5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Poem
I have to admit that 'The Raven' is my all time favourite poem and I have numerous copies of it scattered around the place, in anthologies, by itself, in treebook and ebook formats. This poem made Poe famous and was his major breakthrough, and it is ironic that even if this was all he wrote he would still be remembered.

This edition, currently on promo has an...
Published 6 months ago by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars Gothic horror
I,d forgotten how difficult it can be to read Poe. The poem is thought provoking and as I want to eventually read more of the Classics I'm not sure this was a good one to start with but I will continue to read more of them.
Published 25 days ago by Carolyn Ganderton

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Poem, 15 Dec 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Raven (Illustrated) (Top Five Classics Book 14) (Kindle Edition)

This edition, currently on promo has an introduction, the poem accompanied by Gustave Dore's magnificent engravings, the poem as just text, and a biography about Edgar Allan Poe. I read this on my iPad and I found that you can double tap on the illustrations so as to enlarge them, and that there is an active table of contents as well. As I mentioned, I looked at this on my iPad and there was an active table of contents at both the front and rear of this book. As I haven't had a chance to look at this on my kindle yet I don't know if this will show up in the 'Go To' menu, but if it doesn't then click on the end or the cover and you will find it by turning the page.

Poe's masterpiece, this poem takes in love and loss, due to death, and is just such a joy to read. Even if you have never read this before you will surely know that most famous of refrains 'Nevermore'. Definitely whilst this is available for free this has to be a must have. Dore always did fantastic illustrations, and this book is no exception, so even if you already have a copy of this you may want to download this just for those engravings, which should show up perfectly okay on a standard kindle e-reader, as they are in black and white.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 22 Jun 2014
A true classic from an old master. The Raven is famously known for being stirring and considered, well worth a read for all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gothic horror, 15 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Frm Feathered Favourite, 5 April 2014
Mr. Ian Dewar "Author" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Who cannot be enthralled by this classic from the master of the macabre himself. Well worth listening to time and time again!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Thing!, 1 Mar 2014
Love it, love it, love it. It is a classic Would definitely recommend it. Will probably buy from this author again.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Raven - A Classic Classic, 23 Feb 2014
An eerie book. Very Edgar Allan Poe. One for the bookshelf, beautifully illustrated. I thought this was a good classic choice and do not regret buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, 21 Feb 2014
This is a nice introduction to Poe. I enjoyed the illustrations too Quick and easy to read. It was interesting to read more background on his life

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, 19 Feb 2014
GoldenBroom (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Although we are familiar with Poe's great short stories, this is the poem which made Edgar Allan Poe an international celebrity and household name. It was first published in 1845 in the New York Evening Mirror. This work combines a musical rhythm with a strong, repetitive rhyme scheme to create an unforgettable effect. Poe also makes liberal use of alliteration here, and the overall effect is a most memorable refrain.

This Kindle edition offers the reader both the illustrated and text-alone versions. Steel-plate engravings by the French painter/sculptor Gustave Dore are reproduced in the illustrated version, just as they appeared in the 1884 edition of The Raven published by Harper & Brothers.

To top it all off, an in-depth biography of Edgar Allan Poe is included at the end of the book.

Just fabulous!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book because its free on kndle, 29 Jan 2014
Enjoyed the actual bio of e a poe's life,cant say any more than it's free on kindle.Poe's work is imo undervalued. the bells for eg. is one of my all-time favourite poems, the raven itself tells a true tale of heartache.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 10 Jan 2014
Classic, in the true sense of the word, where Poe has been, others follow. Illustrations are a lovely bonus. What more could you possibly want, and for nothing!