5.0 out of 5 stars My personal witness
Published 13 months ago by Dinu

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful
I purchased the New Mini 0801 on 22 Nov 2013. Very pleased with the quality of it, until it stopped working on 17 April 2014, after less than six months use. E-PRANCE suggested various ways I could repair it but none of their suggestions worked.

Published 4 months ago by MR MAURICE J CARD

5.0 out of 5 stars My personal witness, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: E-PRANCE® New Mini 0801 Original Ambarella A2S60 Chip 5M pixel CMOS Car DVR Recorder With High Resolution Full HD 1080P 30 FPS, OV2710 G-sensor + Car License Plate + H.264 + 135 Degree Wide Angle View,Support HDMI/TV Out (Electronics)
Ordered this camera since I have a new car. I am what you may call a considerate driver, but I can only vouch for myself. In all my driving years I have seen a few accidents and it's always nice to have an impartial, all-seeing, all-recording witness. For example, you might get in on of those awkward situations where someone changes lanes like a "pro" and you're still to blame since you hit him from behind as he cut you off. Not anymore with this thing.
The packaging was very good and the quality of the camera is evident. Setup is a little laborious since it has a million options, but once done the camera performs flawlessly. A very nice feature is the small stand that sticks either to the glass or the dash with 3m tape and the camera itself can be slid in an out with ease. The cable actually goes in the stand (although it can also go in the camera as well) so no fiddling with wires when you want to take it out of sight. I stuck a 2gb micro sd card in it and it works perfectly. Nonetheless, at full hd resolution (1080 I think), with the settings of looping 1 minute movies, 1 minute of filming will create an approximately 85 MB movie. At 2 gig, that would come to not very long in terms of recording history. I ordered a 32 GB (the maximum the camera supports as far as memory size) for only 17 pounds so I'm covered.
The charger is high quality, the plastic of the camera is nice to the touch and the camera can be partially swivelled while on it's stand. The small screen is ideal for initial adjustment. It can record sound as well, but I'm careful about my privacy and wouldn't want to record my conversations from the car, so I turned it off. The screen is also something I set up to turn off after 1 minute. The camera powers up as soon as you start the car and powers off after a little while once you turn the engine off. There is a faint 'turn on and off' sound that apparently I couldn't figure how to turn off but I got used to it now. The quality of the videos is amazing at full resolution, you can clearly distinguish number plates and details. The viewing angle is also terrific, seeing almost from side mirror to side mirror.
The only thing to comment upon is a blue and red intermittent led that keeps flashing while the camera is recording. A little distracting during night time but a small piece of black electrical tape over it fixed this problem elegantly.
A very good product that I'm happy with. I took a plunge and bought it without extensive research and I don't regret it. If you have any questions about this camera, pop a comment and I will try to tell you my experience over that matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best buy this year., 29 Oct 2013
This has the best video and sound quality I've come across in a car cam.
I waited a little over a week before writing this review as I wanted to give a good field test in various weather and road conditions. This little gem has good low light capability at dusk and dawn as well as in overcast and heavy rain, as well as excellent daytime capture it also outperforms the other cameras at night on unlit country roads.

This is the real deal, Full 1080p HD unlike some that claim to be HD but are upscale 640 x 480 VGA you can spot these as they claim to be 1280p HD.

I could clearly see the detail of the traffic signs and number plates in the playback on my laptop. Also the link sequence between video segments is seamless unlike some I've tried. I was doubtful about the sound quality as other mikes on carcams are poor, but I was pleasantly surprised, the sound quality is good too.

I'm so impressed I am going to a customer of mine, a car electrician specialist, to get this beauty permanently wired into my car. as the other review by Michael Thwaite suggests take a look at a review of the 0801 camera by Techmoan on Youtube.

This has to be simply the best buy I've made this year.

I recommend getting a good class 10 micro-SDHC card, to capture high resolution images and to shoot Full HD video.
Mine is 32GB class 10 micro-SDHC card with transfer rate at 20MB/s. One tip. For best recording results format the card in the camera.

You can read one of my other car cam reviews on Amazon, about the 1280P HD 2.5" LCD NIGHT VISION CCTV IN-CAR DVR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can save you a fortune, 23 Feb 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
A "carcam" is one of those things which can literally save you a fortune!! And the E-Prance 0801 is one of the best options out there. The intuitive menu system makes it very easy to setup.

