4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy series addition
Published 7 months ago by Nicola_1202

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well but...
Published 7 months ago by Laura

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy series addition, 12 Jan 2014
Nicola_1202 (South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
Och, she's done it again (I'm part Scot, couldn't resist) and whilst I found it quite predictable in comparison to On Dublin Street and Down London Road, Before Jamaica Lane was still a great read and I loved Olivia and Nate. Liv's sweet, kind and fun and her vulnerablities are realistic ones; they aren't as deep or painful as Joss or Jo's and this made for a refreshing addition to the series. As for Nate, you can't not fall in love with him. He may be a player, but get to know him and there's plenty more to him.

With our favourite characters all playing an important part, it has emotion, passion and intimacy but ultimately my heart went out to both Liv and Nate as their story is one that you become completely invested in. The thing I do love about Samantha Young's writing is how she encompasses the real in these books; You can't beat a good escape from reality but I also equally like realistic elements every now and then. From losing virginity to flatulance these bring that. Let's be right, how many of us have lived the perfect romantic dream of flowers, candles and losing your virginity to the love of your life and the man you marry?

A worthy addition to the series and Hannah's story has been set up nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally Charged and down right amazing!, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Paperback)
I have had this book for review since before it was even released, I know I am such a bad book blogger. Why the hell didn't I read it straight away?!? I honestly have no idea because I adore Samantha's books! I think she is such a talented authors. Her books are always so easy to read and even though this book is a chunky length I devoured it in 2 sittings. It would have been one if I didn't have to go to work and look after The Kid lol!

Before Jamaica Lane is quite possibly my favourite title in the On Dublin Street series. There is just something so enchanting about the story that I got completely sucked into the lives of these characters. This time we get to focus on Olivia "Liv" and Nate. Olivia is very shy around men. Nate is a complete player but a lovable one. After Olivia moves from America to Edinburgh and is welcomed into the gang she quickly becomes friends with Nate. Their friendship isn't force it's very natural and as the story progress's it becomes very intense ;) I really like Olivia. She is funny, kind and sweet. Nate is cocky, a player and so bloody hot that it is insane. But the chemistry between these two sizzles off the pages.

As well as reading about Liv and Nate, we get to catch up on all the characters that I had grown to love in the previous books!! The group together really work. They all have individual personalities that they just all fit together perfectly and creates a very strong group of best friends.

I got so invested in these characters story that I felt everything they went through. I laughed and I cried , A LOT! I don't just mean the odd tear I mean full on sobbing!! I was a complete mess. I first started reading this on the bus going into town and I actually burst of laughing in public. People looked at me like I was crazy. If you have the UK Edition of the book go to page 41 and you will see why I ended up doing a real LOL. Now for the crying, oh dear I cried so much through this. At one point I had to stop reading for a few minutes to get calm down, only to pick the book up and start crying again. So if you are a someone who cries easily then be warned this is so emotional!

Before Jamaica Lane is one of those rare books that, even though it was just over 400pages it only took me a few hours to read in total (I read this is 2 sittings). This is mainly because the author is such a beautiful and flawless writer that you actually forget you are reading a book. I swear the whole book played out as a movie in my head. Samantha has created something unique and addictive with, not just this title but all her On Dublin Street novels. Each getting better than the last!!

So if you haven't read this series yet go start them now!!! They are not to be missed! If you have read them then this is a must read. I can not fault this book at all!!! Now bring on the next book!!!

*Received in exchange for an Honest review*

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well but..., 14 Jan 2014
Laura (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
I've enjoyed the other books in this series and I like the authors writing style and wit and for the first half of this book I was enjoying it. Liv made me laugh and her jokey relationship with Nate was great but then once Nate started to give her the 'lessons', it all just fell flat for me. The development of their so called relationship just never worked for me. They just felt like f-buddys especially as they were trying to keep it secret from their friends and families.

I didn't feel them fall in love and the reason given for Nate being a commitment phobe and not wanting to ever fall in love again I found unrealistic. He had a childhood sweetheart who died when she was 18 but they never had sex. I don't know how at 28 he was still letting that effect him and then when he did realise he was in love, Liv was not interested because he had been in love with the childhood sweetheart and she wanted to be someones great love and felt she couldn't settle for being second best. I'm sorry but for a 26 year old that came across as not only immature but also selfish!

