Published 7 months ago by Blue Flamingo

1.0 out of 5 stars Crash (Blue Screens) out of the box, fails windows updates.
Stay away - repeated crash straight out of the box, factory reset fails, windows updates fail, two days of trying all suggested solutions. Returned for refund.
Published 8 months ago by Mr. Paul Peard

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole Lot Of Computer For A Relatively Modest Financial Outlay, 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: ASUS X551CA 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 Home) (Personal Computers)
I got this computer when my HP laptop went kaput after just 2 years! I'm glad I did as it's a great computer. On first using it, I too felt it looked and felt 'a little cheap' in comparison to the sturdier appearance and chassis of my HP however these are mild criticisms of what is proving to be a very good purchase. I like the feel of the keyboard, I do wish it had a Caps Lock light however it's nothing too serious.

The on-board sound settings are excellent, I'm hearing things through my speakers I hadn't before now. There are tons of sound options which can be accessed via the Realtek HD Audio Manager. There are options to listen in a whole variety of Environments such as Club, Concert Hall, Auditorium, Living Room and even in a Padded Cell, Forest or Cave! There is also the option to Equalize Loudness so all tracks played are at the same level which is great. There's also the option to change music settings from say Gaming mode to Music and Movies mode through the included Audio Wizard software.

I don't know if the computer would be adequate for gaming or streaming HD movies however for run of the mill activities such as surfing the web, email, listening to music and whatnot (which is why I got it) I think it's ideal. A mention must be made of the start-up time which is mere seconds and even when it's hibernating, it's back up and running in no time at all. I will concur with what others have written, it does pick up a lot of fingerprints. The screen is great, colours are well defined and it isn't annoyingly reflective which is a bonus.

My main gripe isn't with the computer at all but with Windows 8 (but that's another matter entirely) whereby I can be typing away and then suddenly I'm back at the Tiles page but this is remedied by remembering to only use the left-hand side of the mouse pad during those times.

I'll readily admit that I got this laptop because my old one died and I needed a decent replacement on a budget. Even with no budget constraints I would be only too happy to buy this again. Minor quibbles aside, it's a whole lot of computer for a relatively small financial outlay. A good buy indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and surprisingly high quality, 8 Jun. 2014
Jayarfer (Stony Stratford UK) - See all my reviews
Having read some mixed reviews about quality and finish I am delighted with this purchase. Firstly, I'm an IT professional but wanted a cheap and cheerful full laptop so that I can take abroad to work - a workhorse not a fashion icon. It needed to be powerful enough and have sufficient features that I could still function away from home - I run my own website design business. This machine has exceeded expectations. Firstly quality and appearance. It appears solidly build, with a keyboard that feels responsive and precise. The only downside to be honest is that there is no caps lock light. The mouse pad is a lot better than my other laptop which is an HP and again functions precisely and smoothly. The casing is a textured finish not unlike some Compaq or HP laptops. Yes, it will mark with sweaty hands, but a soft cloth cleans it down nicely.
The screen is quite shiny but lovely and clear. Fine in normal and even bright light.
Performance for an inexpensive (well relatively) laptop is very good, multi-tasking without hesitation or any obvious delays and everything loads very quickly. The startup time is very quick from a cold startup, maybe that is Windows 8. It runs quite fast too. Compared with many PC's and laptops this could be said to be a quick machine. Certainly better than others I have tried in this price bracket recently. Installing software from the built in DVD drive was very quick and startup of apps is fast too.
It's not preloaded with Windows 8.1, but Windows 8. Updating is reasonably straightforward but I wouldn't say would be easy for a complete novice. Overall Windows 8 (or 8.1) is what it is. I don't find it as off putting as many, but wouldn't say it was Microsoft's moment of glory! You can at least now setup to run in a mode that at least resembles older versions for those wishing to stay with the previous look.

I'm going to give this 5 starts as overall it does represent good value, does better than expected and was delivered very quickly into the bargain. I may revisit my allegiance to tier 1 manufacturers if this laptop continues to perform as it has set out to do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Such good value that you can accept the cons!, 12 Aug. 2014
Paid about £295 (deal of the week) for the Intel Core i3. Excellent value as you would normally get the ‘lesser’ Intel Celeron or Intel Pentium for this price! Secure packaging.

Pros: Such good value that you can accept the cons! Light weight, quick start, great screen resolution, good battery life, made out of good quality material, quiet and full keyboard.

Cons:
- Expect to leave fingerprints all over your laptop because the material is a hard plastic type; the natural oils from your skin will transfer.
- If you touch type fast, there is a slight bothersome 'hollow' sound from tapping the keys (not as noticeable if you type slowly).
- Upgrading to Windows 8.1 can take at least 6 hours because you need to do about 93 Windows updates first before you can upgrade to Windows 8.1.
- No indicator light when caps lock or num lk are on/off.
- Your DVD player may not play DVDs, you’ll have no idea why and no indication of what to do! Try downloading codecs for your DVD player (mine only worked after downloading Windows 8 codecs AND K-Lite codecs combined). Also, remember to set the DVD Region.
- The Windows 8.1 sliding ‘charm’ window will keep opening up when you’re working which can be irritating. To my knowledge, there is no way to stop it except to avoid using the far right hand side of your mouse pad (mouse pad has shortcut qualities).
- If you’re working from a USB stick, expect Windows Explorer to work slowly and stall frequently.
- There may be quite a few pointless pre-installed programmes that you’ll want to remove.