Pros:
+ Great image quality and wide field of view
+ The screen aids in installation. This screen is invaluable when mounting the camera as you can see what the camera will record
+ True 1080 HD 30fps recording (No upscaling as with so many others)
+ Firmware updates. When first bought the recording file format was TS. A firmware upgrade addressed a number of issues. The most welcome being MOV file recording and VBR (Variable bitrate) which means that file size would be different when there is no movement, thus occupying less space.
+ Plug and forget. The un intrusive tiny device will not distract you whilst driving
+ Easy to install. Check your cigarette lighter first. If you can use the cigarette lighter when the ignition is off, than you will need to find an alternative source which powers when ignition is switched on.
+ Tiny and discreet. Will not attract thieves.

Cons:
- Care needs to be taken when removing or refitting the unit to the clamp:
1. Unnecessary wearing of the contacts
2. Mount can easily come off due to the tiny mount holder footprint. Best leave unit in place and remove the micro SD card only
- Quality control. Had to change it twice before I got a good unit. This means that you would have to buy it from a reputable seller.

Considerations:
○ A class 6 card micro SD card maximum recommended. A class 10 could lead to undesirable video quality
○ A new upgraded unit should be released within the next month or so and will sport the new and better Ambarella A7 Chip rather than current Ambarella A2S60 Chip.

Bottom line: The E-Prance is probably best dashcam available on the market, and a great mini tool that can prove your innocence in case of an accident.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sandisk, 7 Jan 2014
Mr. M. Innes (UK) - See all my reviews
Just a slight update to endorse all the previous comments - but to add that I am using a 64Gb Sandisk extreme card in this; and it works.
Gave it 4 stars and not 5. Based on the fact; that the unit does not sit fully straight when inserted into the mount. Had to jam it with a slight piece of plastic. On the youtube review of this product - the reviewer did mention the mount in terms of robustness. That aside; a minor minor gripe. A GREAT product - now wifey wants one! Another 2 on the way; one for her and another for me as a rear view recorder.
Very happy

SORRY ALL - the 64Gb card failed to record half way through (it maxed at 32Gb and died). It did not overwrite previous and record.

Have now inserted the finest fastest sandisk 32gb and will see what happens - watch this space.
To be fair - the product does state 32Gb..............I was pushing my luck.

Martin

Further to above -

A problem I had with the 32k card is that once the card became half full it stopped recording any 5 minute video clips.
I checked around - and seems to have been a problem for others as well.
I updated the Firmware to the latest (supposedly corrected the problem) and will now see how I get on.
There is a video on youtube that shows how to update the Firmware - and it is very simple.
This site is where I got Firmware links and detailed information - hope it helps.

[...]

Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, 5 Aug 2014

I thought I had a one year guarantee with this item, but E-PRANCE state that because I had not returned it to their HQ in China within 30 days, then they could do nothing for me. Amazon said they had to honour a one year guarantee, and on that basis, and admittedly with return postage covered by Amazon, I returned the dash cam to China. Now E-PRANCE have the Mini 0801 and I have nothing. They refuse to return the £59.98 I paid them.

So, please think twice before purchasing this item. If you are lucky you will have an excellent dash cam - if you're unlucky you might find yourself out of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth it, 30 Jun 2014
got this because my 18 year old son was using my car . a car hit him wrote both cars off he admitted he was at fault then later on said it was my sons fault . i gave the footage to my insurance company and they were very happy with it which clearly showed the accident even at night time, just ordered another one , he's got his own car now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great in-car HD recorder, 5 Oct 2013
This is a small, full HD in-car recorder that sits at the top of the inside of the windscreen almost completely behind the rear view mirror, so very unobtrusive. Fits into a permanent "bracket" stuck on the windscreen and can easily be removed from the car. Power comes from a 12v cigarette lighter output and, depending on the type of car electrics, will power on automatically when the ignition is switched on or it might be necessary to plug in and out of the socket if it has a permanent supply. The camera was purchased as a back-up for any future insurance claims resulting from "crash for cash" or "flash for cash" scenarios and I would strongly recommend the use of this technology, especially for those living in an urban environment where traffic volumes are heavy and these types of incidents are most common. There is a great video review of this camera on "Youtube" that will better explain all the functions and show the excellent quality of the HD video. Search for "Techmoan" and you will be directed to a dedicated review channel where you can find this camera along with reviews of loads of other stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning low cost high quality DVR, 10 July 2014
Stunning!
I won't go into details on the features since they are more than adequately covered in other peoples reviews.
I researched long and hard before getting this, and I am more than delighted with it.
My main requirements were: discrete (small physical size), ease of attachment & removal, high quality HD recording, ease of video transfer, internal battery (even if for 5 or 10 mins video review) and the cam certainly achieves all of this, and much more.
I steered away from the GPS version as I don't want minor speeding transgressions recorded: I can always buy the GPS enabled base later elsewhere on Amazon.
The actual video and still picture quality is stunning in any lighting conditions.
I was very impressed in the tiny base/mount and tiny camera, not so obvious to other people outside the car, and the mount allows 2 second camera attachment and removal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera with impressive performance, 24 Nov 2014
Having seen quite a few dashcams in action, this was the one I eventually took a punt on. I watched some raw footage on YouTube which convinced me to buy.

