5.0 out of 5 stars Couch potato paradise!
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Roku's Chromecast effort, not bad but not really convincing
The Roku streaming stick isn't a new idea it's basically the same concept as many others, Simply plug into an HDMI port on your TV, connect to your wifi network and sign up for the Roku account and away you go. It's pretty simple and easy to set up.

My quick fire good and bad impressions so far

Pros:
+ Comes with a remote (no volume control on...
Published 5 months ago by Mr Baz

5.0 out of 5 stars Couch potato paradise!, 16 Dec 2013
Amazon Customer (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having previously owned a Roku XS2, I decided to upgrade and now use the older one in the bedroom. I have to say this is much snappier (things load like you'd expect a modern streamer to do (almost instantly), whereas with the XS2 there was always a delay of 3-5 seconds for each app to load. Not essential, but very welcome--though it will still depend on the speed of your internet connection (anything above 5mbs should play fine). I never use the headphone socket on the remote, but it is a nice feature if you want to watch late at night or use it (as another reviewer suggests) as a portable music player.

They are fairly easy to set up. You need to plug it in, let it find your network (and enter your wireless password if you're using wireless), then go online and register at Roku. The box will give you a code to enter online, then it installs all the channels and you're done. You can add/remove channels in the channel store.

As for content, you get:

BBC iPlayer (includes TV/Radio and the ability to store favourites)
Netflix
ITV Player
4oD (nice app and has a huge catalogue of older programmes--same as 4oD website)
5oD
YouTube
BBC News
BBC Sport
Sky News
Now TV (Sky Sports £9.99 for 24 hours, Sky Movies £8.99 per month and Sky Entertainment Package (includes Sky Atlantic) £4.99 per month)
Sky Store (tons of New and old movies, Pay Per View between 99p and £4.49)
Plex (Stream Video files, YouTube, iTunes and some other channels from your Computer, also bookmark web videos from your browser to watch on the Roku later)
Spotify (requires premium membership)
Vevo
Russia Today
Euronews
Angry Birds

450+ Rubbish channels.

I really only use it for iPlayer, 4oD and Netflix. Though the news channels are useful (on Sky News you can watch the latest weather report whenever you want). The picture on Netflix is fantastic (though it seems to auto adjust to the best picture depending on your internet speed). I'd highly recommend one if you can afford it, if not then the Roku 2 is probably your best bet. If Netflix isn't essential then you should probably just get a NowTV player from Sky for £10. I'd certainly not recommend a PS3 (as another reviewer suggests) unless you specifically want to play games (besides the initial extra cost, Roku consumes around 5 watts, whereas PS3 is 100+ watts).

UPDATE: Recently got a TV card for my PC and use it a lot for recording films. Using Plex I can stream things recorded with Windows Media Center to my TV with the Roku app. You just have to install Plex Media Server on your PC, add a "home movie" collection to your Plex media library and link it to the folder you keep the video files in. It plays Windows Recorded TV Show (.wtv) files fine :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 18 Jun 2012
I bought this principally to stream Netflix to an almost 20 year old CRT TV which has only scart and standard AV connections (the red, white and yellow jack sockets)as an alternative to spending several hundred pounds on a new HD ready TV.

What can I say - after a very straightforward setting up process (you need to use a credit card or Paypal to set up a Roku account but this is only used in the event you opt for premium products) this little gadget worked right out of the box. It found my network immediately and connected to it once I had input the password. I then logged into my Netflix account and was very quickly streaming movies on my ancient telly, with absolutely no stuttering or buffering problems, all was smooth, just like watching a DVD. No doubt streaming performance is down to a decent wireless connection - the connection to my router was strong and robust and as yet I have had no issues (Sky is my internet provider). My screen is 66 cm so the 720p picture that the Roku puts out was perfectly suited - very crisp, surprisingly so, in fact. The sound quality of the stream was excellent too. The 3 jacks from the TV go into a composite single jack into the Roku box, so very simple to hook up. I had no difficulty with TV formats as one reviewer has mentioned previously, the box went into UK PAL mode immediately. I did have to change the settings to switch from US timezones but that is very easy to do.

