5.0 out of 5 stars First time on an FPS., 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
Facts.----I am nearly 78 years old----always played RPG's----never tried an FPS.
Wow !!!!---this game is something else---once I'd mastered the controls,and the view of only seeing weapons,I steamed in,and have now played it through five times,scoring well on the "Stealth" option. You young regular Gamers of this format probably mastered it quickly,but I had to accept it as a challenge,--and would give it full marks ,both for story line and action.

5.0 out of 5 stars revenge solves everything, 11 Oct 2013
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
You are Corvo Attano, and you were the Lord Protector and bodyguard to the beloved Empress of Dunwall ... until she was murdered.

We open with Corvo returning from a secret mission to Dunwall with what the Empress hopes will be messages of help and support. What he delivers is less than stellar news, however, before he can talk it over with her they come under attack by magically appearing and disappearing assassins. Corvo is found with the body of the Empress, and with her precious daughter is missing, snatched by the same people who killed her mother Corvo is thrown in prison ... and I waited.

I waited for the "My dear Corvo ..." as seen in the trailer, and I waited. The whole prison cell scene with Corvo and the Outsider never happens in the game, which is such a shame.

Since the death of the Empress the country has become rotten, not just with the plague but with the corruption of the rich and powerful. Corvo makes a break from prison with the help of "a friend" who manages to smuggle him the key to his cell.

Once out Corvo becomes the instrument of those who helped him escape, but are they for good or for evil?

The game's progression depends on the "moral" decisions which you make while playing; and the outcome depends on your choices as well. There are 3 main outcomes that I know about "good", "bad" and "awful" and each one is contingent on the choice of game play you make.

The hardest is the "good" ending which requires low chaos (trying not to kill anyone, trying not to raise alarms, and so on). The problem is that trying to achieve this can be annoying when you think you've sneaked past the guards only to be spotted by one of the infected who then attracts the attention of the guards. Achieving the low havoc "good" ending is a feat in its own right, but for me it was not as good as just blasting my way through the enemies regardless of the "bad"/"awful" ending to the story.

There are so many ways to play, and that's really what makes this game amazing.

When I start a game I always start as a nervous ninny, and like to take things slow to get use to the controls and the game has options which allows for my strategy, but my friends like to literally jump in and start swinging right from the start - which could be why the ending of my first run was the "good" one.

The darkness of the plague riddled destroyed Dunwall city is startling, almost monochrome and in its own way quite fascinating.

Any problem I have had with Dishonored feeling familiar is possibly down to playing the games I have already played.

I have played all the Assassins Creed games (to date): climbing, killing, air assassination, stealth, and you choose whether you want to take them on head on or try to sneak past the guards to the target, and so on.

Hitman runs on the sneaking around type stealth being good, being seen is bad.

The early Resident Evil games all had the good/bad ending options which were dependent on what you did while you played. The need to solve problems is also a factor in those early RE games.

In this sense Dishonored game play is incredibly familiar for me.

The only real difference was the need for "talking" to other characters, to get keys and solve puzzles (reminiscent of the old RE), oh, and all the supernatural stuff too.

I found these supernatural additions great fun.

I did enjoy the blink facility; it was an interesting change from the AC run and jump. I used the blink, dark vision, time bend, possession and the rats. I've not tried the windblast ability.

If there is one thing that I missed it was story explanation. Who was the "outsider", what's he up to, who's side is he really on, and why? What caused the plague? Where did all the rat's come from? And many more.

I saw the turn coming right from the start - it was definitely telegraphed.

I hope that they make a sequel, but I hope that they clear up what is going on, the motives behind the main characters and why things have happened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love a option, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
This game really surprised me . I wasn't sure if i would like it , but my fears were completely squashed after about an hour . Keeping it short Graphics 9/10 ,Length 8/10,Game mechanics 9/10.......Does what it says on the box giving you countless options to complete your missions . Game of the year edition is totally worth it for once....JUST GET IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Hide in the shadows., 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
If you like stealth games GET THIS, simple as that, it's an excellent game. It's not a GTA style open world but the missions are "open" there's lots of different ways to go about each mission ranging from pure stealth to a mix of fighting/magic or if you want all guns blazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I got this product last Christ mas and ever since then I must have completed it more than 10 times doing it differently each time. its such an interesting and different game my only regret is I sold the game a while ago I have thought about buying it again! its got great replay value and is well worth buying! I hope they make a Dishonoured 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Game, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game and went through it with all guns blazing. I'll definitely play it again in a year or so and try the stealth mode. It was good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
It was brilliant, everything I love in a game. Kept me enthraled for hours on end. Its a complete classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must play!, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
It is extremely rare for DLC to be just as brilliant as the original game, but the entirety of Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition delivers equally immersive story and gameplay. Many stealth games can feel a little disappointing and cheap but this is the polar opposite - the stealth feels relatively realistic (in the highest difficulty, anyway) and the vast array of supernatural powers at your fingertips make Dishonored a pleasure to play.

I strongly recommend that you give it a go :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game!, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I am still playing this game, but it is an amazing experience: good story, nice powers and weapons, maybe a bit tricky to master at the beginning. Would suggest to anybody who liked Bioshock. It is a no-brainer. Go and buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a fun game., 5 Dec 2013
illage2 (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm not the biggest fan of stealth games, but Dishonored stands among the games I really enjoyed. It somehow captures your attention in the best way possible.

Combat and stealth mechanics are very well done in this game, no complicated movement to worry about, and the guards actually have a more realistic line of sight that are lacking in other games. One of the best parts about this game is that you can actually complete it without killing anyone even though your an assassin in this game, in fact the game encourages this style of behhaviour, but for those who don't care who they kill well the game will suit you just fine too.

There are some issues though.

first is the accents of characters .... given that this is victorian/Steampunk I expected the characters to have a British accent, it really subtracts from immersivness of the game world.

Second there are really poor textures, especially on the console version, and there's also some texture popin here and there.

Its a brilliantly done title and it deserves a place in your collection.

Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) by Bethesda (PlayStation 3)
24.99