5.0 out of 5 stars The actual spec...
For those wondering what this spec actually means: Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 15.6-inch Laptop - Dark Chocolate (Intel Core i5 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8 for 429)

As reported by CPU-Z:

- CPU: Intel i5 3320M (Ivy Bridge) running at 2.6GHz.
- RAM: 4gb of DDR3 running at a DRAM frequency of...
Published 8 months ago by MrPete

3.0 out of 5 stars Good specs but far from perfect
Published 7 months ago by DivineBliss

5.0 out of 5 stars The actual spec..., 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 15.6-inch Laptop - Dark Chocolate (Intel Core i5 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)

As reported by CPU-Z:

- CPU: Intel i5 3320M (Ivy Bridge) running at 2.6GHz.
- RAM: 4gb of DDR3 running at a DRAM frequency of 798.1MHz (therefore 1600Mhz).
- Graphics: Intel HD 4000 (Nvidia GeForce GT635M 1GB shows in device manager but not in CPU-Z).
- HDD: Samsung/Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5".

Windows experience index as standard is 4.5.

Overall the machine is nicely put together and is excellent spec for the money. However, the keyboard is really flimsy, especially around the return key. I will be putting an SSD in it and installing Windows 7 as frankly a 5400rpm HDD with this spec is a massive waste. It chugs away doing the simplest of tasks, but that's HDDs, not the fault of this machine.

UPDATE:

I've just opened the machine up to install an SSD and have found the following:

- Three screws are missing from the underneath, front of the case - could this signal a refurb model!?
- An existing warranty sticker covering the CD drive screw has had another one applied over the top - again signalling a refurb.
- A few shims under the flimsy keyboard can easily fix the flexing / sponginess issue.

Amazon, if you're going to sell refurbished laptops, you really should say so!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good specs but far from perfect, 29 Jan 2014
I purchased this on Amazon for 449, because the specs seemed good and it was about 100 quid cheaper than its retail price. It arrived promptly courtesy Amazon's excellent service. It was packaged well and it was evident that it is a brand new laptop. I opened the package and set up the laptop. In the looks department it is a fairly sturdy looking lappy minus the sleek curves that we see in some of the other brands. Initial set up was relatively quick, but 10 minutes after the set up the laptop hanged! The screen went blank while the laptop remained switched on. I waited for about an hour for it to reboot itself but it did not, which forced me to restart it by pressing down the start button for a few seconds! This was the least I was expecting from a brand new laptop and I was very disappointed. Well, it did restart and then it worked smoothly until I noticed the stick-on glue patches between the screen's frame and the screen - obviously meant to stick the frame to the screen. Perhaps this is how the frame and the screen are held together in all laptops, but the glue patches are NEVER visible from the front of the screen. This is a big design and workmanship flaw in this laptop according to me. The initial hanging and then this flaw sealed the fate of this laptop for me. Also, for an i5 processor, the laptop was lacking in speed. So, this was promptly returned and I am awaiting full refund as I write this review.

All in all, avoid if you can. You'd get better value for your money elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy for its price (reviewed after 2 months), 12 Jan 2014
I did fair bit of research and finally bought this computer.

Pros:
Its very good specs machine for its price. Its fast and does feel like a machine with i5 and dedicated graphics. Reviews of its graphic cards were very good at benchmarking websites. It looks good and is slimmer than other 15 inch screens. Keyboard is back lit which can be switched off if you wish to, sound quality is decent but better than 650 toshiba which I had to return due to faulty keyboard. Keyboard is good with keys not too big or too small and register fairly soft touch consistently. Hard disk is slow rpm (5400) but works faster than anticipated. screen is fairly big. Windows 8 takes a bit getting used to but with win 8.1 upgrade it is easier to use and I actually prefer it to win 7 now.

Cons:
Camera is very poor quality.
Screen resolution is not HD but you know it before buying. It does not have any perceptible affect on netflix/dvd movies, family photos and internet browsing and office work. I do not play games so cannot comment.
I had to roll back video driver after it told me to upgrade and sort out wifi issue but it was easy to find through lenovo support app pre-installed on the computer.
Other big drawback is you have to remove keyboard, dvd drive and a few other things to reach RAM slot if you wish to upgrade (same for hard disk drive) . I upgraded RAM on all my old laptops myself as RAM slots were easy to reach. I bought this computer knowing this as it was the best configuration at this price. In fact at 4 GB RAM it works better than I thought it would. May be Win 8.1 has something to do with it.
(I am mostly mac user but like this machine a lot).

