on 29 August 2004
Elinor Valjean begins her diary in 1525, when she is eleven. As the daughter of a lady-in-waiting to Queen Catherine of England, she has grown up at court. Over the next few years, Elinor describes her daily life living among royalty, and how she eventually becomes a lady-in-waiting to Anne Boleyn. Elinor and her family sympathize with Queen Catherine because of their ties to her. But Anne Boleyn is determined to be queen, and King Henry VIII is determined to divorce Catherine, because she has failed to provide him with a son and is now too old to have any more children. But as Elinor's life becomes happy, as she grows up, falls in love, marries, and has children, Anne's only becomes worse, as she ends up disappointing Henry by failing to provide a living son. This is my favorite book from the My Story series, and I highly recommend it to readers who are interested in the Tudor era or who enjoy historical fiction in diary form.
on 7 January 2008
This is a FANTASTIC book! Brilliantly plotted, historically correct and an enjoyable read all through!If You are interested in the Tudors this is the book is for you!
on 11 January 2010
Judging by the title, can you guess my feelings? This book is a fabulous read, from about 10-13, 14 at the maximum. It tells you about Elinor Valjean, soon Freeman, who grows up in Tudor court as Anne Bolyn rises to the throne and falls in 1536. It is wonderfully realistic, you know that each fact and twig of detail is correct, and it proves that Alison Prince knows what she is writing about and how she puts it is truly magnificent. Anne Boleyn is my favourite wife of Henry VIII, because of her untrue fall and death, her conquest to the Kings heart, and of all her elegance and posture that made her catch Henry's eye and made her one of the most remembered Queens and one with an exraorinary 3-year reign. This books states, through Elinor's eyes, what happens in court while Catherine is pushed aside, Anne is thrust with her crown and gives England a future Gloriana, Princess Elizabeth, and then meets an short end to her life for a greedy impatient, boy-wanting man (This book does give a slightly tilted view on Henry and how you think of him, though) and a message is clear: Don't mess with the King! The first book, written as Elinor's mother, Eva, is My Tudor Queen, and I advice to buy that as well! It does not matter which book is read first. Both are excellent reads, for a lazy rainy day or a historic update or a as a good gift! Praise to Alison Prince and her beautifully-wrote novel of Anne Boleyn and Me, a keen book of history deep in Tudor life!
on 20 September 2009
I bought this with the intention of adding it to my year 6 classroom resources for a cross-curricular unit on Tudors. While it contains some interesting perspectives on what court life might have been like during the period, it lacks tension and pace, and is therefore unlikely to capture or sustain the interest of young readers. It might be useful as an additional book for more able readers who are interested and already well-informed about the Tudor period, but it won't work as 'hook' to get children interested in Tudors.
on 12 January 2011
A lovely book. I really enjoyed reading this. Really quirky and interesting. Highly recommended read for anyone who is a fan of Anne Boleyn.....
on 24 April 2010
What a fabulous historical diary from the My Royal Story collection! In this book, be taken back into Tudor times and read the diary of young lady-in-waiting to Queen Catherine, Eleanor. She's first-hand with all the royal news and knowledge and has lot on her own plate with children of her own coming and her father getting ill. She hardly has time for herself as she has to sing and play to the Queen, and is being whisked from palace to palace, whilst Henry VIII is turning the country to turmoil to get a divorce from Catherine.Great novel and I recommend it to those with children studying the Tudors at school, as it gives a real insight in to Tudor life.
on 11 July 2011
This book is fabulous I have buried my nose it this book for many a well enjoyed hour I am in year 7 it is one of my favourite books i the series it is especially well followed by ELIZABETH's diary also in the series I know the book is not without problems but I realy enjoyed reading it thank you Scholastic books. :)
on 23 January 2015
The year is 1525, Queen Catherine is on the throne, married to Henry VIII, Elinor is her Lady In Waiting, this fictional diary is her account of life at court at that time.
Catherine could not give Henry a boy heir to the throne as he longed for, she had one daughter by Henry, Mary, soon Henry is flirting with Anne Boleyn one of the Queens ladies, Anne is not liked by the people who prefer Catherine, Catherine is sent away to give Heny a free hand with Anne.
The Queen mysteriously dies which allows Heny to marry Anne, but again Anne has one daughter, Elizabeth, and after many miscarriages no boy heirs, Henry's eye roves again towards Jane Seymour but he can't marry her unless he can prove infedelity by Anne, which he does, Anne is beheaded and he marries Jane.
Not one of the best My Story books but ok for a read.
on 28 July 2010
It was such a good book! Absouloutly brilliant!! I wasn't that interested in the Tudors, but after buying this book, I can't stop looking them up! It was so vividly written and it was hard to put down :)
on 28 November 2013
When I first purchased it, I thought it was going to come out something as real diary and not fiction, so I was a bit disappointed at first. But I loved reading it, it got me into the mood, the ambience of leaving at that time and allowed me to know more about Anne Boleyn and her situation. It does not go deep into Anne's life but it's more a view on it, a short story.