5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine
I didn't buy this from Amazon but nonetheless thought I'd share my experience with shoppers

Published 11 months ago by B. Shepherd

2.0 out of 5 stars most horrible screen ever
pity as it is a good laptop overall. although it comes with windows 8.1 for some reason even though it doesn't have a touch screen. but the screen is so unimaginably horrible, it is just difficult to believe how bad it is!

Published 10 days ago by S. Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, 28 April 2014
This review is from: ASUS G750JH 17.3-inch Notebook (Black) - (Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD, Blu-ray/DVDRW combo, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8 Home) (Personal Computers)

Having previously had a custom built gaming laptop from a UK vendor, I knew more or less what to expect with a machine of this spec. It is heavy granted but you don't buy these things expecting them to be one-handed carry items. The pros far outweigh the disadvantage of weight.

It is fast, really fast - raided SSDs, a really quick processor and memory, even the secondary 1tb hdd is pretty good. The GPU is great - I play GW2 and CIV5 as well as a few other Steam games and most can be played with max settings. The great thing about the laptop design is that even when stressed, the cooling system is the quietest I've known for a laptop of this level. A big plus for me personally.

Some reviews have commented on lack of wifi strength - so far I've had no issues in this respect.

The screen is a beautiful thing too, plenty bright enough for games although not tried any films yet so can't comment on the trueness of blacks etc.

The all alu keyboard surround and palm rest is very nice, feels quality, as do the keys when used. Trackpad is also impressive with multifinger input that works surprisingly well. A nice touch is that you can set this to be disabled when a mouse is plugged it - helps a lot when typing!

Battery life is,.. well it's a gaming laptop so it's never going to be great, and who'd use it unplugged anyway?

I was in two minds when I bought this as had a lot of other options, but I'm glad I bought it in the end. Hope this helps people in a similar situ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 22 May 2014
I'd been looking for a while at a desktop replacement which I wouldn't be replacing in a hurry and it came down to this or an Alienware17.
I've owned a number of Asus products in the past, GPU's Mobo's and and laptops and they've always been great, never a problem. (I know this is no guarantee of future products but you do tend to go by your experience).
Anyway my ageing F3J, although still working fine just won't deal with alot of modern software any more and my Crosshair Desktop is equally finding things a struggle, especially more modern game titles.

Since I've only had it a couple of days This is more of a initial observations than an in-depth review.
Some random points

Windows 8.
First time using it, updated to 8.1 and yeah it's a bit different but then so was 95 over 3.1x .Either you like it or not. doesn't really matter.

Hard Drives
This laptop has SSD although I hadn't realised it's actually 2 128gb SSD's not one 256gb one. Doesn't matter to me but might to someone.
GPU
This unit has the GTX780. I looked at the newer version with the 8 series but all the reading I could find seemed to suggest that there wasn't enough of a benefit in going for the 880 given how much extra it costs.
Memory
Again, it's got 16GB memory and while this is unnecessary, as I mentioned I don't intend replacing this any time soon so think of it as future proofing. I'm also hoping to get some image and video editing done so certainly it's not going to hurt. Added to that, even right in the middle of any game I've thrown at it so far, I can close the lid and it's in sleep mode in about a second and a half. Doesn't take that much longer to start up again once you open the lid too, straight back into whatever you left of at. No stuttering, buffering. Certainly this is the case with Borderlands 2 and Skyrim with all the settings at max (!).

Chassis,screen noise etc...

It's heavy. Not uncomfortable sitting on your lap heavy but noticeable when you stand up after a few hours on your lap heavy.
Feels a nice solid build with a brushed aluminium top of the keyboard. Hinge on the lid feels nice and resistive although only time will tell if it eases any.
It's not the quietest either. There are a couple of big fans in there keeping everything cool although it's not much louder than my old laptop so it doesn't bother me.
I've not played for hours on end so I can't attest to how hot it gets but Id' imagine it might be on the verge of uncomfortable at full load for hours on end, in particular on the left hand side, where the GPU is I assume.

Cons.

The brushed topsheet picks up fingerprints very easily. Thats just the finish I suppose. It'll either bug you or not.
As this is the assassins creed 'version' the logo is on the topsheet under the direction buttons. Unfortunately it's etched into the alu so short of painting it out you're left with it. Again it'll bug you or not.

The power connector is really short, that is the metal plug piece that goes into the actual body. Because of this you can wiggle it side to side a bit . Given how chunky it is it'd be easy to catch it and pull it out which might cause issues on the inside? as long as it's pushed all the way in it seems ok.
Thats probably my biggest gripe.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% customer satisfaction, 9 Dec. 2014
After purchasing one of the ASUS ROG G750JH-T4188H from Amazon I was very impressed with the quality of graphics on the full HD 17.3” screen. The Blu-ray player and all round feel of the Notebook was superior to other gaming brands I have tried previously such as MSI and Alienware. 100% customer satisfaction!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 18 July 2014
Wonderful machine. Ordered from Amazon, came exactly on date.