The user interface is simple, if a tad clunky, reminiscent of an old 1980's arcade game and whilst it is a bit slow to move around it works ok. It is very easy to add free or premium channels and to switch between them. The small remote sits very easyily in the hand and with the limited number of control buttons it is very simple to use.

The Roku unit itself is surprisingly small and perches quite happily on my TV top without looking obtrusive. Roku recommend that you don't put it into an enclosed cabinet which might interfere with the wireless performance.

All in all I am very pleased with this product for a price just shy of £50. I suspect I would readily consider upgrading to its bigger brother once I decide to splash out on an HD ready TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb...if you know what you are getting., 6 Oct 2012
J. O'Boyle (Ayrshire, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought the Roku for viewing Netflix because my smart TV does not have the Netflix app, and I also wanted to be able to shift it through to the TV in the kitchen where I watch a lot of TV shows when I do the dishes. So I am going to review the Netflix side of the device as I think for UK consumers this may be its main draw (as well as bbc iplayer) and I will mention the other apps separately.

Netflix on Roku - I think the video and sound quality when viewing Netflix is excellent (even on my 42" plasma). I have been using it for months and have also had no problem with audio sync, pixelation or freezing during video play back. This was reassuring when I was using it in my kitchen as my other wi-fi devices usually report a low wi-fi signal in that part of my house. A few niggles I have about the Netflix interface on Roku... I do not think that it allows you to browse the entire catalogue, obviously you can search for a show or movie if you know the name of it (I think in other Netflix interfaces you can search by actor but not here) and the main screen comes up with new additions and recommendations across all genres based on your preferences and previously viewed shows or movies, but I have a feeling that there are some things you could miss on the Netflix Roku app if you did not know it was there, and perhaps using the Netflix website (or mobile app) occasionally to browse by genre etc would be a good idea to keep you up to date with the content. The Roku does not seem to have a "Browse All" option for Genres so I have spotted some movies on the website that were not shown on the home page on Roku, they are there....you just have to search. Don't get me wrong though, most of the content you would want is available from the home screen. Also it would be nice if you could add subtitles instantly during play back like (for example) when watching Netflix on the Wii, however you seem to have to go back to the previous screen, select them, then resume playing, but as it starts exactly where you left off this is hardly a big issue. As with all other Netflix apps any show or movie starts were you last left it and this syncs across your Netflix account so you can start watching something on the Roku, pick it up on your laptop, whatch a bit more on your phone, and come back to the Roku and each time it will start from were you left it on the previous device. You can obviously also choose to start from the beginning. I have noticed with Netflix that when you first start watching something it takes about 10 seconds or less for the video quality to catch up to full quality, so do not be disheartened if the video quality looks poor as soon as the video starts. Overall I am extremely happy with watching Netflix on the Roku. It comes with an AV connector so you can watch it on an old CRT type TV too, but you do have to purchase a HDMI cable if you want to watch it this way. I also love the Roku remote which only has a few buttons, the pause and rewind buttons functioning similarly across all Roku channels. More of which below.

Other channels on Roku (available from the channel store option on the device home page) - Being from the UK the main other app I use is the iPlayer app, as I have this on my TV I do not use it as much but any time I have used it I have found the browser as well as video and audio playback to be flawless and some of the content is in HD, but to be honest the standard definition stuff looks great too! There are about 100 other channels available on the Roku, most of them are free though some are subscription based. Many of the channels available are from American sources, though they are loads of category specific things from cooking channels, news, religion, gadgets/tech, music, radio,games and other video on demand services such as Break.com (the best Break interface I have saw on a device) and Crackle. Oh and it also has Dog TV a channel purely for dogs. It would have been great to see Youtube on here but the channel is sadly unavailable (update as of may 2014 it is now). Lovers of old and obscure movies will love some of the channels which brings tons of B movie horror, pulp movies and westerns available fo free (usually with an ad played before hand). The quality of these is terrible as they obviously have not been cleaned from their original source but this adds to the charm, and old movie lovers will have a field day going through the content available. I also liked the Facebook channel, it only shows the media content posted by yourself and others but if you have a lot of high quality pictures and videos on your (or others) Facebook accounts, this is a handy way to see them on a big screen. For more info on the available channels check out [...]
Some points to note which may be an issue for some...

