Published 17 months ago by Big Jim

2.0 out of 5 stars If they had left out all the Ella for instance ...
If they had left out all the Ella for instance, Fred Astaire ???, perhaps the sound of America, but not the sound of jazz.
Published 3 months ago by Derek Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only have one jazz album in your collection, you could do worse than make it this one, 20 Nov. 2013
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Verve: The Sound Of America: The Singles Collection (Audio CD)
Laying my cards firmly on the table I am NOT a jazz aficionado. I am very much an amateur in the genre so will leave it to other more knowledgeable reviewers to fill you in with the technical details. What I can say, is that if like me, you aren't into jazz that much, this album will be a revelation, because just about everyone who is anyone is on here, from the very well known, to artists I had never heard of which is my loss I can assure you. The musicianship is often astonishing, the singing first rate and the atmosphere of smoky jazz clubs and theatres is evoked in just about every track. My one caveat would be that some tracks are cut short, I assume to make them fit onto singles but other than that I can't fault this album at all. The biggest compliment I can pay is that has encouraged me to seek out more of the same and I suggest that anyone reading this does likewise. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure delight, 15 Feb. 2014
A heavy weight book, quite literally, packed full of information and photographs. I think that even when you know something about jazz and the stars during the early to mid 20th century in America you will still learn new things. If your head aches with facts just spend time looking at the pictures. Pure delight!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have., 9 Jan. 2014
I bought this as a gift together with the Sound of America book and it was very well received.
A good and interesting buy. Both together were a perfect gift, not sure one without the other would have worked as well., but both very interesting.
See my review of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful parade of great music, 3 Jan. 2014
Mark Symons (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have this set to accompany the book "Verve: The Sound of America". It provides a great sweep of music through roughly the second half of the twentieth century and contains many absolute, atmospheric gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice selection, 24 May 2014
A nice selection of the Verve label the range of artists was excellent and some of the music I had not heard before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great presents, 10 Feb. 2014
Bought this for my husbands brother for is 80th birthday. Had bought it for my husbands 70th and he enjoyed it.

2.0 out of 5 stars If they had left out all the Ella for instance ..., 2 Feb. 2015

Verve: The Sound Of America: The Singles Collection
Verve: The Sound Of America: The Singles Collection by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2013)