Published 7 months ago by susiec

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Days Are Coming
Published 5 days ago by Mr. Iain R. Wear

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good songs, really good musicians - stand out tracks ..., 31 July 2014
Purchased for my 17 year old who loves this group - haven't stopped playing this all summer! Really good songs, really good musicians - stand out tracks for me Days are Gone and The Wire, daughters like If I Could Change Your Mind and Falling. So refreshing to have talented young girls who can sing, play their instruments so well and don't feel the need to strip down to their knickers in order to sell records.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Days Are Coming, 22 Feb. 2015
Take three musical siblings, with a surname starting with H and what do you get? If you're as old as I am, memory may provide the answer "Hanson". Fortunately, however, there is little comparison other that these between Hanson and Haim. Whereas Hanson were teenagers when they burst onto the scene in the mid 90s with their rather annoying "MmmBop" single, Haim have built up their talents playing with and for other artists and only now, when all three sisters are in their 20s and more musically mature, as well as physically mature, than the brothers Hanson were, have they come to prominence as a group.

Outselling Justin Timberlake to get a Number 1 album in the UK suggests they may have something going for them. But it's not just the public who are behind Haim, as they were voted the BBC's Sound of 2013, beating another chart topping artist in Tom Odell and following on from the likes of Adele and Jessie J in winning the award. So the expectation is certainly there as their debut album "Days Are Gone" is released.

Given that the majority of my favourite tracks were quite early on, I'm left with the feeling that "Days Are Gone" is only half a decent album. What is here is certainly musically accomplished, but the vast range of influences suggests that the group haven't quite picked their own sound as yet and are experimenting a little with what sounds right for them. However, this is a fairly decent 11 tracks and 45 minutes of music that suggests that there is the talent within Haim, both musically and especially vocally, for them to be something quite impressive given time.

This is not a bad album to say you've listened to, especially if things do settle and they become huge in the future. This is an album that has more in the potential than it does on the album itself, but it's not a bad listen. When it's good, it's very radio friendly 1980s influenced synth pop and when it's bad, it's either a touch bland or a little bit weird and freaky. There is no middle ground as yet, but when Haim find their middle ground, they have the quality to go far.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Haim time!, 10 May 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Days Are Gone (Audio CD)
Not the best album I've ever heard, but give "Days Are Gone" a few listens, and then it just clicks. There are, of course, songs that stand out and are much better than the rest ("Falling", "If I Could Change Your Mind" and "Days Are Gone" are the shining stars of the album, and, having bought the limited edition with 8 extra tracks/remixes, I would say don't bother, unless you are a hard-core fan). The album is bright and breezy pop sound (with a hint of rock), polished and chillaxing.

The sister-act rock band Haim are from the sunny LA, and you can almost feel the sunshine seeping through the album. The songs are sparkling, danceable and infectious, and this is a classic Haim sound. Yes, it is their first studio album, but Haim have been cultivating their sound for over fifteen years, and [some think] they are much better live than recorded. There are debates around the fact that Este, Danielle and Alana Haim let the producers rub the edges off their talent, and I agree. If you saw them on Jools Holland (or any other life performance) you can tell some of the momentous live energy has been lost in production of "Days Are Gone". But it does not make the album any less enjoyable and easy-listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, I'm impressed!, 15 Aug. 2014
M. Russell (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Days Are Gone (MP3 Download)
I came across Haim after hearing one of the tracks in the background on "Made In Chelsea". It's a bit like Cyndi Lauper, Kate Bush, Little Boots and La Roux all bundled up into one. One minute it's very fresh and modern, the next it has a kind of 80s retro-feel. Most of the tracks are catchy, with my favourite being "Go Slow". Definitely worth downloading, you will just keep playing it. Yes, it's probably a little over-produced when compared to their initial raw tracks when they were first discovered; but who cares, it works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Californian influences on the tracks as you would ..., 16 Sept. 2014
Finally got around to getting the album,only a year after release! Love the Californian influences on the tracks as you would expect with a modern twist. The nod to The Eagles on the intro to The Wire,think was Heartache Tonight inspired, as is the rest of the album. Seen live on tv Glastonbury I think and excellent live,lot rawer of course but you would expect that,best of both worlds! Looking forward to more great music from the trio!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Startling sound that constantly surprises, 24 Nov. 2014
This was my one and only introduction to Haim and I was shocked by their consistently excellent output all the way through. They certainly have a nostagic vibe, calling to mind the best of nineties pop, indie and soft rock. Sublime rhythms, soulful vocals and a sound you just have to love.

This instantly became one of my favourite albums - the sort that has a winner on very track.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Saved Me, 18 Jan. 2014
Pendragon (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
I don't listen to a lot of contemporary music, preferring my extensive CD collection. But I always watch Jools Holland's Hootenanny, and what a good job I did this month! That was the first time I encountered Haim (ok you can accuse me of living under a rock). Fantastic live sound (love Este's "bass face" as her sisters call it [YouTube interview]). I then watched all Haim's YouTube clips, live and studio (if you like them, you have to catch their cover on YouTube of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well") before buying. Unlike some other reviewers, I like the echoes of Fleetwood Mac and the 70s. Bring it on I say.

Can't stop playing this CD. I recognise the comments that this CD is studio produced - but what do you expect? Studio sound is always different. One day there will be a Haim "live" album, be patient. Although personally, I can't wait.

In the meantime, the studio production brings out to the full the depth of the tracks. Not only the singles, but almost all the tracks are very strong. As with any album from a successful singles band you have to listen to the rest with a little more care.

My faith in contemporary music restored, thanks girls.

You did not say you will save me but you did save me.

Now, where is Haim's 2014 European tour website ... ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Never heard of this group prior to purchasing but glad I took a risk, 23 Feb. 2015
Never heard of this group prior to purchasing but glad I took a risk...I appreciate music taste is subjective but I can honestly say that in contrast to the usual 2-3 good songs on most albums I buy,there are at least 8 really catchy songs on here..I'm no official music critic but I would describe the sound as Fleetwood Mac esc . ..great album

5.0 out of 5 stars Haim cd, 29 Jun. 2014
Really good cd, also got it on auto rip on all my devices fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 1 Jun. 2014
Some great songs but not a consistently good album... If you like the singles then have a listen to the other tracks on a free player before deciding.

Days Are Gone