5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change
I really enjoyed this novel. It was such a change from the detective stories I usually read. I loved the countryside setting and the characters. I have downloaded the second book of The Falconer Files and I am enjoying that too and I will probably read all of the Falconer Files eventually.
Published 4 months ago by Lesley H

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing distraction
At such a low price, it's an excellent, untaxing way to while away an evening when there's nothing on the box.
Published 23 months ago by Cagey

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Death of an Old Git (The Falconer Files - File 1) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars a smile of satisfaction, 19 April 2012
Wow, what a super engrossing 'whodunnit'. It was so enjoyable and very difficult to put down before one's eyes began to blur with sleep ! Andrea Frazer writes so well and still captures with reader with clever 'asides' and a deep sense of humour.
Loved it and will read her other 'Falconer'books. One of your reviewers wrote that they didn't like the title of 'Death of an Old Git'. Maybe not, but at least it captured the attention of people like myself. Well done !

Carol Chamberlain, West Sussex

5.0 out of 5 stars A sparkling debut, 14 Sep 2011
G. Macpherson (France - not bi-lingual yet) - See all my reviews
Andrea Frazer's first e-book is hugely entertaining and funny. A thoroughly good read, for on the beach or beside the fire. I hope this is not the last we hear of her bumbling police duo with their inimitable detective techniques. I look forward to her next novel with anticipation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential English country village disguising murderous intent., 17 Dec 2013
A charming story written in the style of early Agatha Christie or a Midsummer Murder(s). You will never take a charming village on face value again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing distraction, 4 May 2012
Cagey (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 8 April 2012
This book was a great read, this is the first book that I have read by this author. I am now online to purchase some more. The book is funny, the author tells the story very well and it is quite addictive. There are a lot of characters which at times can be a bit confusing. The book is descriptive and tells the story of events in a sleepy village. Read it, you'll love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a breath of fresh air!, 3 May 2012
Stumbled across this first book and if they all like this then this author(ess) has my vote! Wonderful characterisation of geneuinely interesting yet sinister characters in an Englsh country village- but so much more insightful than Caroline Graham's Midsomer (which is also great if formulaic!)

A great read and funny(sniggeringly so) yet satisfying. Love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard Village Mystery (TM), 30 Jun 2013
My main issue with this was that it was too perfect. Yeah, yeah, I know. First world problems...

Like the Saxon tower* of the village church, it's just too good to be true. Everyone is one-dimensionally lovely (except for the victims) and the sun always shines. Sure, you could say that if that's not what I'm into then why am I reading cozy British mysteries? To which I'll reply that the reason I love cosy British mysteries is for the darkness beneath. Caroline Graham does this brilliantly: her characters are all emphatically real people, with flaws and contradictions and flashes of light (Gavin Troy especially, is a work of genius).

If you just want to be transported to an anonymous Mayhem Parva in which bobbies worry about sheep worrying and retired brigadiers sip gin-and-it (rather than taking up consultancy posts with BAE systems) this is absolutely the book for you. If you're looking for depth, try elsewhere.

*Oh aye? And a neolithic tea urn as well, I'll be bound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 3 Feb 2012
C. Anderson "Pooh's Pal" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I am nearly half way through this wonderful book. Love the characters and Carmichael is a 'gift' of a character.

Laughing out loud in places.

Wonderfully written, no faffing just a really good romp of a story. And I am looking forward to the next book which I shall be reading as soon as this one is finished (tonight!).

For under 1.00 you cannot go wrong. If you love a good detective story and like a little humour injected this book is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read by an old git., 27 Aug 2011
I really enjoyed the characters and the feeling of village life.(In fact I thought I had been there!)The author wrote with humour and brought the people to life. The murderer came as a complete surprise.What more could you want?

ARRAY(0x9db051b0)