Colour Name: White|Change

on 2 August 2014
Having read most of the reviews here on this product, I have to say that some of the criticisms levelled at it are a little unrealistic. If anyone did the due diligence before buying it they would be aware that this product is primarily aimed at gamers. Perhaps it doesn't have the quality of £200+ headsets, but then is it reasonable to expect it at a quarter of the price? Further, it has many options and features for the integration of various media and communication devices you WON'T see at that price.

I'm not going to waffle about the features - you can see them else where. I find the quality very satisfactory, both in sound and construction. Comfort is always going to be a contentious issue with headsets, but I often wear them for up to 5 hours (serious gamer) without discomfort. I use them for both gaming and audio/video entertainment and have always been pleased with the quality.

Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone who wants a quality versatile headset that doesn't carry a designer price tag.
on 5 March 2014
Plantronics are specialists in Audio for telephony and their DSP headsets are usually crystal clear without distortion. these RIG headphones follow that excellent trait perfectly.

This headset is very good and I bought it for my daughter. You can tell quality based on the packaging they turn up in. No egg box packing for this headset. A very high, upmarket box as you should expect for headphones in the £100 bracket.

They have 40mm drivers and very comfortable material ear pads but the material headband could do with a little more padded for my daughter, after a long time wearing them. This might just be dependant on the size of one's head however. The build quality is overall excellent.

The Black/Orange version contains a subdued mixture of matte and gloss black in a very understated way, with small orange labels marking them out. They certainly get noticed as "Gosh, what make are those, let me listen", making them singly unique out there at the moment. However they don't attract the wrong kind of attention as the v. expensive white gloss plastic affairs from DRE etc. Currently they are not widely available (not in Currys for example and in only a few shops online at XMAS13), but this will change no doubt. Online Amazon is best however..!

The main advantage with these headphones is the ability to switch them between headset/microphone boom for the PC, and then swap the lead and boom for either a mobile phone in-line mic lead, or one without so you can use them indoors and outdoors every hour. All leads are provided in easy-untangle flat style and in very flexible plastic. Kinks are a thing of the past.

For indoors, there is a PC "desk-hub" with PC master volume control and the ability to plug in your music from you phone and switch between PC sounds and your own music on the fly (even at differing volumes.) Very cool.

One other point to note is that these can be used in the Xbox or a Play Station. Again the leads and/or instructions are provided.

Listening sound quality is great on any device and doesn't feel quiet as some others do when they cannot be powered correctly. Nice bass with a good balance of treble. They will get better with use however as all 40mm driver headphones will mellow over time.

Voice/microphone quality is again very clear and does not boom across the rest of the contributors, however the clarity of reproduction in tone and intonation is superb and as expected from Plantronics.

One thing to note is that you can hear yourself quietly in your headphones as you speak, with a very tiny delay, which can be disconcerting at first, however this enables you to easily remember when you are broadcasting or when you have the microphone on mute or not. Singers and stage performers will know what I am talking about. This also stops you from shouting when your volume is up too high, something some individuals forget about when talking online.

This headset does not need PC drivers and plugs in to a standard USB port (for powering the desk hub) and a 3.5inch audio socket together.

They work really well on the iOS and Android phone platform, including MP3 players equally. Nice and loud if needed to be.

Just the lack of headband padding (for my daughter) and the v.slight delay in hearing yourself speak (which she has now gotten used to) are my only slightly negative things to report.

Nice to stand out in the crowd, with something that nobody recognises, but they still look understated, stylish and smart with questions of "who makes those and let me hear!" comments.
on 11 January 2014
60 Second Review of the Plantronics RIG: [...]

-Written Review-

As someone who's used the Plantronics GameCom 780 Headset for well over a year to make videos, I was more than happy when I was offered the brand new Plantronics RIG Headset to review.

The headset itself is really snug, turning out to be one of the most comfortable headsets I've ever owned. It works great for endurance gaming, although I did experience a small amount of discomfort at the top of my head due to the rigid frame.

Unexpectedly the audio quality was greater than anything I've owned in the past. Both music and game sounds are crystal clear, beating even my Wireless Afterglows and taking their place as my headphones of choice for PC and mobile. Not only that, but it has 3 separate equalizer options to suit your preference.

Now comes the USP of this product. The RIG takes pride in the fact it can work with nearly every device: PS3, Xbox, mobiles and PC. Not only that, but you can plug it into any device and your mobile at the same time, mixing the audio as you please. There's volume control, microphone mute, voice to game sound modifiers and the toggle which switches to mobile audio, meaning you can accept phone calls without interrupting gaming.. ..much

I must admit I was a little disappointed in the microphone quality, the gamecom felt much clearer. As far as gaming headsets go, the RIG is amazing, but for content creators such as myself, you may want to invest in a headset with a better microphone.

