Format: Audio DownloadChange
Price:£2.09

on 5 July 2014
A book that is small in page numbers, but larger by far in content, Cave & Julia is set in Autotelia and London. I’ve not come across the author’s work before and was intrigued enough by the story to do some research. Autotelia is the name given to an imaginary place in which other stories are set. The word itself struck me as real rather than imagined, so I looked further. I found a Portuguese dictionary that told me it means: the doctrine that a work of art, especially a work of literature, is an end in itself or provides its own justification. I found no other entries in English dictionaries.
Enough. The story, if that’s what it can be called, is about relationships and, possibly, dreams. But, oddly, that doesn’t seem to matter. It’s a work that recalled to mind D.H. Lawrence’s The Trespasser in tone. It’s a piece of narrative without the usual hooks on which to hang a story. We are introduced to the narrative character, Cave, a journalist, and to Julia, much married and partially destroyed by an unclear event in her childhood. Some attempt is made by Cave to investigate the event, but it is left a question, with insufficient detail to determine what really happened.
The language is fine and always appropriate. An air of mystery and uncertainty pervades the whole tale. Nothing is as it seems, or, perhaps it is. This is a piece of writing that leaves the reader full of questions; impressed but uncertain why that should be.
It’s one of the Amazon Kindle Singles, and is tagged as a fantasy short. At 15 pages it is short, and, existing, as it does, in a space difficult to identify or even in some senses understand, it is fantasy, but fantasy of a literary sort.
I found myself intrigued, curious, disturbed and entertained. But be aware, this is not a story for those looking for a beginning, middle and end, with a denouement or indeed any formal structure. This is more an evocation, an illustration, an account. I enjoyed it, as, I suspect, will those who like things that are not spelled out for them.
on 15 May 2013
Harrison is one of my favourite writers and this short work is a great introduction to his writing. He has no interest in spelling things out, instead his text evokes, resonates and haunts leaving a lot of lines to read between. The text is full of images and ideas that stick in your mind and I find that I'm frequently drawn back to re-read his work.

Cave and Julia contains a second visit to the country of Autotelia (the first was in Simon Ings wonderful Arc magazine - search for it on amazon after you've clicked 'buy' for this book) and despite the entirely different setting it evoked for me some of the same moods that his Kefahuchi Tract trilogy does. Without quite being able to put my finger on it I also found myself reminded of Durrells Alexandria quartet

highly recommended and if you like this dive right into the Kefahuchi tract trilogy
on 15 April 2013
I loved this story. M John Harrison's writing is like no-one else's. Darkly beautiful and thought provoking. The characters and the scenery stayed with me for a long time after reading this.
on 18 March 2014
It's quite a while since I have read one of his books.It's the brilliance of his humour that is so appealing,the result is I have bought another book,in the same series as Light,which was the first book I read.
on 14 May 2013
Indeterminacy is at play as two lost souls try to make sense of themselves in a continent overlying what used to be known as the Mediterranean. Engaging yet resistant and, as ever with Harrison, marvellous.
on 9 July 2014
It's hard to believe I read this book through, there really is no story line, no plot, the characters are dull and lifeless. I think the printers went bankrupt
on 16 June 2013
I grew up reading Harrison, and his short stories are some of my favourites. "Cave & Julia" is an excellent example of his short fiction: mysterious, incredibly erudite, with sentences which burn into your mind as you read them. Don't expect answers; do expect surprise, and ultimately to be intrigued.
on 21 July 2014
I was as confused at the end as I was curious in the beginning. It made me think and contemplate though!
on 12 July 2014
a wast of money and time reading it i would prefer you not to recommend a book again for me
on 21 July 2014
Disappointing story line. Felt the ending didn't really tie things together.