on 7 February 2014
The Quintet in C is a towering masterpiece, deeply moving, wonderfully sublime, exquisite in conception.

This performance reflects Schubert's vulnerability and sensitivity in the most sensitive manner. The playing at times seems to hang by the merest thread of sound and yet, just on that account, its delicate and responsive empathy, touches the very core of this piece. Equally the playing lacks no vigour or attack when that response is called for, for example in the turbulent middle section of the slow movement.

A deeply satisfying and truly beautiful performance, full of creative sensitivity.
on 26 December 2013
This very much loved quintet beautifully played and recorded. In spite of being asked I have nothing more to say - very annoying requirement
on 30 July 2014
Delightful music. I first heard this in a charming record shop and asked the gentleman behind the counter, who seemed to be flirting with me, what it was. He showed me; I adored the conspicuous antlers of the hidden deer on the modern photographic cover. These, that second cello and the wonderful tunes, solidified my decision to own this fabulous CD. I have since listened to this music at home and felt most satisfied at my decision to exchange currency for it.

I can see why this piece is so highly regarded. There is something symphonic about its scope. Diverse musically and lengthy without becoming tiresome. This is surely notable for an hour-long piece written for a small ensemble? I particularly enjoyed the second movement. Achingly sorrowful in places, offset by moments of great darkness and aggression. Schubert always seems to have surprises up his sleeve for me. At first, disarmingly conventional sounding with a fair amount of repetition, his pieces seem to spiral upwards and develop in the most satisfying ways. After a lot of rather superb Mahler and Sibelius, I wasn't sure my aural palate would be particularly receptive to Schubert. Having listened to his symphonies, impromptus and now his quintet, I'm glad to have been proven incorrect.

The quality of the recording here is excellent and the playing is beautiful. I'm really quite delighted to have stumbled across it at a time where my interest in classical music is still in its infancy. It reinforces my belief that I'm on the right track. I cannot wait to hear what else is out there waiting to be discovered.