An innovative and versatile gaming headset, the RIG gets a solid 8 out of 10.
on 19 February 2015
I got this headset refurbished for £30 (inc delivery), at that price it was an absolute steal - Look and feel like new, just didn't come in the original packaging. Sound quality is something I care about a lot, and I have quite a few pairs of headphones / headsets and I've done some sound engineering in my time so I would say I'm qualified to say that these are awesome.

Being able to mix in music from my phone using the rig is a really cool feature because it means no more Alt+Tabs midgame! Haven't yet used it for the calling feature via phone but I'm sure it works well.

Only reason I haven't given this five stars is because after a few hours it does start to dig a little bit into your head - the top has no real padding, just a sleeve, but to be honest if you take them off for a minute or two then they feel fine, the actual headphones themselves are incredibly comfortable around the ear, a lot better than my older set (Sennheiser pc 330). Besides that they are fantastic and I would definitely recommend them!
I’ve been looking for a headset for some time now, mainly in preparation for the launch of Destiny to allow me and my fellow Wolfpack to communicate without the need for using the like of Facebook chat on our phones or Skype on our computers. Therefore, I decided to do a bit of research to see what was available on the market and when the Plantronics RIG popped up it started to intrigue me for two reasons. Firstly, I use a Plantronics SupraPlus HW251 headset for work and I’ve always been impressed with its quality; the sound seems much more clear than if I just picked up the handset and the clarity of the mic allows for clients to hear me first time instead of me having to repeat myself occasionally. The second reason is that it came with a mixer that would allow me to listen to music in the game or even to answer phone calls, mid game without me having to pause anything and putting my controller down to pick my phone up (I’m lazy I know).

I awoke one morning and headed downstairs to the glorious sight of a parcel waiting for me on the window ledge, just sitting there minding its own business unaware of the glorious times we’d have together in the near future. Opening the little plastic bag it was wrapped up in I pulled out this quality looking black and orange box that housed my brand new headset and mixer; before long I was tearing the box apart and it didn’t look so pretty anymore. One of the first things I noticed were the amount of wires in the box; now I know there would be more than one with a mixer involved but there did seem to be quite a lot. That’s when I realised that it came with two detachable mics, one boom mic for gaming and the other an inline mic for when you are on the go allowing you to listen to music on your phone and take incoming calls. This was a nice surprise to be honest because it shows just how multifunctional the RIG is from before even getting to the mixer.

After the initial confusion of ‘why so many wires’ I took out the headset and had a little look at it from every possible angle to take in its beauty; it really looked like a great piece of craftsmanship. The headband is covered in a nice looking padded material, although its looks are slightly deceiving and they could have done with a little more padding on the underside as it did feel a little hard at times, but that’s not to say it wasn’t comfortable because it was a good few hours before it caused any irritation. The ear pieces also come with a piece of the same fabric found on top of the headband, this really brings the design together and makes it feel as one whole piece of kit instead of lots of bits and bobs stuck together. As well as the small patch of material, though the RIG’s earpieces have a mixture of matt and glossy black casing that make the headset look very stylish so you won’t look like a plonker when walking down the street listening to tunes on your phone.

The real part of the design that pleases me though, is the ear pads; they come covered in a mesh fabric which not only goes well with the rest of the design but also adds to the comfort of the RIG. Usually you’ll find leather material around the ear pads with either a spongey filling or more lately memory foam to better suit the user by moulding to the shape of your head. However, I always find with the leather or the fake leather substitute that some manufacturers use, they begin to feel hot, start making your ears sweat and irritate you. Now this is probably also partly down to the gamer who uses them, I mean everyone is different, some people will fluctuate more heat wise causing them to sweat more, but it’s funny how this never happened once with me thanks to the mesh ear pads. They allow air to get in and help your skin to breath instead of trapping your ears in what can feel like an oven. In addition the ear pieces also rotate 90 degrees, which I thought was brilliant because it was like hanging a pair of portable speakers around my neck, allowing me to educate those around me about what good music really is.

Now one of the main selling points of this headset is going to be its mixer, I mean it’s the clear item that separates it from the competition as a lot don’t have anything like it. The design goes very much hand in hand with the headset with a mixture of glossy and matt black coating to bring that quality looking finish. There are a few different buttons here as well, which most of which are easily identifiable except for the volume and the mixers, however a little look at the booklet that comes with it and I soon worked that out. The outer casing acts as a control for volume twisting it left and right to turn the sound down and up. In the centre there is a switch to allow you to select your primary source of sound, whether it be to listen to the game or switch to your phone to take a call; both selections are indicated by either a blue or red light which really makes the mixer stand out. On the outside of the switch are two sliders which allow you to mix the two sounds together, turning up music on your mobile while in-game or by allowing you to speak on the phone whilst raising game sound so you can keep your ears open for the tip tap of enemy footsteps.