To use the Roku you will have to subscribe at their web site with payment details (was pleased to see Paypal accounts are accepted) this is so that they can charge you if you purchase any of the paid channels but they don't take any payments off you unless this happens, much like the same way you have payment details saved with google in case you buy paid android apps. At one point during the setup of the device a code appears, and you have to then visit the website and enter the code, so if you are setting up the device it would be handy to have the internet to hand.

Also it only connects to the web via wi-fi, it has no Ethernet port so you will have to be sure your TV (or at least the places your Roku will sit) is within range of your wi-fi router. It also has no feature for reading video files direct from the device (such as from USB or SD) so if you already have a device for this, then you will have to keep it and the Roku and use both as required.

It does not allow you (as a standard feature) to stream media from your computer, I have heard some people buy it who think this is a feature. However (and maybe this is what Roku were referring to) one of the additional channels available is called Plex and allows you to setup your PC as a media server to stream videos to the Roku and also Plex apps on Android etc. I have never used this but it gets mixed review.

Update July 2013 - Now TV from sky has all been added which has great movies and works really well but it is quite expensive per month, interestingly they have released a now tv player for £10 which is a scaled down Roku and includes iplayer and demand 5.

To summarise I think the Roku is an awesome product and I have no regrets, but you should be fully aware of the content and functionality before making your purchase especially if there is a particular channel you plan to mostly use and you should not assume that any content you can access on the web is going to be available here. It looks good in its purple and black finish and it is tiny, around the size of a cigarette pack. I was also pleased to see that the Roku came first in the Cnet Prizefight against Apple TV.

May 2014 update : Youtube is now available it's a bit clunky to search but cool that you can link it to your tablet or smartphone so if u see a Youtube video on the you can "Send" it to the Roku and it plays on the TV.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 23 Dec 2013
Ms. L. F. Marsh "LFMarsh" (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roku 2 2720EU Streaming Player (Electronics)
I decided to purchase the Roku 2 mainly because I needed a replacement streamer for my non-internet enabled TV. Until recently I had a sony streamer which I used to watch Lovefilm and BBC iplayer, however it did not support HD, Netflix or NowTV and had a tendency to drop the network connection which could be quite frustrating. The Roku appealed to me due to its strong band name and support for Netflix, which I'd recently decided to switch to due to the larger contact available and its support of NowTV which I was also interested in trying out.

After having this model for a couple of days I'm happy to say I think i made a good choice, the HD playback is very impressive, no network drop outs as yet, it has a nice easy browsing interface, Netflix and NowTV work very well and there is some support for playing back recordings from your home network. The headphone jack is also a very useful addition as my partner likes to watch different things on his tablet while I'm also watching TV. The box itself is very small and takes up very little space, solid build quality and virtually noiseless as there are no fans. Comes with a nice simple remote and purple headphones.

On the negative side the initial setup is also quite long winded and can take a while as you have to sign up to a Roku account. Despite having some services I consider essential its also important to note the player doesn't support 4OD or ITV player, which if your not interested in signing up to paid accounts will make the Roku much less attractive.

However In the end Im very happy I decided to purchase the Ruko 2 and would definatly recommend.

