5.0 out of 5 stars Great little digital camera
I bought this camera because I do a lot of action holidays, sailing, scuba diving, road trips, and needed a go anywhere camera with the option for interchangeable lenses.

Published 10 months ago by Mr. D. I. Le Quesne

3.0 out of 5 stars A good all rounder
Published 14 months ago by Barrie Potter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little digital camera, 19 May 2014

So far I have been very pleased with it, the picture quality is excellent, the autofocus always seems to get it right and it performs well even in low light conditions. I bought the silicone jacket for the body and lens, which fit very well and get a lot of comments (I chose the bright orange) and help protect the camera from me... :S

The camera claims to be waterproof to 15m I think, shock proof and freeze proof, I haven't tested all these yet, but plan to take it sailing with me next year.

Also bought the wireless adapter, which creates a wifi hotspot you can connect your tablet or phone to, most of the time though I just use an sd card adapter for transferring images. The wireless module also allows you to remote control the camera.

I have both the lenses, although use the zoom Le s most of the time. Thinking of adding a Nikkor 1 power zoom lens...

3.0 out of 5 stars A good all rounder, 20 Jan. 2014
I bought this camera to take on a trip to Borneo. On the whole I am very pleased with it, especially when used with the adaptor for Nikon F mount lenses. I used it in a number of extreme situations, including fast flowing rivers, and it lived up to its claim of being water proof. The only problem was that in some situations both the lens and the viewing screen became foggy with condensation, making the resulting shots/video almost unusable. I did make sure that the 'O' ring was kept greased, and putting camera and lens in a container of dry rice did mitigate the problem, but not cure it completely. It could be that under those conditions it is best not to swap the waterproof lens for a standard 'F' mount lens, but the ability to do that was one of the reasons for buying this camera. If anyone from Nikon reads this I would be grateful for advice. This is the only reason for the 3-star rating.

When not fogged, the camera produced great results, and is easy to use although it is too easy to press the video button instead of the photo button - this would have given it a 4-star rating. For its chip-size it was remarkably good in low light, although within obvious limits.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but it is not waterprof, 2 Feb. 2014
I am a professional and bought this camera for my holidays. I was working great for a day or two, but after I used it under water twice (2 ft deep) the LCD and lens became foggy. From then on I was unable to take clear images or record good quality video. I recommend to wait for Nikon to fix the problem before buying this camera. Otherwise it is really a great. I would definitely give it 5 stars if it wouldn't leak.

2.0 out of 5 stars Water marks in lens- can't get rid of, 23 Mar. 2015
I purchased this Nikon AW1 in October and used it twice in the water, not deeper than 1 meter. I followed the cleaning instructions carefully but still have water marks inside the lens which I can't get rid of. The camera still works but the pictures are blurred and hazy. Each time I used the ca,era I ensured all locks were sealed and no water could get inside. The rest of the body is fine with no water damage however the lens has water marks that won't go away. I've been in touch with Nikon who have just told me to go to my nearest dealer and get them to look at it- they have offered no support or willingness to help. I'm still under a years warranty but can't return to my Amazon seller as returns were only valid for a month after purchase. I'd not recommend buying the AW1.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes it is waterproof, but both lenses fog up......, 25 Mar. 2015
Spent a month by the Atlantic ocean shooting water sports with this camera and 2 lenses.
Yes it is waterproof, but both lenses fog up if you stay in the sun.
Also they fog up if you go from hot air to cold water quickly, that makes it pretty much useless and that was the main reason I returned it.
Vignetting on both lenses is HUGE.
Slow motion video quality is ridiculously bad, not even close to what they show you in the ad.
RAW format does not work with bridge and requires third party software for converting to readable files.........
Amazing high FPS bursts and very quick focus.
Was expecting a much better product from Nikon

4.0 out of 5 stars A very smart camera!, 2 April 2014
Mr. J. S. Hutchison (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
I need to reduce the weight and quantity of equipment carried, and still be able to shoot underwater. Does all I ask of it. I am not a fan of 'Auto everything', but have tried letting the camera decide the settings I have to admit it works very well in most situations. Default Auto focus sometimes gets confused (e.g. blurred Parrot in front of perfectly focused tree trunk and foliage) but a quick selection of 'centre spot' soon fixed that. Minor niggle the GPS position displayed on the LCD put me 2' East of the Prime Meridian when in fact I am 2' West (also Mexico is displayed as 90' East when it is 90'West) but the data stored with the image is correct so not a big problem, a future firmware update will fix that I am sure.