I do not any experience of lenovo customer service so far but took a chance as budget was limited. I would recommend buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT * * * * *, 20 Jan 2014
After a few weeks of searching for the right laptop at the right price I decided to take a chance on the Lenovo Z500. It matched my requirements and had relatively good reviews. I was looking for a laptop at around 400 - 500 (bought on amazon for 449)with i5, 4GB+ RAM, 1TB hard drive and a dedicated graphics card for casual gaming.

I have been very impressed with this laptop. It is light, thin, sleek and built to a high standard. It looks great! I have to disagree with other reviews that complain about the keyboard and touchpad. I find all laptop touchpads a chore to use but found the z500's a lot better than some others I have used. It seems technically sound and I haven't had any issues with it. The keyboard is very snazzy and I love the illumination behind the keys (which can be turned off). The keys function as they should and I haven't had any issue with key presses not registering as other reviews on amazon have stated. I like the spacing of the keys and layout too.

The screen is bright and clear and I have not had any issues with the brightness adjustment as per other reviews (perhaps this issue has been rectified?) It is a glossy screen and I could imaging this could cause glaring if used outdoors on a sunny day. The resolution is a little lower than I'm used to but it is more than adequate. I think the screen choice was deliberate as I have read that many midrange dedicated (laptop) graphics cards operate best at this resolution (1366 * 768). The sound is great too, very crisp, good depth and good volume.

The battery life is better than I am used to, it averages between 4.5 and 5.5 hours depending on use. I was very please with the battery life but others may not think that is good? There is also very good software for power management included which allows you to manage power profiles and optimise the life cycle of the battery. Also a dust removal feature which controls the speed of the main intake/outtake fan, it pulses very quickly to expel any dust.

The internal spec is great and runs Windows 8 very efficiently and boots up surprisingly quick even though the hard drive is fairly slow. I do intend on upgrading the hard drive to a SSD eventually but for now it will do just fine. I haven't tried opening the laptop up yet so cant comment on the difficulty some people have had in upgrading the RAM or HD. Windows 8 isn't as bad as I thought or was made to believe. Once you understand the layout, update it to 8.1 and get everything the way you like it (and remove all the useless 3rd party software), its very similar to Windows 7. The glaring difference is the removal of the start bar but once you understand that the new start bar is the Windows 8 app sliding screen, its fine. Everything else can be accessed by other means anyway. I would have preferred Windows 7 but I'm not fussed now.

One of the main buying points for me was the dedicated graphics card, the GT 635M. It was the best card for the money and spec I wanted. I have only tried one game, Shogun 2 total war. It run very well, surprisingly well in fact. On the stated resolution, most graphics settings were set to Ultra. I'm a big fan of RTS games and it run really well and looked great. I fully intend to try Skyrim on it which I am sure will run fine on medium - high settings. Youtube videos show that it does run on the GT635.

Overall, I love this laptop and the price was great. Anyone looking for a recommendation for a casual gaming, great spec, great price laptop then look no further.

Any queries, I will do my best to respond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo z500 "for those who do", 29 Jan 2014
This is my first notebook after 12 years of only using more powerful desktops,and i think its a great first machine for any user ,be it general use or gaming as it packs decent performance into a small form but definitely has a quality feel to it.I really didnt know much about laptops beforehand or what the tech inside them was like compared to more familiar desktops but after researching reviews of many makes it seems that lenovo are second to apple in terms of customer rating overall according to many online review websites dedicated to computing etc,ive been using this for 2 weeks now and the specs on mine were the same as listed for this product..intel i5 2.60 ghz processor,nvidia 635 m graphic card,4 gb ram,and the windows 8 operating system,of course there are other variations with bigger i7 processors and more ram but i felt this one offered plenty.on board ,and indeed like some reviewers here i have fitted another stick of ram giving me a healthy 8 gb and also a fast crucial ssd which really is a great upgrade,making the z500 boot up in seconds.Yes i have tried some familiar games on this such as euro truck sim 2 which ran pretty well with no hiccups and other older stuff like oblivion which looks sharp and detailed compared to any console version ,but because i dont intend on heavy gaming and looking for so called ultra settings on demanding titles i cant really comment on that but as i said above for a first time buyer this is in my estimation ,with many reviewers here who have bought it a great laptop for general purpose use and within its limits some decent gaming results also,its why i actually went for the z500 rather than the g500 as it offers some better performance at a little more cost.The windows 8 os is not a problem to use and i like its snappiness and visuals,im not one of the haters as i really cant think of any real reason to say otherwise,ive used windows xp since its release up until last year when getting a new gaming pc built and went for 8 rather than 7 and have no problem.its worth mentioning that according to lenovo website a newer z model is being released soon in feb i believe,and likely will replace this one but thats not really an issue as far as im concerned,the z500 is a sound purchase and i give it 5 stars. Alright a small gripe for me was the touchpad ,but this is simply because i dont like using it and its not as intuitive as a mouse with the right hand but not worth marking it down as you really dont have to use it,thats it really ......