Many people complain about Windows 8.1; it’s not great but if you approach using it slowly and logically, you just need time to find your way around the operating system. This laptop doesn't come with MS Office installed (no surprise given the inexpensive price) but offers a trial version of Office 365 and paid upgrade option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exclellent VFM, 16 Jan. 2014
For the money, this has to be one of the best low-priced laptops around. It's been in use for two months now, and has performed flawlessly. It's quite lightweight, charges fast, runs fast, shuts down and starts up fast, and generally does everything needed. The i3 processor and memory combo is more than man enough for everyday use, while the 15.6" screen is really crisp and sharp. As far as I'm concerned, it was a brilliant buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop, 13 Jun. 2014
Very pleased with my purchase. I am finding it really easy to use which is good as I am a complete novice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crash (Blue Screens) out of the box, fails windows updates., 16 Sept. 2014
Mr. Paul Peard (UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars great value for money, 24 July 2014
Good value for money, however be prepared for at least 3 days of updating to the latest windows 8.1
Whatever you do, do not switch it off during the updates, just leave it, despite it looking as though it isn't doing anything. Its all happening in the background, I learnt my lesson and ended up having to go through a system restore which was a pain!!

I left it alone after that and after 3 days it was ready to be used.

Now its a fantastic bit of kit, the keyboard isn't brilliant for lots and lots of typing, but for the price you can't really complain

4.0 out of 5 stars A budget laptop with nearly everything I need of it, 11 Aug. 2014
I'm going to start by stating I am not an overly technical minded person, so will not be able to give you detailed info about the ins and outs of the workings of this laptop, but there are excellent reviews already that can give you this. My review is more based on my experience so far with this product, and the few technical aspects I do understand that I feel are good general user info to have.

My overall impression of this laptop is of good quality for its price. The build of the laptop feels like it is a more expensive laptop. I bought the one with an 'intel i3' processor as I was told it was much faster than the cheaper model which is the intel celeron model (whether for general use it makes much difference I don't really think it does). I have found this processor to be able to handle everything I have thrown at it very well. It handles me playing games on the laptop well (both older games and new-ish games like Civ 5) and also seems to flawlessly multitask.

As for the mentioned 2 second start from sleeping which it states in the product description, my experience is that it does indeed start up from sleep within 2 seconds every time.

The computer has one USB 2.0 port and one USB 3.0 port. (Both can be used for any USB device). The USB 3.0 port is new to me, and my external harddrive which had USB 3.0 capability gave me a chance to try this function out. Whereas on my old computer it took me 6 and a half minutes to transfer about 6GB of data onto my external harddrive, transferring this onto my new computer took around 45 seconds. I'm really happy and impressed with that!

When I play games I tend to connect the laptop to my tv for a bigger screen, and this laptop can do this with its HDMI port. It also has an older port for connection to standard monitors and also to projectors, so this comes in handy when I give presentations at work.

Windows 8 requires some getting used to if you are coming from an earlier version of getting used to (and is a whole contraversial can of worms to open if I am to start talking in detail about it!). The trackpad of the laptop seems to have some gesture technology, which sometimes (rather frustratingly) makes me open menus on the screen when I had no intention to do so. I'm sure if I searched a bit more I would find a way to turn this off.

The laptop came pre-installed with a 30 day trial of Mcafee internet protection, so I had no issue connecting to the internet immediately, and it has given me a 30 day period to decide whether to purchase further protection with them or to install another antivirus.

The keyboard area also includes a number pad on the right, something I have missed on other laptops.

Build downsides are that the battery is fully encased in the bottom (and so when it needs replacing in a few years time as they inevitably do, it will not be as easy as just removing the old one and plugging the new one in). 2 USB ports is ok, but I would prefer 3 or 4, as once I have my wireless mouse connected I am only able to connect one other device at a time. Also the plastic casing looks smart and the brushed effect around the keyboard is smart, however expect fingerprints all over it as for some reason it just seems to attract finger marks on the plastic no matter how many times you have washed your hands. When you have caps lock on, there is no light to say this (this is only a minor irritation, a few strokes of the keyboard and you realise if its on or off anyway).

Taking the above points into consideration, as well as the excellent price I want to give this laptop overall a score of 4 stars. It is easy to use and easily handles my medium usage (both work and play).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 24 May 2014
As a silver surfer this laptop is everything and more that I need for home use. Every programme works really fast which a a great improvement on my previous laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars it is fine until it reaches the 48hour mark, 17 Sept. 2014
it is fine until it reaches the 48hour mark, then it randomly does windows updates and fails them leaving the laptop constantly failing the windows updates leaveing the laptop useless. i bought this laptop when it was 274 pounds from amazon. i called them and they wouldnt send me a new laptop just the money back. worst thing is im a student so money is very hard to comeby espeacially when having to buy a decent and fast laptop for college.