Aside from the buttons already mentioned there are three more at the bottom of the mixer, one for muting the mic in the middle, one to the left, which answers calls and the third to the right which lets you select one of the three programmed EQ modes for the RIG. That’s right, there are three modes; Pure, Intense and Explosive (also known as Seismic) and each selection is indicated by a set number of bleeps to allow you to know which mode you have entered. The first of the three selections is the Pure mode; this as the name states tries to make the audio as pure as possible and therefore has minor audio corrections so you hear the game as God (or the developers) intended. Next is Intense mode, this is where things start to step up as it enhances the mid-range audio that allows you to more clearly define sounds such as footsteps and gun shots, helping you use your senses to hone in on the enemy's position during multiplayer FPS games. The final mode, as the name suggests, is Explosive, called so due to the Seismic Bass that is activated enhancing those booming sounds such as explosions that just help make you feel you’re in the middle of a real Warzone.

Now the mixer sounds great in theory, but I did have a little trouble with it at times. The first issue I had was occasionally when listening to music and game audio at the same time, the music came across quite tinny and other times it sounded like someone was sticking a pillow over the singer’s mouth to muffle the sound. I tried fiddling with the EQ modes, but to no avail did the quality change so I began trying to use the mixer to change the level of audio from each source. It took a while, but I got there in the end and this is the downside to the mixer, it does take some time to master, but once you have it down to a tee it is great. I mean it isn’t always necessary to use the mixer; I only listen to music really when playing sports games where the commentary is dreadful like FIFA after they got rid of Andy Gray, so it wasn’t really needed when I was playing Crysis 3 on the PS3 or Diablo 3 with my buddy on the PS4. However, it is nice to know it is always there and it requires no effort to set up you just literally plug everything in according to the set-up instructions and you’re good to go.

As for the sound quality of the RIG, it is amazing; I’m used to their headsets in a business environment and it is nice to know that the same high quality is passed on to their gaming headsets. The sound when plugged directly into your chosen device comes off crystal clear thanks to the 40mm drivers that deliver the best quality possible and it only improves thanks to the three EQ modes available when plugged into the mixer. What’s more is that the sound in my opinion doesn’t get distorted or become muddy the higher the volume goes unlike some headsets I’ve had, it remains unblemished meaning you can listen to your music or in-game audio as loud as you like, and the RIG can get pretty loud. Plus thanks to the design they are great for blocking out most background noise like moaning parents or siblings, meaning you can clearly identify every little movement in your environment, making these perfect for multiplayer gaming where you need every edge you can get to take the advantage over your foes.

As for the two mic’s they were again being very impressive, and I expect nothing less having experienced how well Plantronics headsets work in a busy office environment. They easily connect and disconnect through a connection on the left ear cup which is neatly hidden away and both come with cables long enough to suit even the most awkward of gamers. The inline mic is obviously the one you would use on the go and helps turn the RIG into a normal set of headphones pretty much whilst giving you the flexibility of still being able to answer calls on your phone. The boom mic is designed for being used in-game and the quality is probably that little bit better due to the fact it is positioned closer to your mouth and is flexible to help you get it into the best position as opposed to just dangling down like the inline one. However, both don’t pick up almost any background noise unless maybe you’re front row at a concert, then you’d kind of struggle to block that out. But the clarity is brilliant, not once did I have to repeat myself due to me sounding muffled or the mic not picking up what I said, everyone I called could hear me perfectly and my buddies on the PS4 reported back that it sounded like I was inside their heads.

So what do I think overall? Well, this is a brilliant headset that delivers high quality at an affordable price, and the mixer only helps add to the value of it. The fact it is so versatile and can be used both on the move with your smartphone or tablet then in the home on your PC, PS3, PS4 or XBOX 360 is great. I also really like how twisting the ear cups is almost like having your own portable speakers around your neck, especially with the volume range of the RIG headset; I’m not sure if this was the intention of the design but it works for me. As for the sound quality and the clarity of the mic it is nothing below what I expected, having used Plantronics at work for some time I was highly optimistic about how good the headset would be and the RIG duly delivered. Yes, it could use a bit more padding on the underside of the headband and the mixer takes a little getting used to but once mastered, pausing games will be a thing of the past as you seamlessly jump between game audio and calls from your boss asking why you aren’t in the office today.
on 16 March 2015

