4.0 out of 5 stars Designed for Touring and Not Much Else
Published 3 months ago by S. Carr

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect Car quality Satnav
I upgraded from a Garmin 500 because I wanted satnav to allow me to explore more unfamiliar roads/routes on longer rides. I didn't want to spend as much as the 810 costs, so the Edge seemed to fit the bill.

Published 2 months ago by Michel Everaert

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect Car quality Satnav, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Garmin Edge Touring Plus Touchscreen GPS Bike Computer with Preloaded Specific Maps and Points of Interest (Electronics)

The objective was to pre-plan routes on Garmin Connect or Strava, upload them and have the Garmin Edge guide me errorlessly along this pre-planned route. Of course, being a satnav if I strayed from the route intentionally or unintentionally, being a satnav it would guide me back on course. Easy, right? No.

Pre-plan and upload routes works perfectly, and when I set off, the Edge dutifully tells me to turn left or right about 150m from every turn. So far so good. The problem is it FREQUENTLY gets lost, informing you with beeps and a grey screen that you are off course, even when you are (usually) not off course at all. On a recent ride on a known route that I had planned and uploaded and that I could not get lost on, every 2 or 3k the edge told me I was off course when I patently wasn't, each time requiring you to touch the edge to return back to your ride stats away from the grey alert screen. 30 Seconds after each erroneous report it corrected itself.

It gets better. When you actually are off-course, it takes ages for the Edge to recalculate an alternate route to get you on-course again. Don't expect re-routed with course correction suggestions in a few seconds like in your car satnav... On a recent ride I went off course intentionally at about 40k. The Edge beeped at me every minute for the next 60k telling me I was off course but not offering ANY route to get back on-course. It eventually told me I was on course when I rode up my drive at home after 100k. Totally and utterly useless.

Otherwise it works fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Designed for Touring and Not Much Else, 10 April 2014
S. Carr "Stuart" (Wilmslow) - See all my reviews
I have used this device for 4 weeks now and can see both points of view in the previous reviews. Firstly, the device is solidly made with a screen designed to be viewed in daylight, which is very effective. It is small enought to fit inside your pocket and seems very secure when fixed to your bike, which is easily done. The issue is the GPS navigation. Irrespective of any of the settings, the device will guide you to the nearest certified cycle route, even if this is 5 or 10 miles out of your way and will not choose the nearest road. Consequently, it is NOT similar to your car sat nav. I navigated from my home to Manchester where I work, and it took a further 30 to 40 mins more than the usual time. However, it was the quietest, most rural and interesting ride into Manchester that I have ever taken! And that's the key. The clue is in the title - touring. It is perfect for leisure rides at the weekned or during camping trips where time or the shortest distance in not the objective. You can explore rides on the internet and download them as GPX files which can then be loaded onto the device. You can join online communities and swap rides as it records and saves all rides you take. The data is accurate and simple - av speed, elevation, time taken, laps etc. It gives you the choice of 3 round trips at a specified location. So don't buy this if you want to ride from A to B but do if you are into your leisure rides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant Find a fault, 3 Jun 2014
Bought this 4 days ago and read all the reviews and was torn between the 810 and the touring plus.

Took a little getting used to but Ill tell you where I am

There are 4 screen you can flick between when cycling sat nav, direction , data and profile.

Data screen allows you too put 8 data fields ion including heart rate which I have because I had an old garmin chest strap which it picked up staright away - really easy to read if you are running a route on the sat nav it interupts at a cross road or turning and flicks back to the data fields.

I downloaded 2 routes from my forerunner 405 and a route from my mates 810 and the machine read them all no issues at all - you go onto Garmin connect and export pretty simple.

Apert from virtual racer - which is really avaerage pace and cadence for 179 I think its a bargain the sat nav is really easy to follow I have already downloaded my GPX for a coast to coast in october from a web site and it reads it no problem.

Great little unit really happy

Hopen this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Cycle Touring up to 100 miles, 15 Jun 2014
L. WOODFORD (Wales) - See all my reviews
I upgraded to the Garming Edge Touring to navigate a pre-determined cycle route and scroll a map instead of a line drawn by my Garmin Edge 200 after trying out the different settings I have it running silent and reliable, for best results:

(1) Mount device with PC, create Garmin Connect account, install Garmin Express on PC, put a new 8gb microSD card in device and download the latest Garmin Cycle Map (update) if anything goes wrong you still have the original map on the original microSD card.

