5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant album (in my opinion)
This album has had very mixed reviews, so I was bracing myself for a big disappointment. However, and this is only my opinion, I absolutely love it. I can't find any fault. Musical taste is very personal, so I can't advise anyone to go out and buy it, but I'm so glad I did.
Published 11 months ago by christensen54

3.0 out of 5 stars okay
I don't think this is as good as his first or should i say i like more of the songs on his first album , like broken , lightening bolt , two fingers , but i do like his type of music , but if you're a big big fan of his you might like everything he sings anyway no problem with that
Published 9 months ago by peter c

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant album (in my opinion), 1 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good follow-up, 18 Nov 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
There was some pre-release criticism of this album as unoriginal and not as good as Jake Bugg's debut album. I have to say that I don't agree. I had the good fortune to receive an advance copy of this, and after listening to it a lot I think it is that rare thing: a follow-up album which is as good (or at least nearly as good) as its deservedly phenomenally successful predecessor. It doesn't have that devil-may-care freshness of the first album - but then it wouldn't because that only happens once. The production is a bit fuller and more sophisticated now, and he's widening his style a little but it's still music of real quality.

Jake Bugg's great strength is in singable songs with worthwhile lyrics, which he performs with skill and real feeling, and he does just that on this album. His fine, distinctive voice is still on great form and driving beats are still often in evidence, although there's a good variety here. There's also a variety of production styles which make the opening track, There's A Beast And We All Feed It sound like early Bob Dylan, Me And You could be from a Donovan Album from about 1968, the guitar in Messed Up Kids has strong echoes of Big Country, the instrumental work on Kitchen Table could be from John Martyn or Pentangle (and the vocal reminds me a little of Jason Isbell in places)... and so on. Personally I love all this. It's very well done and nothing sounds like a poor imitation of an original.

I genuinely think this is a very good album which shows that Jake Bugg isn't just a flash in the pan, and will cement his place in the top rank of young British musicians. Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I too old?, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
I pre-ordered this CD because I love his first one so much. This latest offering is just as good! This young lad will go on to great things. I am going to stop now as it feels all wrong waxing lyrical about a boy of 19 when you are a 66 year old granny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
Love this Cd from rthe first to the last song typically wonderful Mr Bugg highly recommended. Order yours today it's brilliant!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
Great bunch of songs that have a 70's American feel, like Neil Young, but all still very Jake. It's an album you can listen to over and over and I think his musicianship has matured since the first album.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of old-fashioned uniqueness, 13 Feb 2014
Mr. T. McKiernan (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
Slightly more "country" and self-indulgent than his last album. Definitely more polished production. There's something pure about his voice which completely wins me over

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine Talent, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
What a clever, gifted guy. So refreshing in this day & age of hype and computer generated pap. Keep on doing it lad, we need good music like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, love it, love it, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
what can I say, I bought this cd and absolutely love it. I am not a young person but I love his voice and the style of his songs

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is as good as the first and appeals to all ages which ..., 5 Oct 2014
This review is from: Shangri La (Audio CD)
This album is as good as the first and appeals to all ages which includes myself (the wrong side of 40) and both my daugters 14 and 17, its played in the car constantly, our favourite tracks would be slumville sunrise, What doesn't kill you and Simple pleasures. Hopefully, as Jake Bugg is still such a young talent, there will be plenty more music to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
best yet

Shangri La
Shangri La by Jake Bugg (Audio CD - 2013)