Most of the plot became predictable. I knew what he would do with his tattoo, I knew he would bump into her and Benjamin, I knew she would bump into him with another woman, I knew they would somehow end up in the room in the library blah, blah, blah. All the other characters from the previous books feature and Hannah's story was obviously being set up in this book I feel her story is just going to be same as the previous ones in this series. I would rather read Cole's story.

I feel disappointed that in the beginning I was loving this story but the fact it just petered out and fell flat left me feeling annoyed! This to me has been the weakest book but I will still read more from this author as I do like her writing style and she writes witty dialogue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic and silly, 16 Aug 2014
E. Graff (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Paperback)
This was the first novel I've read by this author.

As a resident of Edinburgh, I was drawn to the books setting. I hadn't realised the book was one in a series. The first thing that hit me was that all the characters were introduced in one confusing paragraph so I had no idea who was who. Secondly, the Americanisms used by the narrator were really jarring and the author slipped in and out of them with no consistency. Thirdly, how come everyone (bar Nate) lived in some of the most expensive streets in Edinburgh!

The author's writing style was extremely simplistic with no character development whatsoever. A style more suited to teen fiction than adult literature.

I won't be looking out the other books in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Before Jamica Lane, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
So well written, Samantha Young is just great at writing a story building on a romance and making you fall in love with the characters. Olivia has an outgoing personality but is painfully shy around the opposite sex. She is interested and develops a crush on a post-grad student so she asks her best friend Nate to help her go get what she wants.

Nate is reluctant at first to help but agrees, afterall who is better at teaching her what a man wants than him, someone who is a man whore, afraid of commitment.

Overall this is a sweet romance, one that has a few hiccups along the way but, like most of Samantha Young's books, will leave you wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Liv and Nate, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
"No one," I whispered, my lips trembling with emotion, "has ever made me feel like the person I've always wanted to be until you."

I must confess that I read Before Jamaica Lane all in one sitting and I didn't put this book down until 5:30 am in the morning. I simply couldn't! I stupidly thought I could take a sneak peek and from page one I was hooked. Samantha Young reels you in. I know I am guaranteed great writing, amazing characters and brilliant story telling with a book by this author and Before Jamaica Lane was no exception. I experienced tears, laughter, frustration and downright joy while reading this book. It's not just a story, it's an experience and one that I truly loved!

We met Olivia and Nate in Down London Road. Olivia moved over from the states with her dad who was a father figure to Jo and Nate was Cam's friend. Olivia is starting fresh in Scotland. She works in the university library and although it seems she has it all; good job, loving father, her own flat and a new extended family of sorts, there is a part of Liv's life that is incomplete. Her self esteem and self belief are non existent. Liv can't even looking at a guy without quivering with shyness let a lone talk to one and this is something she wants to fix. Liv is a real girl, and one of my favourite female characters yet. She is curvy and just wants to feel sexy and confident in her own skin.

Liv feels like a huge chunk of her personality is missing so she drunkenly suggests to Nate, whom she has formed a great friendship with, to teach her how to seduce and be more sexually confident and experienced. Of course these lessons cover the physical side as well. Nate is a player and doesn't hide it. One night stands are his speciality, even though he is playing with fire when accepting Liv's proposal, he is helpless to stop it and soon they go from being best friends to best friends with benefits thrown in. And can I just say, Liv is one lucky lady as Nate is a sexy man with a dirty mouth on him ;-)

This book is no exception to the others in the heat factor, it was downright HAWTT! Samantha Young writes great sexy times. Before Jamaica Lane was a passionate story but at the same time Liv and Nate's relationship was built on a great friendship and I loved that Nate gave Liv the confidence she needed. The scene where he undresses Liv in front of the mirror and points out how beautiful she is, has to be one of the hottest and sensual scenes I've read. I loved it!

I loved witnessing Olivia's journey over the course of the book, slowly but surely she became more comfortable in her own skin and she finally got to be the person she always wanted to be.