The mount for the windscreen is excellent. It stays attached permanently with the 12v cable connected to the mount itself. The camera slides in and out of the mount quite easily, meaning if you don't want to leave the camera in the vehicle overnight you can remove it. Mounting it again is a just a matter of sliding it back into place without any hassle. It is also very discreet compared to other models I've seen. Recording automatically starts when vehicle starts.

The quality of the video is excellent. It's smooth and very clear. I have used it so far in bright, overcast and rainy conditions and it has performed brilliantly. I am particularly impressed with its night time performance. Technically it is not equipped for night time operation but in urban areas with dim enough light, it records very clearly. However on dark county roads it is limited to what's within your lights and wouldn't really capture anything that would be of much use should you require it in a legal situation.

For playback, it's best to connect the camera to your TV via a HDMI cable. You can connect the camera direct to a PC using a USB cable. The quality of the video means that even a decent PC can stutter at times during playback but it's not unbearable. Note that the HDMI cable is not supplied and the one required is a mini-HDMI to standard size.

You can select how long each video segment lasts. I have mine set to 3 minute intervals, ie a 30 minute journey will have 10 videos of 3 minutes each. You can set this to 1 or 5 as well. There is also a feature which allows automatic recording if the sensor is triggered, namely if the vehicle is sitting overnight and someone/thing moves within view of the camera, it will start recording even if power is not being supplied because the vehicle is off. I haven't used this feature but I thought I would mention it here as it might be useful to some people. There is also an option to turn the screen off after a certain amount of time. I have mine set to switch off after 1 minute as it can be quite distracting. There is also a bright blue LED which flashes every few seconds. I have a piece of tape over it as it is very noticeable at night.

The camera has a microphone onboard as well. It can be muted but if you need to turn it on you can do so easily and quickly by pressing the UP arrow on the unit. The quality of the audio is decent and clear.

The unit does have a decent build quality although the software and menu interface retains that cheap made-in-China feel. It is certainly of a better quality than the other units I have seen at this price range. If like me you were very unsure about which camera to buy them I would recommend taking a chance on this unit. I have given it 5 stars because it is by far the best camera I have seen at this price. I would find it difficult to justify purchasing a more expensive camera as I don't think the quality of video would increase with the price difference.

Use a Class 10 TF card as it will yield the best results. Video will be smooth and camera performance will be better. I have uploaded some videos to YouTube. Search for "Eprance 0801 unedited raw footage".

5.0 out of 5 stars Relatively good build/video quality for a chinese product, 18 Nov 2014
I have just bought this and first impressions are great.
Build quality is relatively good, video quality is great.
It doesn't have GPS this one, but i'm not sure it really needs it anyway. Comes with an extra 3M window sticker in case you mess up the other one. Came with the latest firmware so no need to do a dodgy update. It also came with the correct date! The time was +5 hours or something so the hours is all that needs changing.
Instead of listing all the pro's that i'm sure everyone is aware of, i will just list a few cons.

Cons.
1. Don't keep removing the camera from its mount on the windscreen. Some versions have had issues with wear on the metal contacts where it slides on and off. I haven't tried yet cause im scared to, but apparently its been corrected in the newer models.
2. Firmware bug shows the microphone mute icon, even though the sound is not muted. Not much of a problem, but its a running issue.
3. Manual is converted from chinese. It is legible, but its annoying that they cant find someone who speaks proper English to write these things.
4.HAS to be mounted in the CENTER of the windscreen at the TOP. If you mount it at the bottom on either the left or right hand side, the windscreen curves and you cant correct it. It only twists up and down.

For the information:

1. The file sizes for 1 min is 85mb. The device does 1min on each file. So a 8GB card will store 94min. You can ensure that the file doesnt get overwritten by holding down the 'down' button after you crash or want to keep something.
2. Takes a microSD card.