4.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality, let down a bit by a slow hard drive, 9 Jan 2014
I bought this laptop for taking to university every day and occasional light gaming while I'm away from my powerful desktop machine.
The build quality is mostly fantastic with a few small annoyances here and there. For example, certain areas of the keyboard flex slightly when keys are pressed heavily. Also, the rubber feet on the bottom are a bit more hard than I'd like so the grip isn't fantastic.
The biggest flaw with this laptop is the 5400RPM hard drive which makes booting as slow as a wet week compared to my other machines which all use SSD boot drives.
I was however aware of this when I bought the laptop and I bought a USB3 2.5" enclosure to put the hard drive in with the intention of replacing it with an SSD.
I ordered the version sold as "Core i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD" which contains an i5-3230m and 1x 4GB stick of ddr3 1600MHz (this makes a ram upgrade much cheaper as there is a free slot).
Windows 8 is incredibly unintuitive and just doesn't work on a non- touchscreen device in my opinion but this can be downgraded to windows 7 if you wish.
Other than that it's a fantastic laptop and I'm very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 27 Dec 2013
For specifications,this is a great deal,fairly high spec for what i needed it for,delivery was swift as usual,happy with this laptop and would recommend to anyone for under 500.

3.0 out of 5 stars baaaaaa, 3 Mar 2014
Slow at start up also freezes and i have to use onekey recovery nearly every time it starts up msn is sending down loads

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a few problems so far, 24 Feb 2014
The laptop works fine but I had some problems with the drivers for the Win 8.1.
I had a problem with the screen brightness as well, suddenly the backlight went off and I could barely see what it was showing... I got it 'fixed' by adjusting the screen brightness while the laptop was booting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid laptop for the price, some issues at the start, 17 Feb 2014
This is a good laptop for its price range. Like others have said, some things are less than ideal like the slightly squishy keyboard, not very responsive track pad and relatively low resolution (1366x768). Also, you can't remove the battery. None of these issues really bother me for what I want it for however there were quite a few issues to be resolved when I first took delivery of the laptop. If you're not a tech person, consider asking someone for help to set this thing up. As for the Windows 8 argument, I'm fine with it; it takes a little getting used to but I wouldn't dream of saying it's a reason not to get the laptop.

Some issues and how to fix them:
1. You need to download some updates before you upgrade to Windows 8.1 which doesn't come with the laptop.[...] has information about what to do if you're stuck at this stage, unable to find the update in the store.
2. The windows update then seems to lead to the "brightness error", where you get stuck on the dimmest brightness setting and it's very annoying searching for a fix when you can hardly see. [...] Post #163 has got the solution here.
3. Mine was dropping my wireless connection all the time and I had a hard time figuring out what the issue was. [...] This is the driver site of the network adapter. Find the right one (Windows 8, 64 bit) and download and install it and the problem goes away.
4. The computer has a hard time at the beginning knowing whether to use the integrated graphics or the nvidia card. If you go the nvidia control panel - which you can get to from right-clicking on the desktop - you can change "global settings" or set individual programs to be used with the nvidia card.

Once I got those issues sorted I was quite happy with it. it's a well-made and fairly smooth running piece of equipment for it's price. Consider shelling out for an SSD if you want better performance - the hard drive is the slowest part. If you buy an enclosure (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BH83LYG/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_3 for example is what I have) you can put the HDD from the laptop in it and use it as an external 1tb hard drive.