5.0 out of 5 stars REMASTERED COMPILATION FOR THE NEW GENERATION
Published 9 months ago by Xavier Limtuaco

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of gems amongst the standard tracks
The collection has the usual Donna Summer classics that feature on many of her other greatest hits collections.

I bought it because it has the 15 min version of Je T'aime (moi non plus) which is not on other collections and which I love and there is also the 12" version of Theme from the Deep (Down Deep Inside) which not featured on other collections...
Published 9 months ago by discofan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars REMASTERED COMPILATION FOR THE NEW GENERATION, 25 Oct 2013
Xavier Limtuaco (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
As a huge Donna Summer fan, I really wish I had the power to supervise a compilation set which would contain all her career-defining songs from the 1970s up to the 2000s. This new UK compilation is the first official compilation that has come out more than a year after Donna's untimely passing in May 2012. It covers the 1976-1983 period of Donna's career with songs taken from 1976's "Love to Love You Baby" to 1983's "She Works Hard For The Money." There are no songs in this compilation from 1977's "Four Seasons of Love" and 1980's "The Wanderer."

Similar to her previous compilations, there are many songs lacking here but I understand that this set was intended mainly for the UK market where Donna's "I Feel Love" was a massive hit there and, surprisingly, her only no. 1 in the UK charts. Hence, the title "I Feel Love The Collection." Songs like "Love's Unkind" and "Back In Love Again" from 1977's "I Remember Yesterday" are featured here since they became UK hits. Hearing these songs plus "Sunset People" (also a UK hit) and "Our Love" from 1979's "Bad Girls" makes me really wonder why they were never released in the US as singles since these songs could have become massive hits during the 70s when Donna ruled the Billboard pop and dance charts.

Instead of 12" versions which have all been featured in her other cds, Disc 2 could have included other Donna songs which made the UK charts like the lush "Winter Melody," "The Wanderer," "State of Independence," "The Woman In Me," "Stop, Look and Listen," "Dinner With Gershwin," "All Systems Go," "This Time I Know It's For Real," "I Don't Wanna Get Hurt," "Love's About To Change My Heart," "When Love Takes Over You," "Breakaway," "Work That Magic," "Melody Of Love," "Carry On" and "I Will Go With You." Worth mentioning, "I Feel Love" hit the UK charts 3x in 1977, 1982 and 2012 while "State Of Independence" also hit 3x in 1982, 1990 and 1996 yet it's nowhere in this compilation set.

Disc 3 could have been devoted to Donna's songs after 1983 with concentration on her musical input in the early 2000s prior to 2008's "Crayons" comeback. This disc could have featured songs like "La Vie En Rose (Stringapella Mix)," "I Got Your Love," "Whenever There is Love" (duet with Bruce Roberts), "Does He Love You?" (duet with Liza Minnelli), "Someday," "Power of Love," "The Power Of One" and one of my all-time favorite Donna Summer songs, "Breakaway" (Remix Edit) from 1989's "Another Place and Time" plus Donna rarities like "Dreamcatcher," "When I Look Up," "My Prayer For You," "Take Heart,"
Donna's version of "A Whole New World," "Rosie Christmas" and "O Holy Night" from her very underrated "Christmas Spirit" cd.

Looking at the positive aspect of this compilation, I really love the beautiful cover. The cd has an insert with a photo of a young Donna (circa 1976) and another picture of Donna and Giorgio Moroder in the studio during their heyday (circa 1970s) plus photos of her albums where the featured songs were taken. The writing credits of two songs, however, are wrong. For instance, "I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley Mix)" on Disc 2 and "Love To Love You Baby" on Disc 1 only credits Giorgio and Pete as songwriters without Donna when it is a fact that the three of them wrote both groundbreaking songs.

The songs on this compilation sound really good after being remastered. I noticed the thumping bass on songs like "Love To Love You Baby," "I Remember Yesterday," "Last Dance," "Down Deep Inside," "Je T'Aime." For the new generation, this could be their introduction to the timeless music of a legendary diva, Donna Summer. She had so many great songs in her catalogue including album cuts and non-hits which are really enough material for a great compilation. I am waiting for my copy of "Love To Love You Donna" which is a US compilation of new remixes of her classic songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars long live the queen, 30 Sep 2013
well what's to be said of donna summer fantastic singer song writer and disco diva!!!! there was only ever one,this double cd is a real gem nothing new on it for me as I have it all but for new fans this delivers from start to finish with I feel love best song ever made!!! to back in love again very rare on a donna best of cd.all the edits I find are spot on all tracks but best of all the sound for a midprice cd like this is great and remastered at abbyroad so to any long time donna fans please buy you know it makes sense

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of gems amongst the standard tracks, 23 Oct 2013

Why feature Theme from the Deep, MacArthur Park, Heaven Knows on CD1 when theey are included in longer versions on CD2. Other tracks could have been used instead on CD1. Nice to see Back In Love Again featured which is often missing from other collections.

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice collection but nothing new, 6 Oct 2013
Nicely packaged and remastered, and very good value for 2CDs full to the brim with many of Summer's finest recordings, but there's nothing new here at all. Her cover of Je T'aime can be found on the CD soundtrack of Thank God It's Friday, and the Cowley edit of I Feel love was on CD2 of Summer's recent The Journey compilation.

As for 12" version of Down Deep Inside - it's the single version with the last two minutes repeated. And Our Love and Sunset People, two great Moroder/Summer/Faltermeyer collaborations are taken straight from her classic 1979 Bad Girls album.

It's a very good value compilation for new fans of Donna Summer, but nothing that we haven't heard before....

5.0 out of 5 stars Although there are many DS compilations about..............., 18 Mar 2014
.....what I like about this are acoupel of here tracks that don't normally appear to make it on to such compilations - including Love's Unkind and Back in Love Again. I feel love always plays well and despite it's age, doesn't appear outdated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bella Donna, 21 Dec 2013
B. Keeping (London, England) - See all my reviews
I miss Ms. Summer - she was a part of my youth and if the megamix of I Feel Love isn't played at my funeral and it turns out there IS an after-life then I'll be a-haunting big time. Just saying. The collection is basically her career at Casablanca plus 2 tracks. The lack of tracks like She Works Hard For The money, Dinner With Gershwin, Love Is In Control and State of Independence is a shame. And no tracks from The Wanderer at all! And where's Carry On? Nonetheless, if you want Donna - The Casablanca years, this is the one for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic CD, 20 Dec 2013
Having listened to adverts on TV recently with Donna Summer songs in the background they reminded me of her music from when I was young when I had an LP with her picture on the disc itself of her greatest hits, so I bought this CD and have not been disappointed. Its amazing how many great artists from that era in rock and pop that are still popular today and the amazing music produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super collection., 25 Nov 2013
This double CD set contains all the main hits in their original form, and a good selection too. The second disc contains some extended versions including the seldom heard Je taime recorded for the TGIF soundtrack album as a bonus. Worth it for this alone, but also for all the great hits that are here too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I play this cd ll the time !!!, 20 Nov 2013
I was really pleased with my choice it has all the songs I loved when Donna was with us - brought back so many memories and CD received promptly as promised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation but issues with the Auto rip version, 7 Nov 2013
So much has been written about all these tracks on the CD - you either love them or hate them I guess but it is cool to have them all in one place after several less than comprehensive CD compilations!

At last we get Je t`aime moi non plus on CD in full form but why would it be only 1 second in duration (along with a couple of other tracks) on the amazon cloud auto rip version? This sort of cynical measure just makes the auto rip worthless - what`s the point?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›