4.0 out of 5 stars He still isn't "Old, Rich and Useless..."
Published 7 months ago by Robert Guerrero

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars with 'An Unblinkered Eye'
Published 7 months ago by Bridgey

4.0 out of 5 stars He still isn't "Old, Rich and Useless...", 16 Nov 2013
Robert Guerrero (Lakewood, CA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
Although some early reviews by fans are KILLING this album, the criticism is unjustified. Roger himself said this album was "eclectic." He wasn't lying. After a full listen or three, the normal themes involving love & relationships (Be With You, Sunny Day, Be My Gal), politics (Everything Is Broken), personal tragedy (Say It's Not True)- with Jeff Beck) have emerged. As for sound, this album has it all...straight ahead rock (One Night Stand, I Am The Drummer), Beatle-esque sounds (Smile), some pretty good saxophone (Fight Club), even some Jazzy Bossa Nova sounds (I Don't Care)...even PIANO...and THAT is what I love about Roger's solo albums. Vocally strong as usual while a gentle baladeer on others, this album has a mix of EVERYTHING...and something COMPLETELY different from anything he did with Queen. Something for every mood. At 62 years old, you can't expect Roger to belt out 13 straight rockers anymore. Enjoy it for what it is. Be happy he is still making music for us fans. The only clunker for me was Quality Street. Also, I didn't like this album version of The Unblinking Eye. The original was better yet still needs to be trimmed and re-mixed in my opinion. With that said, this is still a 4 Star Album for me out of a possible 5. Good job Roger.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars with 'An Unblinkered Eye', 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
Firstly I have been a Queen and RT fan for 25 years and am very disappointed with this album. I can honestly say that there are only a handful of songs that I will transfer onto my Ipod, the rest will probably just be dusted off in a few years time. The ones worth listening to being: Say it's not true, The unblinking eye, Small & Sunny day. Strangely enough only one of these (Sunny Day) being an original recording specifically for Fun on Earth, the others having been written a while back.

I am more than happy that he is making music but that doesn't mean it should be given a good rating because of fans being grateful. In my opinion the rest of the songs are just 'fillers', I am the drummer and Quality street are just awful songs and I wonder that if this album had been released by a new artist then would it have received any good reviews at all? I think fans need to look at this album with an 'unblinkered eye'. Would he have released this album if 'The Lot' wasn't also being showcased at the same time? I know Roger said the album is eclectic, but that doesn't give an excuse for what is pretty poor song writing - Eclectic doesn't always mean good. Where is the man who wrote such classics as Heaven for Everyone/These are the days of our Lives/A kind of Magic/Radio Gaga etc. Has he has been replaced by an artist that is willing to put out wonderful lyrics such as:

"I am the drummer in a rock and roll band
I am the drummer in a rock and roll band

I am the heart and soul - Yeah - I'm the man hey"

I saw Roger last week at the cross reunion and he was brilliant, full of energy and fun. A pity this couldn't have been emulated on the album. Of course we want more music from the remainder of the group, but I feel this only serves to taint a brilliant legacy. Some people obviously love the album, but in my eyes it falls far short of any expectations I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, Roger!, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
Ok, it is not as upbeat as the last album (Electric Fire) but this album sure makes a satisfying impression anyway. I like the varied style, the fresh sound and the sheer mood it brings. My favorite songs on the album must be: Sunny Day, One Night Stand (love the louder/heavier riff), I'm a drummer, Small and Be With You (great piano at the end). You should really give it a chance, it might surprise you!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Roger's Best Solo Album so far, 11 Nov 2013
Mr. J. C. Hirst (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
This album is absolutly brilliant. It's got a feel just like his first solo album Fun in Space. The sound quality is spot on, the songs are awesome, without doubt it ranks with some of the best work he has ever done, not that what he has done in the past is not great. I always used to think that the songs Roger sang on in Queen albums were among the best.
The album opens with a riff busting One Night Stand, and it makes you feel that its a continuation from Fun in Space, followed by track after track of riff and guitar enfused brilliance.
Another stand out track his "I am a Drummer in a Rock n Roll band", takes you back to the days when Queen ruled the World.
If you have never listened to a Roger Taylor solo album i highly recommend you purchase this album, you will not be disapointed.
My wife aint no Queen or Roger Taylor fan and to say she doesn't like them is an understatement... well she's going to have to get used to this playing quite a lot for a few years until his next solo release.. Here's hoping!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
Sunny Day has been one of those tracks that its been great to hear on the Chris Evans show - a great song. The album doesn't disappoint either. A varied mix of tracks from a guy that's produced some belting solo albums over the last 20 or so years. One Night stand and Say it's not true are highlights on this album. The only downside, and its a MASSIVE one is the shortened version of unblinking eye. The original version of this song really captured a moment in time a few years back when the economy was rocky. The combination between verse/chrous and big riffs has been lost. This with Sunny day would be the standout song on the album but unblinking eye has lost its mojo with the way its been shortened on this album. A real shame

Anyway that aside, this is a really nice album. This doesnt need a long review, just put it on and enjoy it.

And for anyone that liked Sunny Day on Radio 2, worth checking out the rip roaring Blue Rock by Taylor's band 'The Cross' and Roger's 1984 album Strange Frontier....'freedom fighters come and go, bl**dy righteous and mentally slow' ...the lyric to the title track still has something to say 30 years in - and is just a belting song!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
nice

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Songs, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
I love this record. Been a fan of Roger since I am 12 years old, I have all of his records, I think this is the best of his solo career, with a little bit of rock and roll, and some new stuff very original like Smile or Up closing the record with a new sound. Powerful drummer and great songwriter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun music, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
great new album from Roger. Sunny day a favourite, as well as others. Another excellent album to add to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 18 April 2014
Mrs. C. D. Rasey "christine" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
Since I bought the CD it has hardly been off my cd player. The music is varied and brilliant lyrics. Well done Roger keep putting out your own work

5.0 out of 5 stars Good!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Fun On Earth (Audio CD)
It has alot of different styles. But really good
Some really catchy songs and it best not to judge it on its own merits not Queens.

Fun On Earth
Fun On Earth by Roger Taylor (Audio CD - 2013)