The good:

Supports Netflix, NowTV, BBC iplayer and Demand 5
Solid wireless streaming
HD Support
Good quality interface
Useful headphone jack in remote

The Bad:
Complex Set-up
No 4OD or ITV player support

UPDATE: 4OD, ITV player, Youtube and BBC Sport are now supported

3.0 out of 5 stars Roku's Chromecast effort, not bad but not really convincing, 1 Jun 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Roku Streaming Stick (Electronics)

My quick fire good and bad impressions so far

Pros:
+ Comes with a remote (no volume control on it though which is odd)
+ Lots of content quite a lot more than other streamers (some free some paid for)
+ Covers all the usual and expected channels like youtube, Netflix, BBC iplayer, spotify, flixster, facebook
+ You can also control the Stick via the iOS and Android app, which also has voice search
+ Excellent picture quality
+ Dual band wifi, good connection and speed

Cons:
- Cost higher than comparable offerings
- Lots of content region specific (ie mostly the USA for some services)
- Quite a lot of questionable channels, such as old movies and a fair degree of ones you are not going to be that interested in
- Performance could be better not the fastest start up or that quick to launch services

Really you are paying a bit more for the remote which is open to debate how useful it will be esp as the app can control the device just fine via tablet or phone.

Boot up times were a tad slow and launching Netfilx wasn't as fast as my Blu-ray player. Content is quite huge just like Roku's box type streamers and players, vast in fact. But once you strip out the region specific ones and channels which are not going to be that interesting I was left wondering if there is any real reason to look at the Roku stick. Chromecast isn't perfect and is still being beefed up over time, but it's cheaper and the addition of a remote just pushes up the cost which is similar to lower cost Android boxes (in fact a bit more than some budget ones I've used). Part of the appeal of Chromecast is the low cost and the content is very likely enough for 95% of people. You also can't mirror from your phone/tablet browser.

The interface is pretty easy and quick to navigate with sections for premium content and other ones broken into sections such as news/weather, games, music.

The Roku stick isn't a bad idea, but feels very much like a quick reaction to Google's popular offering. Not a bad effort but I think most users are better off with Chromecast at this stage. If you already have a device like a gaming console or blu ray player that has wifi and can access online content you probably don't need this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, slick interface & loads of Apps, 4 April 2014
Got this unit for NetFlix and NowTv to have on the main TV and the Apps were easily set and working in minutes.

Quality of picture is very good as you would expect with HD.

Have used it in the lounge (near wireless router), as well as upstairs on the bedroom TV and no difference in streaming quality.

Highly recommend - the Roku 1 will do all you want it to do. The higher spec Roku's offer some additional features, but if you just want to stream Netflix, BBCi player, NowTV etc, this will do the job perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kit for non-Smart TVs, 31 July 2013
Mark H (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Basically this product allows you to take a TV that isn't 'SMART' and allows you to add both free and paid for extra content to your TV.

This is a compact and easy to set up piece of equipment. I was amazed how small it really is. We are talking the size of a smart phone if that, just thicker. The remote is simple to use. The box itself feels well made.

Set up is simple. The menu guides you through set up and it was very painless. Once it is connected to the Wi-Fi it will give you a code to register on the Roku site. So be sure to have the interweb handy to get online with. Once you have entered the registration code you will then need to register an account. It will ask you for a payment option but you don't get charged anything unless you pay for any of the pay movies or channels. And you have the option on sign-up to set a PIN that has to be entered if anyone wants to pay for something. In terms of payment options it supports credit cards but also Paypal, which I found convenient.

In terms of connectivity to the TV you have two options. Either the old school RCA leads or via HDMI. If you go via HDMI you have a couple of extra options in the Settings menu such as Audio can be set to Surround sound. Maximum resolution via HDMI is 720p with this LT model.

One thing to be aware of is that thie LT model is Wi-Fi only. For most people these days this won't present a problem but if you are planning to use it with a TV in a room where the wi-fi connection is not the best then it may affect your ability to stream the content from your router to the Roku. And also don't forget that using this will use your broadband, so whilst I know most people are now on unlimited packages at home if you are not and you use a lot already be careful!

The more expensive model does offer a couple of major things. Firstly it can stream full 1080p and secondly it has an Ethernet connection so no reliance on Wifi. I guess you will need to make the call on how important those are to you. For me if Roku becomes a major feature in my house then I will consider getting the more expensive model to get all the benefits.

