on 16 August 2013
I've read many sports books in the last 20 years. Most full of complicated jargon, I'd read it put it down and quickly forget! This book is different. The author speaks very frankly about his highs and lows (which I found refreshing! I'm now aware I'm not the only person full of self-doubt and critical thoughts when I'm running)! The author describes his fight with negative thoughts and how he conquers them. So its not just me that self sabotages! How refreshing for an athlete to be so honest! The book tells of a journey from desperation to success.... Just an ordinary man with very real emotion!
I couldn't put the book down! I needed to find out at each stage how he got on at each race. His honesty is unique, his story is belly bursting hilarious and his low points nothing short of devastating! The book is by far the best inspirational book for fitness I have ever read.
I'm no where near completing such a challenge like ironman! So whilst this book may prepare people for Ironman, it's ideal for just general fitness motivation.
Since reading this book I have been inspired to achieve my best - whatever that level is I'm not sure yet! But now when I'm running and have negative thoughts I push them away! This author really shows that determination and commitment concurs all. Even Ironmen have self doubt - who would have known that?
I hate corny sayings like "this book has changed my life". A book isn't capable of that.... But inspiration and motivation inspired from a book can!
I only hope that you buy the book and laugh as much as I did throughout his journey! If u get anything like the motivation I've got from the book you will have spent the best £10 ever! Must buy!
on 19 August 2013
This book encapsulates the true Glasgow Grit. (although from Cumbernauld) Mark and his brothers approach this massive Iron Man Challenge with the Glasgow Swagger. Brotherly Love "get oan wi it ya .... Black humour, Friendly Banter which is so close to the bone, the Mike Myers approach to swearing and a can do attitude that is inspirational. In true Glasgow style he plays down the enormity of the challenge and subsequent achievement and describes his and his families journey with self deprecating humour, but behind this is a story of total grit, determination and dare I say it, working class work ethic.

This books illustrates the Glaswegians attitude to taking on a challenge and smashing it. Deserves to be promoted and held up as an insight into the Scottish try, try again psyche which is a key to making you a winner! Up there with Covey. If the essence of this book was taught as part of tackling our war on obesity, Scotland might have a chance of moving down the ranks as the second fattest nation in the world!
on 31 August 2013
Being the person who was the authors inspiration for getting into the sport in the first place I can honestly say this book is a solid account of the journey taken by Mark and his brothers. His direct no nonsense approach and no holds barred openness means you get a real insight into the highs, lows and inner thoughts of ordinary people who go on to extraordinary things!

It's thought provoking on so many levels, in its directness, but it will show you, that with the right attitude, some basic tools and the support of your friends and family, anything is possible!
on 27 June 2014
Very nice family story, brothers, wife, daughter, father and mother all sticking together supporting the brothers to attain this remarkable achievement. I find the book inspirational as I've been thinking of doing an ironman after doing my first triathlon recently. Only comment is I didn't find it as funny as the reviews have mentioned, maybe I don't get Scottish humour! would still recommend this book
on 19 August 2013
A very funny, motivating and inspirational read about 4 brothers and their training in a quest to become Ironmen. The author tells a story of their cycles through Europe and the Outer Hebrides which would make anyone, cyclist or not, go out and buy a bike !!!
on 16 August 2013
Brilliant book, funny, touching, thought inspiring but even more inspirational. Loved the way the author instills confidence than anyone is able to achieve anything if they put their minds to it!
4 brothers and their journey together..,.book tells about the training, the fall outs and the night of drinking hours before the main Ironman event. Be ready to laugh out loud and smile like I had when you associate with something the author has described!
Brutally honest but even more funnier. An easy fun read that's bound to get you out swimming/ running and cycling. Enjoy fab read!
on 7 January 2014
Great read Mark. As somebody who did my first iron distance race not long ago I can relate to a lot of what you say.
I want to enter another one now!!
on 21 September 2014
No offence but Very poor read and extremely badly written. I would not recommend this book .