on 28 November 2014
After reading the Q/A with the developers on reddit I immediately pre ordered this headset. These are without doubt the finest headset you could possibly get. The sound quality is fantastic, with 3 different modes for depending on the music you listen to or whether you are in game or on skype. I primarily use these with my pc, otherwise i use them as regular earphones when reading/writing/doing housework.
I use these 12+ hours a day, they are incredibly lightweight, the ear pieces are soft and comfortable, the mic is at a good distance from the face so you can eat with the headset on (lets face it, you do it).
Being able to plug your phone in while on the pc is fantastic. You can listen to music through your phone, or run a movie off your tablet while playing MMOs, also when you get a phone call you can answer it and not have to wedge the phone between your cheek and shoulder. It also means you can continue writing or working on the pc while on the phone to a client.
The cable length is a perfect distance, there is enough room to keep your headset on while you swivel around your room, ensuring you can keep on the call or listen to the music well.
Issues with the headset? None, I can honestly say the sound quality has not faded, the mic is still astounding from the original day of purchase. I have thrown this headset at the wall and the ground and they are remarkably durable (i can get heated when playing games)

This may seem completely bias, but I have used Razer Kraken 7.1 as well as the Razer Megalodon, Logitech H390 and Creative Fatal1ty headsets and these do not even come close to what Plantronics have to offer with these. Your look stops here, this is the headset for you!
on 3 July 2014
The Plantronics rig headset is a very good headset. I have only had the headset for one day so far, i have just finished with my razer charcharias headset. Both of these headsets are at a very similar price point. I am mainly a Pc gamer, mostly LoL so i do not find the lack of surround sound to be a particularly big issue. Some reviews said this headset lacked bass. However i would disagree. I went straight from my razer headphones to these and i couldn't tell the difference sound wise. As the razer headphones are known for good base then i believe this is a very strong point. The options to change microphones is fantastic with all the different options. I ran a mic test and found the microphone to be very good indeed. It didnt have any static in the background or anything.
Then there is the mixer that comes with it. And this is absolutly brilliant. The sound changing options were a lot more useful that i thought they would be. I am most of the time on skype with friends playing game and to be able to adjust the volume so precisely is fantastic. Then there is the feature to plugin a phone. Again a lot more useful than i thought it would be. It means i dont have to die in game just to answer a phone call. The mixer also plays back the sound of yourself speaking ever so slightly and there is no delay at all!
But nothing is ever perfect. And my issues with the headset are as follows. The boom mic can not be adjusted very far. It has to stay almost straight, which might not be an issue but i would have liked it to be able to bend alittle more.
Then there is the comfort. It is a very light headset. The ear pieces are really nice and comfortable, they also clamp on the ears perfectly. However after roughly 6-7 hours of having them on my head. I noticed i was adjusting the position every 2-3 hours as the top band is very uncomfortable after long periods of use BECAUSE THERE IS NO DAMN CUSHIONING! The lack of cushioning was so close to ruining a brilliantly cheap headset that was still really high quality! All they had to do was put a bit of foam onto it and it would have been AMAZING!
Dont get me wrong the headset is still great, but the top headband is rock solid. It is fine for a few hours but it does get annoying after a few hours which is such a shame. I think with this headset you pay more for the mixes than you do the head set
on 1 March 2015
I feel compelled to join the chorus of approvers on this product. I bought a refurbished unit to try out and trial see if they were worth investing in because of the good reviews they were getting on certain public forums. I can concur with people who have already praised the quality and sound of these headsets. The purchase was originally for my sons to use as a gaming tool along with their Xbox One, but when they were delivered despite not being in their original packaging, there was no mistaking the quality feel and look (perhaps my boys were suddenly not so deserving). Design wise they're not going to win any prizes but the sound OMG, the sound completely blew me away - let me just interject here that these aren't headphones for audiophiles because there are much better products out there - but THESE are more than just a gaming headset too. Plug them into your MP3 player, crank up the equalizer and playback your tracks through a myriad of different presets and you will be impressed by just how composed and versatile these headsets handles music. Jack these into your sound card on your PC and movies too, will come alive. Ok, I might be stretching the point here, but what I'm trying to say is, as a all rounder these Plantronics kicks butt and you will not be disappointed if you were to purchase one - honest. I hardly ever find the motivation to write a review even though a product is worth it so believe me when I say that this would be money well spent.
on 30 March 2015
My headset serves triple duty. I use it to listen to music while working, for which it has AWESOME sound. Plenty of bass, and clear sound. I also use it for talking to coworkers with Lync. The fact that the headset actually shows up as two audio devices in Windows is great for that so you can assign one as the "Default Communication Device" and one as the default for everything else. This allows you to play music at a low level but have voice chat at normal levels. Finally, I also managed to find the right adapters to hook it up to my Cisco phone