on 29 December 2014
It's always a pleasure to recommend a product that lives up to your expectations. Sadly this is definitely not the case with Dazzle DVD Recorder "HD" - but we did find one that we can recommend.

Firstly, IT IS NOT HD !!!

How on earth Corel / Pinnacle / Roxio can get away with this misdiscription I cannot understand. The letters "HD" appear all over the packaging but if you read the small print, no actual claim of "High Definition" is made anywhere. So does that make it alright then?

We installed the software and drivers but were unimpressed by the look and feel. The background of the screen is almost black. The text is a shade of dark grey and there are weird icons which would benefit from bubble help text, but sadly have none. All in all it is a very depressing GUI.

Our first attempt at a transfer gave us a picture but no sound. We uninstalled and re-installed several times but with the same result. We then downloaded the Pro version of the software which has a 30 day free trial period. This time we had sound but no picture.

We had made the classic mistake of buying a product without reading lots of reviews first. The whole package was returned for a full refund and after reading many more reviews, we chose a product called Video-2-PC.Video-2-PC DIY Video Capture Kit. For Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista & XP. Links your VCR or Camcorder to the USB port on your PC. Copy, Convert, Transfer: VHS, Video-8, VHS-C, Hi8, Digital8, & MiniDV video tapes to digital format H.264, MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ...

What a difference! My wife e-mailed a pre-sales question in the evening and the answer came back immediately. Even though it was Christmas week the package arrived the next day as promised. At every stage of installation, the instructions worked flawlessly and there is a promise of telephone help if needed. This company claim their product will work where others fail and I can well believe it.

Ditch the Dazzle and go Video-2-PC!
on 30 June 2014
The device works as the manufacturer promises. It isn't capable of digitizing HD-video, but for SD digitizing both hardware and software work without problems. Sometimes drops a few frames, but that hasn't resulted in any noticeable breaks in the digital video. Also, catching the very first seconds of a video is a bit tricky.. You might need to use the pause-button of your source analog device, because the program doesn't start catching before the video is already on.

The software is fairly simple, but I found it hard to create decent looking "customized" DVD menus..

Also, for those using Windows 8.1, you will need an update, in order to get the software working from here:
[...]

All in all, I can recommend the product :) Simple enough to use, even for those not so familiar with editing.
on 14 September 2014
It wouldn't work with Win 8.1 and no matter what I did I could not find a working driver on their web site. Eventually I found one that got it running. Well, I say "running". The program started. However, I was unable to make a decent-quality transcription of any of the family VHS tapes. Most of the time the Export process just hung, after I had spent hours Importing the tape contents and settin up the Export. The supplied software is the most unintuitive I have used since the minicomputer word processor I was forced to use in the 1980s. The one tape I managed to convert looked like it was being viewed through the porridge filter. It says HD on the box but you can only think that the H stands for Hazy. Unless you are a fearless giant of the PC, avoid this
on 10 March 2014
I must say what a nice bit of technology the Dazzle is it met all but one of my requirments why no DV input many people have said the same thing.
I don`t think there`s any other products in the shops that come up to the same standard as the dazzle.
on 5 October 2015
We purchased this unit a while back to be able to use a Sony video cam as a web cam for a Video conference. It was with Windows Vista. That worked fine then. Today, we were in dire need to use this unit with a different machine, Windows 7 64Bits. Since we got an error message that the driver we had was not compatible, we went to Pinnacle site to get the new driver. Just getting the driver was pure hell, first the serial number was not accepted by the site, we ended up changing the country to a different one and had to go through the whole registration process to get a bloddy driver. We finally got the driver - a 150 Mo file. Installation fails, driver not working, reboot, retry, still exclam point in device manager. Then saw a post by someone stating that the driver on the Pinnacle site did not work, unfortunately the driver downloaded from that other site did not work either. Conclusion, we will purchase a different unit. Getting an updated driver should be so simple and easy.
on 8 September 2015
Copies from video camera easily enough, but the results are awful quality and have noise lines top and bottom of the image. Definitely would not recommend.
on 25 March 2015
Love Dazzle and Pinnacle :) does what I wanted it to do :)
on 26 November 2015
after using six months no longer works more bad esprencia
on 3 February 2016
Great product & delivery
on 15 October 2014
Software can not be installed. Now i have purchase a software but i will not do it from Amazon !!!! One mistake is enough.i thought i will be how it is written but you can not use the software which is included in the device