(2) Draw your route map at [...] then 'Export' your 'Route' as a .GPX file save it to your PC, mount your Garmin Edge Touring with your PC, then copy/paste the .GPX file into the device folder called Garmin/NewFiles; when you unmount at turn the device on it will convert .GPX into a Garmin 'Course'

(3) Mount device on Bike, if you dont use a handle bar bag I recommend the K-Edge Computer Mount which positions the Edge Touring securely in front and in-line with your handlebars, rather nicer than using the supplied elastic bands and having to look down (take your eyes off the road) a bit further.

Settings:
back light = off
re-calculate = off
lock on road = off
sound = off
avoid trails / unpaved roads = yes
save date / rides = device

Pro's
Garmin Cycle Map works fine (has post codes incase you need them)
Mounts PC fine using Win7x64
Used in the car worked same as a regular sat-nav when I changed Garmin Cycle Map for Garmin City MapNT UK
Ride display bigger with options to customise including 'time of day'
Wireless (remember wires and magnets?) and it hasnt got what I dont want - cadence, power, smart phone connectivity
Gradient display altitude meter
Rubber usb and microSD card seals positioned at the bottom edge furthest away from wind/rain
Heart Rate Monitor (additional Garmin chest strap required)
More 'hand room' on handlebars - combines HRM device (old Polar) and bike computer into 1 device

Con's
Heavier than Garmin Edge 200
More likely to move a bit when using elastic band mounts
Map Course navigating 50 miles of road / cycleway / cycle trails in 4hrs 20min used up 46% of power
Not suitable for navigating (map reading) longer than 100 miles
Touch screen seems to smudge with sweat
Touch screen sometimes difficult to see under very bright sunlight
No auto scrolling

3.0 out of 5 stars great expectations....., 1 May 2014
These are not as good as you would wish. They are a recording mechanism- not to be trusted for planning a route! You will speak to it in curt tones!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great bit of kit, 20 April 2014
used my garmin a few times and its been great a few little gliches to start with but now ive sorted the settings out its been great i can now go further afield without worrying how to find my way home even the round routing has took me on routes i would never dream of going on before its not a device for speed kings but more for exploring

5.0 out of 5 stars The best gadget on a bike., 17 May 2014
This has transformed my directionless bike rides into organised round trips of determinate length with directions and route height profiles. Enjoying the lanes like never before.

1.0 out of 5 stars Edge Touring Obscure., 13 July 2014
I don't normally write reviews but I'm making an exception here out of sheer frustration. Firstly I can't download the garmin software, on my PC with windows XP it tells me the operating system is too old and I need a new computer, and on my notebook with Windows 7 it just sits there and does nothing.
It doesn't come with a manual but you can get that easily enough of the Internet but it isn't very good, it's not clear, for example I want to know why when I first turned the device on I had the option to switch to elevation and now I haven't, and can't find out why. You have to find everything out using trial and error, but there aren't enough options to find the answer to simple problems such as when you do manage to program a route, why you can't see the route on the map, which means you have to trust the device to take you there without knowing the route beforehand.
If you have it set on to tour cycling that cancels out all other options like shortest time and shortest distance.
I will stick with it because all I wanted it for was to know where I was on the map, and it has full European mapping.
As a sat nav though it I would not trust it unless I can view the route it wanted to take me on the map. Sometimes it will show you this and others it won't. For example if you enter navigation points on the map, it will but it also will take you on detours before each point. At least you can see this. If you just enter one point on the map or a destination, you cannot see a route.

I have since managed to download the garmin express on my notebook. I cannot get Garmin connect to run on the notebook, I can however run it perfectly okay on my iPad. I have created a couple of courses on garmin connect but cannot sync with my iPad, I cannot get the sync feature to work on garmin Connect on my notebook, but can sync with garmin express. This does not download the courses to the edge touring though so still no joy so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
easy to use ... super!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 27 Jun 2014
Tony S (NE England) - See all my reviews
Delivered quickly and works a treat. Easy to install, setup and use. When compared with other retailers this is excellent value for money.