I loved the fact Before Jamaica Lane was not only about Liv's own personal journey of confidence and inner peace but Samantha Young entwined poor Nate's broken soul into it as well. Nate deflected love and avoided connections out of a obligation to his childhood love. Nate couldn't differentiate between what he thought he should feel and what he wanted to feel. Nate was so young when tragedy stuck and it was only when Liv manage to penetrate his armour that he realised he could run no more. Honestly, this part of the storyline made me love Nate and Liv more! I was rooting for them to be together every step of the way!

As always it was wonderful to read about the couples we have grown to love. Joss, Braden, Ellie, Adam, Jo and Cam were all back. They have solidified into a great group of friends. And we got to witness parts of their stories along side Nate and Livs and the othre books entwine together. Of course Joss and Braden will forever be my number one couple but I loved this story so much, Nate and Liv have secured the second spot for sure!

Another character that played a huge role in the story was Liv's mum, although no longer with her, Liv's mum was still very much present in her life. After losing her mum at a young age, Liv felt a flurry of emotions; overwhelming grief, despair and loss mixed with resentment and guilt. Even though Liv would never change being there for her mum every step of the way, she feared she might have resented her for robbing Liv of an 'average adolescence' but through her journey Liv was able to make peace with her mum and in turn she realised it was all meant to happen the way it did. Sporadic thoughts from Liv's mum would pop into the story and it really was heart warming, I loved the affectionate nick name for Liv and thought in some way her mum would be following Liv's journey if she could. "I'm so happy for you, Soda Pop."

Of course, something's gotta give and Liv could no longer read between the blurred lines. She was in a secret relationship with Nate, it went beyond 'practice now' and hearts were involved. "I was angry because what he'd just said was utterly beautiful. Looking at him caused a dart of pleasure to hit me in the chest. My blood heated, my fingers curling into little fists. He was making me fall for him. That wasn't supposed to be part of the deal." There was a point in the story when I didn't understand Liv's actions, seemingly Nate came to his senses and confessed what she was longing to hear, yet Liv was wanting more. I really wanted to shake her and say 'Girl, are you crazy!' but the more Liv shared her feelings I knew she was right. Words are easy to say, with Nate still very much stuck in his past, Liv needed actions, not words. And can I just say the results were swoon worthy and down right womb clenching!

Before Jamaica Lane is another fantastic story from Samantha Young. I adore her writing and story telling. I now feel like the Edinburgh gang are old acquaintances and I want to jump into their world at any chance I get. The stage is set for Hannah and Marco's story next and it will be interesting to see Hannah take centre stage. After reading the sweet, sweet epilogue I do wonder if a story for Cole will ever arise. All I know is, I just need more! I want to read about these characters until both them and I are grey haired!

If you are a fan of the series, you will absolutely fall in love with Liv and Nate and if you are new to it all then I say don't even hesitate and jump in today! ~Ava

*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
This is a brilliant follow up to On Dublin Street and Down London Road. It follows the same group of friends but focuses on Olivia. A new character introduced with Jo's story.

Olivia is so shy she feels unable to speak to anyone of the opposite sex who she finds attractive. Team that with an interesting back story and a hot best friend Nate you find yourself with a funny sexy story that always leaves you wanting more.

Samantha Young is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Highly recommend any book she write but this series is amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost four stars, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
Samantha Young writes better when she's not obviously trying to cater for the American audience. Although this book does revolve around an American import, Liv, it's not forced and Young's affection for Edinburgh is obvious. Characters from other books appear here, so it feels familiar and Young doesn't spend too long filling in missing details. The only reason I've deducted a star is the whole premise of asking your best friend to teach you how to have sex is so ludicrous that it makes the rest of the story seem weak, which is a shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars She does it again!, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
The author already had us hooked on Liv & Mate from 'London Road' so I couldn't wait to get more. Again, I laughed, cried & shouted out loud at both of them! This works as a stand alone as much as the other two. I love the setting, being my home. I love the east Lothian connection, being my first home. I'd also love more - Ellie & Adam, Mick & Dee, Hannah, or Cole - or all of them! I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Before Jamaica Lane (Kindle Edition)
This is my second fave book behind Joss and Bradens story. I really enjoyed reading about Nate and Liv. Excellent.

Before Jamaica Lane