so. The design is fairly pleasing to the eye, a silver shiny finish that doesn't attract fingerprints as much as other laptops, and a plastic body which feels fairly sturdy but not overly so. It's not built for ruggedness but should be fine if looked after.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the device at this price point as an all-round laptop for every-day tasks and some gaming.
on 14 January 2014
Hi Team,

There are few points which i want to highlight it:-

1. Insensitive Mouse
2. Slow Speed
3. Hangs

Would request you to please change it with some other series...
on 10 October 2013
I ordered this laptop thinking it was good value for money but it does not have the dual graphics cards that it claims to have. The version I received had a larger hard drive but that was all. Please be aware if you are buying this laptop that it looks similar but isn't. I ordered a replacement that was also incorrect and was assured by Amazon's customer service that the specs would be corrected, but they haven't. I wish I had known this before I ordered it. To be honest if I hadn't been that tech savvy I could have easily been fooled. Don't say I didn't warn you!
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2013
I purchased this item from Amazon for two reasons.

1. price - I paid £353.89 from Amazon - the item was £450 from HP at the time, and other similar spec machines from others were £400-500.
2. guarantee - I knew if it wasn't quite right I could return it no hassle to Amazon and still have the 1 year manufacturers warranty from HP.

Spec was I5-4200U 4th gen, 4GB, 500Gb HD, DVD, Intel HD4400 integrated graphics

I thought this was a steal at the price (has 21% discount off RRP)

I wasn't too bothered about not having a dedicated GPU as would only be using for web, email & MS Office so no gaming (only minecraft)+ didn't want to increase my budget.

Fitted the bill exactly.......

Now for the laptop itself - easiest way to describe it would probably be pros /cons based on my usage.

PROS:
1. fast - quick enough for every task.
2. price - see above, well in my budget.
3. looks - great, really like it, looks classy not cheap.
4. build - nice and slim / light /feels sturdy.

CONS:
1. windows 8 (the obvious) - but getting use to it.
2. space bar - has a really bad action not like the other keys, when typing you have to make sure you hit it hard enough or it doesn't register.
3. short battery life - but I tend to have it plugged in majority of time (as with every laptop I've owned, so this is a little niggle really.

Would recommend - but as with HP's reputation will have to wait and see, but no problems so far.

Overall - Its a great budget laptop with high specs that suits my usage.

Hope this helps.
on 5 October 2013
Very happy so far with this being my first Laptop. Excellent price £383.00 sold/bought from Amazon and excellent delivery/service as per usual... It's now £649.00 from another seller...!

Excellent purchase...recommend this to anyone if you can get it for the same price..!!
on 21 February 2014
Somewhat disappointed with this, although it basically works. Doesn't seem very fast, considering what is claimed by the spec. Got over Windows 8 problems by downloading an alternative programme to make it more usable. The keys on the track- pad are really clunky, making things awkward.
on 16 October 2015
Had problems with start up since buying this, it occasionally boots into Windows. Awful will go back to Dell for all else or Apple. Currently at my local computer repair shop as I am fed up fixing it myself from the command prompt. Bios update required. Terrible PC.
on 30 March 2014
HP this has been very poor since day 1 .It will not update and I have been having problems with it constantly crashes and I am not satisfied. I could not get a replacement computer to the correct specification I ordered a i5 and got a i3.
on 3 November 2013
If you simply google/wiki Haswell intel processors and look under the mobile processors you will see that the i5-4200U has a Intel HD4400 Graphics; NOT a HD4600 as advertised. Given that the HD Graphics cards come twinned with the intel CPUs, I doubt they have changed this!