5.0 out of 5 stars WiFi seems to work for me!
Just received my U410, wifi seems to work fine for me, seems like a bit of pot luck!

Laptop is great for under £500 notes. Keyboard flexes a bit but not huge deal.

Cheers Amazon!
Published 9 months ago by Al

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, don't bother. Returned mine.
Good looking bit of kit with a good spec for £499.99.

Published 6 months ago by FriendlyFire

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, don't bother. Returned mine., 21 Jun 2014
FriendlyFire (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad U410 14-inch Touchscreen Ultrabook - Graphite (Intel Core i7 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
Good looking bit of kit with a good spec for £499.99.

However, it is completely unusable due to the defective WiFi. It has a poor and unstable reception with windows 8. Then 8.1 breaks it completely. With a bit of fiddling and new drivers it starts again. However, it's slow and unstable again. Web pages load half the time and then won't refresh without dropping contact. Windows toy like interface doesn't help in debugging. Truly it is a piece of rubbish I can't believe Lenovo shipped it.

It's apparently a known issue for over two years!

Beyond the WiFi issue, it's slow and filled with bloatware. Windows 8 is a toy OS, and there isn't any support except what you can find online - but of course you can't get online! The key board is "bouncy" with what seems to be a hump in the centre. It makes for strange typing - nothing like my 2005 Thinkpad.

Anyone buying would have to consider a RAM update and a SSD solid state drive. An Intel wireless card upgrade is available but I didn't love this machine that much to make that much effort. What really kills this machine is the screen which is awful. Looking at the centre of the screen the top and bottom are out of spectrum )green looks black). I found myself constantly adjusting the angle as I moved closer or slouched in my seat.

I wanted to like this machine but if you can't easily and reliably connect online a computer isn't worth more than a single star. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars WiFi seems to work for me!, 8 Mar 2014

Laptop is great for under £500 notes. Keyboard flexes a bit but not huge deal.

Cheers Amazon!

2.0 out of 5 stars WIFI Issue Still Present, 13 May 2014
Mr. M. Cassidy "Cassidma" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
WIFI issues most definitely still present on my laptop manufactured Nov 2013.
Atheros WIFI card fitted as standard and no drivers present on the Lenovo Site.
20 Meg throughput on Motorola Zoom2 tablet at 10m distance
5 Meg throughput on Lenovo U410 at 10m.
Swapping the WIFI antenna leads over on the WIFI card made no difference.
Suspect a hardware issue and the best threads on the internet point to an issue with the WIFI Antenna built into the laptop lid.
Only recommended if your are prepared to use a WIFI dongle.
Would be more helpful if people who said no WIFI issue present could quote speeds obtained over what distance and what WIFI adapter is fitted in their laptop.
I think the number of these customer returns Amazon has to sell again speaks for itself.
Aside from the WIFI it's a good piece of kit, ignore comments about key board flex as you have to be quite heavy handed to detect it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving my Lenovo, 21 Dec 2013
I have had this laptop now for a little under a week and so far I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I'm a university student, so for me it will predominantly be used for internet, email, streaming videos, downloading music, Microsoft office etc. For my degree, I also need a couple of student version programs such as LUSAS and GSA and I'm hoping I can do some light gaming with the given specs. I spent quite a bit of time deliberating what I should buy, so I hope you find my run down of pros and cons helpful!

PROS

Touch screen is nice and responsive. I'm actually surprised how much I have been using it, as I did think it was a little bit of a gimmick for laptops. It does make the Windows 8 operating system more intuitive to use, so if you're a little skeptical about Windows 8 (as I was) it might be worth the extra money! I am getting used to Windows 8 now, and I definitely recommend the update to 8.1 as it makes everything a bit easier to navigate! Some of the useful things you can do on Windows 8 with a touch screen are closing apps, swiping between apps, flicking between photos and scrolling on webpages or documents. As more websites become optimized for touch screen devices, a touch screen will be quite beneficial. There's also a touch screen keyboard which is easy to access but I haven't found much use for that yet.

Plenty of storage with 500GB hard drive space. I have also received this laptop with what I think might be an SSD of 22GB usable space installed ; wasn't expecting this so I guess that's an added bonus! Other reviews mention this, but its not specified in Amazon's tech specs. This could mean that this drive is actually just a partition but I need someone a bit more tech savvy to verify this for me!

Unlike some of the other reviews, I have had no problems with the wifi connectivity as yet (touch wood). I have even managed to get connected up at my Dad's house and his connection is a far cry from the fiber optic broadband I'm used to from living in the city. Laptop maintains connection well and doesn't drop the signal. Have successfully streamed videos from YouTube and Netflix and downloaded iTunes and other software without any issues.

