4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop for the price
Bad Points are the keyboard and the mouse pad.
Nice design and runs smoothly, runs football manager well and apps well.
Windows 8 is amazing!
Published 15 months ago by harrison

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for anyone who doesn't game on this.
This is an okay laptop, and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who does not do any half-decent gaming or YouTube.

Pros:
Cheap for what it's worth
Delivery good :)

Cons:
4 GB RAM? Are you joking?
Hard drive smaller than my external mouse

Published 19 days ago by max d

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop for the price, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: ASUS X551CA 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Celeron 1007U 1.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 Home) (Personal Computers)
Bad Points are the keyboard and the mouse pad.
Nice design and runs smoothly, runs football manager well and apps well.
Windows 8 is amazing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for anyone who doesn't game on this., 6 April 2015

Pros:
Cheap for what it's worth
Delivery good :)

Cons:
4 GB RAM? Are you joking?
Hard drive smaller than my external mouse

I ordered this for working on programming, and a bit of gaming. For both, you can't complain for the price, but I cannot use this very well for either.
Programming - booting up a coding client takes well over thirty seconds - it sounds like not very long but it really is. It keeps bugging out and I have no idea if it is my coding that is bugging it or it is bugging itself. Trust me, it's the latter.

Gaming - no.

For Miniclip (who games there?), I can get a solid 40fps in a quite demanding game.
Step into an average low processing game like SimCity, and it'll hit 30 FPS.
Minecraft is where it gets tricky. Playing online in a 150 player server and using Skype too, with a non lag mod, will get me on average 50 FPS - but my PC can do absolute JACK ALL white it is running MC. It's the RAM - what kind of PC has 4 gigs of RAM in one socket? This is poor by ASUS standards.
A demanding game, Need for Speed Most Wanted(2012) cannot run. I have to turn five seconds BEFORE I go round the corner to actually get round it. I've tweaked the settings a bit - still can't get over 5 FPS.

The keyboard and mouse are very low quality - I spilt a small drink over it and it does not work - I am using an external gaming keyboard and mouse now. The keys were always unresponsive and it has not got a Caps Lock indicator. Also, ASUS tried to fit in a numpad, which squashes all the keys to be smaller, and I always had hit the wrong key. The SHIFT and Enter buttons are also tiny. Plus, the mousepad is slightly offset to the left, so I had always missed it and hit the actual PC rather than the mousepad. -_-.
Also I nearly electrocuted myself when the plug fell apart. It's now hanging off of the plug socket by about seven thin cables.
Well done ASUS. You've outdone yourselves this time.

DO NOT YOUTUBE ON THIS. Rendering on this is impossible, you can't record in a better quality than 360p without crashing. The i3 processor is just bad and I am now having to dish out more money.

If you've got a monitor, keyboard and mouse to spare, building your own desktop PC for this price is tons more efficient and cost-effective, and is completely user upgradable. A youtube channell called Austin Evans made a build like this called the Boson and even has a tutorial on how to build it. It's like adult Legos.

Now I'm forced to dish out around 50 pounds for 8 gigabytes of RAM and another eighty (later, probably) for a new processor. An AMD one.

5.0 out of 5 stars great purchase, 14 Jan. 2014
This is my first personal lap top and although I do struggle a bit with it I find it easier to use than our old computer. This is definatly worth evey penny my wife spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary, 29 Jan. 2014
Bought this for my daughter, easy to set up. every thing about it is easy to use.Daughter very happy with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with this laptop, 13 Nov. 2014
Very disappointed with this laptop, after only a couple of weeks, it started to play up until eventually it was developing more faults than I care to mention! Wouldn't recommend this make to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor value, 27 Sept. 2014
This item has stopped working,we have only had it for nine months ,very poor value and disappointed only windows warranty for 2 months which is not long! You would expect 12 months at least!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suits the purpose, 18 Feb. 2014
I needed a laptop that has reasonable battery life, runs quickly, doesn't crash, doesn't need a technowizard to add a printer/scanner and offers value for money.
This Asus ticks the boxes and I don't regret buying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I really hate Asus. Build quality is very cheap, 28 July 2014
C. F. Howat "Craig" (Cotgrave Notts UK) - See all my reviews
I really hate Asus. Build quality is very cheap. Firstly the plug. Such poor design and when plugged in falls apart on the wall. As the cable element is below the 3 pin plug gravity pulls it apart. I mean Asus can't you even design a plug!!!
As for the cheap plastic computer. Its loaded windows 8 which is completely rubbish and even worse on a non-touch screen. It is very slow processing. Keeps crashing for no good reason. Aerial very poor and fails to pick up Wifi

The USB cables on wrong side for right hand person meaning trailing cables. Its a really nasty cheap unusable laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars asus x55ca 15.6-inch laptop, 3 April 2014
P. West (kent) - See all my reviews
I choose that rating because I hate the computer, I just cant get used to it and very much wish I hadn,t bought it

1.0 out of 5 stars laptop, 31 Jan. 2014
Disappointed with this item,on the way back as it keeps shutting down when using it,getting refund to buy another make else where