5.0 out of 5 stars Best album for years
I've enjoyed most of Steeleye Span's post 1970s output (Including their Maddy-less period) but always felt it was a bit too 'light'.

I'm not a fan of Mr Pratchett, so I wasn't overly excited about a concept album based on his work. However, this is probably the best Steeleye Span album for years, possibly since the 1970s. The general sound is much more like the...
Published 14 months ago by The Soft Machine Operator

3.0 out of 5 stars Original edition not worth buying
Do Not buy this edition of the album, It is the orignial release but instead of buying this edition buy the deluxe edition which contains this same album disc and a second bonus disc for a similar price.

The 22nd album from Steeleye Span is Wintersmith. It is a concept album based on the book Wintersmith and other writings by Terry Pratchett.
This is a...
Published 1 month ago by Marcia

‹ Previous | 19 10 1114 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Wintersmith (In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett) (Audio CD)
Good but not as good as the original/old SS. Goes quite well with the TP book

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but nothing stood out, 7 Feb 2014
Mr. M. Hatherell "Mark Hatherell" (Vauxhall, London, England) - See all my reviews
A good album but to be honest no track stood out and I didn't add any of the tracks to my iPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is great to be reaquanted with a band from my youth!, 29 Jan 2014
When I was a wee lad (OK, not that wee), I rebelled a bit against the fashion of the time! While all my peers were listening to Ska and (heaven forbid) New Wave drivel, I was into Rock and Heavy Metal. Over the years of my adolescence, this musical taste drifted to include genres such as Folk Rock and the like and one of the bands I particularly likes was Steely Span!

Over the years I stopped buying music so much and my old records (remember them) and CDs got consigned to various cardboard boxes and many of those old favourites got forgotten along the way.

Until one day a couple of months ago when I read in my copy of Discworld Monthly about Terry Prachett collaborating with a band called Steely Span on a project based on one of his books, called Wintersmith. The article even had a link to a sample track off the new album.

Being ever inquisitive I clicked on the link and listened to the title track from the Album, Wintersmith, and instantly fell back in love with the music of Steely Span. I ordered myself a copy on CD (I'm old fashioned and like to physically own the music I buy so that when I pass away those left can have all the fun of working out what the hell to do with it) and I don't think it has been off the CD player in the car since!

Steely Span is not to my wife's taste (philistine) but on the plus side both my boys (7 & 9) love it too so in the battle of wills we all win :-) This album really is Steely Span back at their best!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much to hope for?, 28 Dec 2013
Mr. Richard Moore (WA Australia) - See all my reviews
I may upwardly revise my view of this music in time but right now I'm finding it very hard getting past the ferociously bright and harsh vocal mix and general lack of transparency.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well liked gift, 15 Dec 2013
Bought for my parents who like Steeleye Span and Terry Prachett. It has gone down very well and they like it

5.0 out of 5 stars Span and Terry, 10 Dec 2013
Mrs. L. M. Hobbs (Birmingham. UK) - See all my reviews
Great to hear Steeleye Spans adaption of Terry Pratchetts novel in music and song.. Not read the book yet but I want to now with Span's cd in the background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Dec 2013
This cd surpassed all expectations. If ever the book is made into a movie the music will be the perfect theme for it. I've always loved steeleye span's music and together with Terry Pratchett's input it makes an excellent music experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bewitching...., 7 Dec 2013
This is a Beautiful Album, just the perfect thing to play around Christmas time on a Winters Day.
It really is fab!!

5.0 out of 5 stars steeleye span the years, 3 Dec 2013
I. Raine (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
love this album, I used to listen to Steeleye Span years ago and have recently started listening to them again and they're as good as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 30 Nov 2013
A truly amazing work, as a collaboration between one of the finest British Folk rock bands and the best British author this is just fantastic

‹ Previous | 19 10 1114 | Next ›

Wintersmith (In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett)
Wintersmith (In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett) by Steeleye Span In Collaboration with Terry Pratchett (Audio CD - 2013)