Laptop is slim and stylish looking, the weight isn't too bad either. Its not the thinnest or lightest on the market, but I'd say you're getting pretty good value as its very portable. The power brick isn't very bulky either so it will fit nicely in my backpack when I need to take it to uni or the library.

Touch pad is BIG and responsive. Left and right clicks are well defined, and you can use intelligent actions, like two fingers to scroll up and down, without any bother.

The Intel i7 processor and the Nvidia graphics have both been great so far. 4GB RAM as well so its running great just now. The start up is fast as well, at the moment, under ten seconds for me.

CONS

As previous reviews have mentioned, the keyboard does give a little, particularly when using the central keys. I'm not a heavy typer, so I don't see this being a problem for me. Otherwise, I like the keyboard, the keys are well spaced, and Lenovo have put a set of function keys along the top for volume, muting, refreshing webpages, screen brightness adjustment etc. You can still access F1, F2 etc by holding the Fn key. A minor point, but the enter key and shift key on the right are also smaller than what I'm used to, but I should get used to it in time.

There is no disc drive, but there are an abundance of USB ports so if I feel I really need it I will buy an external one. I was a bit uncertain about making this compromise initially, but I can't even remember the last time I used the disc drive in my old laptop. As I download or stream most of my music and films now, I expect its been well over a year, possibly even two.

Since upgrading to Windows 8.1 I'm having a bit of a problem with the Dolby Home Theater drivers that have been installed, I'm still getting sound from the computer, but apparently I need to update/reinstall these drivers as Dolby Home Theater can't start. This gives me a wee error message everytime I start the computer. For me this isn't presently a pressing issue and have found a fix on the internet which I will try - seems that a few Lenovos have been affected by this change and it can be resolved. I just want to make other purchasers aware of this!

I haven't found the battery life to be quite as good as 8 hours, but I'm getting a good 4-5 hours from full charge at least, often more, I guess it depends what you are using the laptop for.

CONCLUSION

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. My brother and boyfriend (both tech geeks) are extremely impressed by the spec and quality being offered by Lenovo and I'm confident that this laptop will serve me well for the years to come. If you're looking for a decent spec laptop for moderate use then I would say this one is a pretty good bet. At £499, the price is great too, I really feel like I have gotten good value for money with this purchase.

UPDATE 22/12/2013: Have resolved the Dolby Home Theatre Driver problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, its all working fine now.

4.0 out of 5 stars This thing is awesome, super fast, 23 Aug 2014
This thing is awesome, super fast. its the fastest pc ive ever had and good enough for gaming at least the games ive played. Laptops are usually useless for this but this one handles serious graphics and smoothly. Looks really stylish also looks more like a mac book than a PC. touchpad is big and very good in general, the buttons are underneath though and are awkward to use practically . 2 x 3.0 usbs, cheapest i7 laptop ive ever seen which decent spec.

on the other hand

It is a touchscreen but do you really need it on a laptop, touchscreen is more of a tablet thing but it is there if you need it. Battery life is awful, need mains most of the time. keyboard is a bit flexy and feels a bit flimsy, this doesnt bother me though its types fine, not as bad as reviews make out. It feels a bit bulky and heavy for a ultrabook. 14 inch screen is nice size and larger than what im used to, but I quite like the extra space to be honest, the downside is it not the best resolution screen and the colours are a bit too contrasty even with adjustment, and brightness is also not that great.

watched some bad reviews on youtube and some guy slated it saying it was cheap and nasty, I will say it is not without it faults but in geneal I love it. Power and style on the cheap

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little laptop but still getting used to the Windows 8 quirks, 24 Dec 2013
I purchased this laptop as a replacement for my dying a slow death HP laptop. After much research I decided to go for this one and I like pretty much everything about it so far.

Pros:
It's fast and responsive thanks to the i7 core processor and the 4gb of ram. Boot up and programm/app launched are generally quite quick.
It's just big enough to be a desktop replacement but small enough to be portable.
The 2gb Nvidia Graphics makes using watching and concert video easy, as well as using graphics based programmes a breeze with no lag or stuttering (please note that there actually 2 graphic cards,there intel card which is integrated within the i7 chip and Nvidia which has 2gb dediciated graphics. I researched this and found this to be quite common)
The 500gb hard drive has more than enough space for my music, ebooks and documents. Please not there is not a SSD installed, what you actually get is one hdd that is partitioned into 2 drives, a C drive with windows installed and with just under 400gb (425gb total) for personal storage and desktop programmes and the D drive with a total 25gb (22gb actually remaining) space for your metro apps.
Regardless of the lack of SSD i've not seen any lag in start up/boot time or even app launches.
Wifi - not had any problems so far with this and is generally quite responsive.
Keyboard - there is some give but nothing too problematic overall it's generally a good layout with good spacing, although having been used to HP and Toshiba laptops in the past it did take me about a week to get use the slight differences - and i still have issues with the page up/down, home and end buttons.
All the connection points are great, particularly the two 3.0 usbs ports and the full HDMI slot.
Touchscreen - so far my experience of the touch screen has been good and it useful when other elements don't always work the way you want them too.

