4.0 out of 5 stars Haim time!
Published 7 months ago by Lola

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Some great songs but not a consistently good album... If you like the singles then have a listen to the other tracks on a free player before deciding.
Published 6 months ago by FlatMat

4.0 out of 5 stars Haim time!, 10 May 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Days Are Gone (Audio CD)
Not the best album I've ever heard, but give "Days Are Gone" a few listens, and then it just clicks. There are, of course, songs that stand out and are much better than the rest ("Falling", "If I Could Change Your Mind" and "Days Are Gone" are the shining stars of the album, and, having bought the limited edition with 8 extra tracks/remixes, I would say don't bother, unless you are a hard-core fan). The album is bright and breezy pop sound (with a hint of rock), polished and chillaxing.

The sister-act rock band Haim are from the sunny LA, and you can almost feel the sunshine seeping through the album. The songs are sparkling, danceable and infectious, and this is a classic Haim sound. Yes, it is their first studio album, but Haim have been cultivating their sound for over fifteen years, and [some think] they are much better live than recorded. There are debates around the fact that Este, Danielle and Alana Haim let the producers rub the edges off their talent, and I agree. If you saw them on Jools Holland (or any other life performance) you can tell some of the momentous live energy has been lost in production of "Days Are Gone". But it does not make the album any less enjoyable and easy-listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, I'm impressed!, 15 Aug 2014
M. Russell (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Days Are Gone (MP3 Download)
I came across Haim after hearing one of the tracks in the background on "Made In Chelsea". It's a bit like Cyndi Lauper, Kate Bush, Little Boots and La Roux all bundled up into one. One minute it's very fresh and modern, the next it has a kind of 80s retro-feel. Most of the tracks are catchy, with my favourite being "Go Slow". Definitely worth downloading, you will just keep playing it. Yes, it's probably a little over-produced when compared to their initial raw tracks when they were first discovered; but who cares, it works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Californian influences on the tracks as you would ..., 16 Sep 2014
Finally got around to getting the album,only a year after release! Love the Californian influences on the tracks as you would expect with a modern twist. The nod to The Eagles on the intro to The Wire,think was Heartache Tonight inspired, as is the rest of the album. Seen live on tv Glastonbury I think and excellent live,lot rawer of course but you would expect that,best of both worlds! Looking forward to more great music from the trio!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good songs, really good musicians - stand out tracks ..., 31 July 2014
Purchased for my 17 year old who loves this group - haven't stopped playing this all summer! Really good songs, really good musicians - stand out tracks for me Days are Gone and The Wire, daughters like If I Could Change Your Mind and Falling. So refreshing to have talented young girls who can sing, play their instruments so well and don't feel the need to strip down to their knickers in order to sell records.

5.0 out of 5 stars Startling sound that constantly surprises, 24 Nov 2014
This was my one and only introduction to Haim and I was shocked by their consistently excellent output all the way through. They certainly have a nostagic vibe, calling to mind the best of nineties pop, indie and soft rock. Sublime rhythms, soulful vocals and a sound you just have to love.

This instantly became one of my favourite albums - the sort that has a winner on very track.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Saved Me, 18 Jan 2014
Pendragon (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
I don't listen to a lot of contemporary music, preferring my extensive CD collection. But I always watch Jools Holland's Hootenanny, and what a good job I did this month! That was the first time I encountered Haim (ok you can accuse me of living under a rock). Fantastic live sound (love Este's "bass face" as her sisters call it [YouTube interview]). I then watched all Haim's YouTube clips, live and studio (if you like them, you have to catch their cover on YouTube of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well") before buying. Unlike some other reviewers, I like the echoes of Fleetwood Mac and the 70s. Bring it on I say.

Can't stop playing this CD. I recognise the comments that this CD is studio produced - but what do you expect? Studio sound is always different. One day there will be a Haim "live" album, be patient. Although personally, I can't wait.

In the meantime, the studio production brings out to the full the depth of the tracks. Not only the singles, but almost all the tracks are very strong. As with any album from a successful singles band you have to listen to the rest with a little more care.

My faith in contemporary music restored, thanks girls.

You did not say you will save me but you did save me.

Now, where is Haim's 2014 European tour website ... ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Haim cd, 29 Jun 2014
Really good cd, also got it on auto rip on all my devices fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 1 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning album, 1 Jun 2014
Brilliant music. If you love some light, almost country like at times music you must buy this album. Refreshing and great new music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not partciularly memorable album, 30 May 2014
Disappointed with the level of songs on this album. Personally not to my taste - I prefer the Pierces as this is too bland.

Days Are Gone