By now I have tried Assassin's Creed IV and Battlefield 3, both on max settings. Runs perfectly smooth at steady fps and the machine barely heats. Had a few issues with Windows 8.1 update, but the solution is perfectly googlable.
I would recommend this laptop for enthusiastic gamers

5.0 out of 5 stars this is my first time using a gaming laptop with any kind of decent spec and it has pretty much blown me away, 23 Mar. 2015
P. Garland (England) - See all my reviews
I have been an avid gamer for over 20 years, this is my first time using a gaming laptop with any kind of decent spec and it has pretty much blown me away. Really happy with the machine, everything about it feels and look good quality.

There are a couple of negatives, firstly windows 8 is really annoying, I have spent most of my time trying to work out how to do simple tasks, even shutting it down and logging in is horrible. But I feel it unfair to mark the computer down based on my feelings about windows 8. Secondly as mentioned by others it is heavy for a laptop which would limit it's mobility, frankly this doesn't bother me in the slightest but I am sure it will some.

Otherwise this machine is a beast and exceeded my expectations by a long way, it's just been a few days but so far ir does everything faster and better looking than my desktop (which isn't top of the range but is a reasonable spec).

2.0 out of 5 stars most horrible screen ever, 17 Mar. 2015
S. Music (London, UK) - See all my reviews

imagine playing a game such as flaming cliffs 3, flying a night mission, and not being able to see the upper half of the screen!!!! because the viewing angle (despite what they say) is so incredibly narrow that you have to get up and look at the screen from above to be able to see it all!

this has turned into such a gaming disaster as i paid nearly £1000 for it. needless to say, i will never buy an asus computer again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally satisfied with this product, 2 Sept. 2014
Totally satisfied with this product. No issues so far and anything I've tried on it worked at it's best. I would definitely recommend :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome laptop, 2 Dec. 2013
pros: great processor (i7 4th gen)
good amount of RAM (8gb)
pretty good graphics card
league of legends plays at constant 60fps at ARAM with good graphics, which if you are into that stuff you know that it is pretty good
really good ventilation
really good price for what you get

cons:weird design, but easily getting used to

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not believe the published specifications. I have wasted my money on this., 15 Jun. 2014
I know that the marketing nonsense targets 'gamers', whoever they may be, but I like to think that I can see through the smoke and mirrors and select a laptop that will provide the hardware that I want. This one looks very good: it has a high-end processor, provision for plenty of RAM (32Gb, potentially), and provision for two disk drives. This provides all the capability of an up-market desktop machine in a laptop form. There are some really welcome touches, like a back-lit keyboard, which I have always thought would be a great idea when, in the past, I have had to use my laptop in less well-lit places.
I have to be fair to Asus, I have been buying Asus products for well over a decade (since the first 'Terminator' petite desktop). I used to be a reseller in a small way, and I have both re-sold and used Asus laptops, motherboards, and other parts enthusiastically.
Generally, you can trust the engineering of Asus products: I have rarely had reason to be unhappy with the quality or performance.
I bought this laptop (G750JH) to replace an aging Asus M70V laptop, purchased about 6 years ago. That was the up-market laptop of its time, with big hi-res screen, plenty of RAM capacity and dual disk drive capability. When I purchased the M70V, I was really fed up to find that it did have the potential for two HDDs, but that there was no little metal frame provided to mount a second drive. Asus would not give or sell me one, and I had to send the laptop back to Asus's repair facility to have it 'upgraded' at my expense.
The G750JH was advertised as having an SDD and an HDD, The published (on-line) specification says "Dual HDD Support". So this time, I felt comfortable that the laptop already contained 2 disk-drive devices, so that there could be no missing mounting hardware. I spent over £1600 on the laptop, and I bought a couple of 1Tb SDD devices at a cost of about £700. My plan was for a fast (SDD); RAID (two mirrored drives gives data security); with high capacity (1Tb). The laptop came with 16Gb RAM, but this is using only two of the available memory slots, so that it would be easy to add another 16Gb to make a very respectable 32Gb RAM. All-in-all this would make a very fine laptop.
However, those cheating rats at Asus have screwed me again, and I'm REALLY unhappy. This laptop DOES NOT support dual disk drives. Once I removed the rear access panel, I find that there is provision for one HDD, and the potential provision for the second HDD is replaced with a PCB containing two PCIe storage modules. This time, not only is there no HDD mounting frame, but there is no appropriate connector either.
I have seen over two grand go out of my bank account, supposedly to make a new laptop that would set me up for the next five years; now I realise that it is a lot of good money down the toilet because of Asus' misrepresentation.
Actually, I do think that this is a case where the specification says 'Dual HDD Support' and there is no such support. This is a case for the Trade Description Act, I think. I have complained to Asus, but I'm not holding my breath. I will update this if things unexpectedly come good.
Another, very much more minor, complaint is that I find that the laptop has an advert for some computer game: "Assasins Creed" or something similar, and a 'Republic of Gamers' logo actually PRINTED on it in the area below the keyboard. There are the usual annoying Intel, Microsoft, and other stickers, but these peel off and the remaining glue is not that difficult to remove. I have asked Asus how I can clean the printing off the laptop, but I'm not hopeful.
As I say, I understand why they may want to direct some of their marketing as 'gamers', but I do not see why my use of what should actually be a fine laptop should make me look like I've borrowed it from a 15 year old!