Cons:
I so far dislike the touchpad which is very sensitive (I notice this most when in chrome, it will zoom into a page when you least expect it) and the left click button seems to only work consistently when you press the right into the corner.
Some of the preinstalled software is always something I dread when purchasing a laptop and whilst not overally full of bloatware there were some apps and programs I am going to get rid of.
No optical disk drive (though I did know this going in) and you will need to purchase an external one if you want to view DVDs - please note the native windows media player will not play DVDs so you will need to install a program like VLC player.
Dobly Home Theater driver problem - like others have mentioned I too had an issue after I had upgraded to windows 8.1. After a quick search all I needed to do was reinstall the relevant drivers with can be found on your D drive, and Bob's your uncle it was all sorted.
Battery life is variable depending on usage, if your wanting to be away from home a lot without the need to recharge then this may not be for you. But I regularly get about between 4-6 hours usage which is great for moving around the house and garden.

Stray observations (mostly about Windows 8/8.1):
Windows 8 takes some getting used to as does using the touchscreen, I constantly find myself using the touchpad until I remember that sometimes it's just easier to use the screen.
The Snap feature is useful for working on multiple documents.
Big upgrades in Windows can be a pain as it takes for every and day to restart after the an update. Hopefully now I've updated to 8.1 this should hopefully quite down.
Since updating things are set to integrate automatically with SkyDrive account it's annoyance because you only get 7gb of space when compared to your 500gb hdd. But I was was getting frustrated most when saving documents on the hdd from the web only to be presented with your SkyDrive account instead of my previous downloads folder, so I had to go in and change all my settings.

Conclusions:
Overall, I'm really pleased with my purchase and for £499.99 it was a bargin for the spec I got and whilst there are some little issues here and their these are not enough for me to hate my new laptop. Also the build and quality and design are lovely. I would recommend this laptop to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars WiFi Problems make this device unusable, 10 Jun 2014
A lovely, highly portable, computer that works well in all ways, except a pretty critical one.

This machine is virtually unable to connect to WiFi unless sitting on top of the router, move it away and signal drops off to unusable.

I returned the computer for a full refund and bought an HP Touchscreen instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad build quality, 8 Jan 2014
Positives

- Fast CPU,
- Decent-ish graphics card,
- 2 hard drives (SATA and mSATA)
- Relatively easy to disassemble (3 screws on the bottom under the rubber feet then pry from hinge area)

but saying all that.. the following have pushed it down to a 2 star for me

Negatives

- Build quality is awful - the machine is too heavy for the case. If you pick it up by one side weird things happen; random keys press themselves or the track pad activates.
It might look pretty but it weighs far too much for the flimsy aluminium chassis and feels far from robust.

- Track-pad is sensitive on the button area so as click a button it moves the cursor causing you to miss what you were trying to click on. It's not the end of the world but it is a little annoying.

- Replacement batteries (at time of writing 2014/01) are about £80 at present and are custom made to fit within this chassis.

- Poor Linux support for graphics drivers (at time of writing 2014/01). The graphics chip-set is a hybridised intel/nvidia setup that, when run with proper drivers, "seamlessly" switches between the intel and nvidia chip depending on the graphics load. At present Debian has no drivers that perform this switch automatically. You can either have intel or nvidia always on or using Bumblebee you can choose to launch a specific program with nvidia drivers.

**And to the rest of the reviewers on here; Please stop reviewing Windows 8 instead of the laptop. It's like saying your TV sucks because you spend all your time watching Channel 5**

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 17 July 2014
Had some issues to begin with, but that would mainly be the Wi-Fi. I solved it in the first hour by reinstalling the drivers and replacing the antivirus software (Had McaFee preinstalled, now I have Avira. Deleted Mcafee), worked perfectly from then on. (Not sure which of these was the actual solution.)
The other problem I had was when I updated to Windows 8.1, the sound didn't work. Solved it quite quickly by reinstalling the audio driver.

I love the laptop. When I bought it I didn't think that I would use the touchscreen that often, but I use it all the time. It is really fast and I have no issues with it. Bought it 4 months ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars good laptop overall except for the wifi problem, 15 Jan 2014
Had to return the item sadly. Liked the laptop but wifi was horrible. 450 seemed a good deal for an i7 touchscreen. But this might be the reason for the discount afterall.