4.0 out of 5 stars A Great way to get started.
Published on 23 Dec. 2008 by Ned Middleton

Foolish of me to buy such a graphic, pictorial book as a Kindle download - it is one of the better Dummy books: very well thought-out (and impossible to digest properly on a Kindle).
Published 8 months ago by Foscari

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great way to get started., 23 Dec. 2008
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The big attraction of this series of "Dummies" books is that we who buy these products are happy to accept the limitations of our own knowledge whilst placing great value on the works of those who understand the subject. If, therefore, your own expertise is well beyond beginner level, there is no point in your purchasing this product just to exercise your superiority by writing a less than praiseworthy review. It's called showing off!

I am currently in the process of converting from film to digital photography and there are certain aspects which I have found quite daunting. Altogether, I have purchased several books and tutorial DVDs on the subject as that process of conversion continues.

Having already worked my way through other titles in this series (with camera in hand) I find these books speak my language and continue to provide an excellent grounding.

This book starts at the beginning of the story. Raw is both explained and justified at the beginning of a section headed "Getting to know bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop - exactly why I bought the book in the first place. Having established some of the more basic skills, Raw is then explained in much more detail just as building bricks are placed on top of building bricks to create a much greater structure.

As that process continues, so we learn more and more about the subject in hand until we have mastered (and there is no reason why these skills should not be mastered from following the guidelines, advice and instructions given; Colour management, workflow, Adobe bridge, image management and much more besides.

I have not previously encountered the work of author Kevin Moss, but he is clearly one who not only knows his subject but also has the ability to explain things in that easy-to-follow format in which this series of books excels.

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars camera raw, 7 Jun. 2012
Mrs. Margaret G. Thomas "hot photos" (Argyll, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having recently purchased a DSLR, I have only used it on auto. There are lots of functions on this camera and I was a bit confused by all the talk about shooting in raw. This book is perfect. It is most useful, it is easy reading, not much hard terminology. Detailed pictures and step by step guide on how to get the best out of your camera in raw. I totally went back to the basics and acted as if I knew nothing about photography. This book has improved my skills, knowledge and gave me the confidence to try out all sorts of new things. It's as if the writer is with you guiding you through every step. A real must by if you are converting from JPEG to raw, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camera raw for dummies hit the right level, 13 Jun. 2010
As with all the "....for dummies" manuals aimed at beginners with no experience of software. Excellent value. Use it as reference when I get stuck.

2.0 out of 5 stars pictorial book as a Kindle download - it is one of the better Dummy books, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Camera Raw with Photoshop for Dummies (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for information and price but prefer Photography books in ..., 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Camera Raw with Photoshop for Dummies (Kindle Edition)
OK for information and price but prefer Photography books in hard back - easier to dip in and out of when editing photo's.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 Jan. 2015