All in all the set up took me about 10 minutes tops, from plugging in to getting my first movie streaming via Crackle (free movies, including some you may have heard of!). The end of the setup also takes you through adding some initial channels. This is handy if only to get something streaming to prove it all works. To be honest even

There are loads of channels available, most of them free, probably around 100 or maybe more! Lots of people will use it for Netflix but there are a heck of a lot of other movie and tv content streaming channels available too. My advice would definitely be to have a good search on the device and check out the Roku web site as well. I mentioned Crackle above, be wary on that one as you will find adverts popping up reasonably often at quite annoying points in a film. Explains why it is free but also something to be wary of on a number of the free channels.

All in all this is a great addition to the home entertainment armoury. Even if you have a Smart TV you may well find the Roku gives you an even wider range of channels. I'm impressed so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars No regrets. Great buy, 11 Oct 2014
Excellent little box. Great reception from wifi. I bought it to pick up Netflix on my older TV and it works well. Also works well through HDMI on the small TV in the kitchen. ITV player app is poor with only the current weeks viewing not the last 30 days or series catch up that the BBC and Channel 4 apps have. This is not a fault of the player, but of the app design. A Roco remote control can be downloaded to smart phones or tablets which also gives keyboard access for searches. The you tube app is excellent which can also synchronise with the smartphone as long as the official you tube app is being used. Very few of the other free apps provide much entertainment, however with a little searching around, the occasional gem can be found. A very compact design and a well designed and basic remote which makes it easy to use for anyone. As I mentioned, a keyboard can be used from the smartphone remote to speed up searches. Great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed - Any TV can be a Smart TV, 11 Dec 2013
Beltizar (Stockport, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have an xbox 360 which i have been using to stream Netflix and iPlayer through a non smart, HD television. Whilst this worked fine, the noise of the xbox fans was very distracting. I therefore wanted something with the functionality of the xbox for streaming, but quieter - or ideally silent.

I started looking at Android dongles/boxes but was put off with having to update firmware and 'root' the boxes. All I wanted was something which worked 'out of the box'.

In the box there is the Roku box, UK Mains Power supply, infra Red Remote, Batteries for Remote, AV cable (not HDMI). Everything you need to get you up and running on even a CRT television

I plugged the Roku box in to our LED TV via HDMI cable. As soon as I switched the TV on, the Roku had found my wireless network. I selected it and was prompted to enter the passcode. It then connected to the internet, updated itself with latest software/firmware with no intervention from me. There are no fans or moving parts so this is totally silent in use.

Then it instructed me to go the Roku website to register the box, using a code displayed on the TV screen as part of the set-up process (no pc required it said on the box so I did this on my phone!! )

It then automatically set itself to 720p (presumably because I had connected it to the TV with a HDMI cable, updated the time and showed me the apps

I selected Netflix, entered my user ID and password and was watching a movie on Netflix within 5 minutes of plugging the box in.

I had a look through the apps available and downloaded a couple - simple. I was a little disappointed that there a couple of popular apps which are not there (ITV Player, Lovefilm Instant, Sky Go/Player)

In summary, as I bought this primarily for using Netflix and BBC iPlayer, this is excellent.

Positives: Silent in use, Easy to set up, simple remote control, includes AV cable to connect to most TVs (as long as it has the Red White and Yellow inputs)
Downsides: No ITV player, Lovefilm Instant, Sky Player/Sky Go which I have on the xbox

Now Sky are involved heavily with Roku (same box used for Now TV box), there is a Sky Store app and hopefully more to follow

I am so impressed with how easy this is to use, I have bought another to use on a different TV and have bought my Mum one for Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to setup and use, 4 Nov 2013
Very easy to setup, just plug it to the tv with the cable supplied -also has hdmi connector but cable not provided-, plug in to the mains and the box guides you through the installation process. A pc or other internet browser access device is needed as a roku account has to be created. This was no problem and it all worked just fine, I was up and running in just a few minutes.
Using it is also straightforward, menu driven with lots of channels available, including iplayer, crackle etc. My only grumbles are the lack of a browser to access more uk content or you-tube which are sorely lacking.
The shipment from amazon was -as always- perfect and timely.

Roku 2 2720EU Streaming Player