Published 9 months ago by Lynne

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition not complete and promised downloads not available at website
Looks potentially helpful, but get the paper version.

At the end of chapter one the reader is asked to complete a survey. There is no survey in the Kindle edition. It suggests that you can fill it in online at the author's website. An appendix to the book says there are also useful worksheets to download. Going to the website you are offered only an audiobook...
Published 5 months ago by Philadelphus

5.0 out of 5 stars Eventually Zopiclone losses it's effect and often makes the condition worse. I read this book as an introduction before ..., 10 Sept. 2014
I've had insomnia for 20 odd years and had tried hypnosis, cherry extract, valerian, lavender, melatonin, Zopiclone, Retimer glasses etc. and only Zopiclone helped me sleep for short periods of time. Eventually Zopiclone losses it's effect and often makes the condition worse. I read this book as an introduction before enrolling in The Sleep School's workshop for insomnia. However, I have not needed to enrol, for the past 2 weeks or so, since reading The Sleep Book, I have slept almost every night for at least 6 to 7 hours. It took a week practising the exercises before I was sleeping through the night and I'm still nervous the condition will return. However, if my insomnia does return I will attend a workshop to help embed The Sleep School philosophy more permanently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does just what it says on the tin -- but not in the way you expect, 5 May 2014
K. L. Scarfe Beckett (UK) - See all my reviews
Five stars for a book that cuts away the usual methodology of 'control your sleep by adding yet more rules' and gets right back down to the basic question: what do normal sleepers do to get to sleep? ... Nothing.

'Nothing', I am glad to say, is not the answer this book gives. It does provide the enormous relief of _simplifying_ one's approach to insomnia.

I spent a miserable year in which occasional sleep troubles became more and more pressing until I was trying to work full days on 3 hrs or less sleep (I have always slept 8 hours a night and needed it). After trying just about everything short of drugs and alcohol, I signed up for Guy Meadow's Sleep School for 6 hrs and bought the book. The course followed the same steps and approach outlined in the book which I'm using to develop my own preferred actions and points to remember.

Now, rather than falling into the trap of letting insomnia create more insomnia, I am much more aware of what my body and brain are experiencing and the mechanisms they're building up when I go short of sleep, and so am in a much better position not to get wound up in it all but to observe calmly, acknowledge what's happening, minimise adverse effects, and do helpful things so that life continues effectively.

Lack of sleep does seem to feed one's demons, whatever they may be, and neither insomnia nor demons are subject to analytical control ... the strength of the 'sensible' self is often greatly reduced in sleepless circumstances. The answer is neither easy nor immediate but when you understand it, it does produce that 'aha' moment and a brand new approach in which instead of playing a terribly meaningful tug-of-war with your own sleeplessness that you can never win, you just don't pick up your end of the rope.

There may still be days where you wonder how on earth you're going to manage, but based on my experience, you will manage better by applying the principles at the end of the book. And gradually the sleep improves alongside the ability to deal with the lack of sleep. The very simple step-by-step mindfulness exercises outlined in the middle sections of the book really do help if done as described, and are useful in everyday life too.

No more expensive cherry melatonin precursors, no more anxiety about half a glass of wine or computer work past the evening deadline, no more dread of the bed, no more valerian tea, thank God. (Valerian apparently is the most attractive substance in the world to slime moulds, which crawl after it. You really can tell by the smell.)

Thoroughly recommended, especially if up till now you've gone down the route of rigorous sleep hygiene, rules, and control methods to the point where you're wondering where your life has gone.

Surprise bonus: endows the user with power over jet lag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A cure for my insomnia!, 9 April 2014
I first came across Dr Guy Meadow's podcast over 18 months ago and was so impressed by his approach that I sought out an ACT psychologist in Melbourne to help me apply this approach to my insomnia, which I've struggled with on and off for around a decade. When I heard he had written a book, I pre-ordered it and waited in anticipation for its arrival for months. Finally when I read his book and applied what I had learnt through ACT I realized I needed to stop struggling with insomnia and within days I was sleeping normally again. And now when I have poor sleep, instead of fighting insomnia and inducing crippling anxiety, I simply embrace my insomnia and use the techniques in Dr Meadow's book. I can't recommend this book and the ACT approach to insomnia highly enough. It was a last resort for me after trying every other pill, potion and therapy available. ACT is simple to implement and more effective than any other insomnia treatment out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 2 April 2014
I attended Guy's Sleep School a month ago and followed up by purchasing his book. I must say I was quite sceptical at first during the sleep school session, but as time went on during the day, I became more and more convinced that his methods could possibly work!! I have found the book very helpful as it confirms all and more that Guy covered in the daily session. I can actually say that I have purchased the book for my son and am about to purchase another copy for a friend. I know Guy said this was no easy fix and I appreciate that but I can also say that I have already felt some improvement in my sleep pattern so THANKS GUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Sleep Book: How to Sleep Well Every Night (Kindle Edition)
This guy gets it. This is a long term solution to insomnia. It's not an easy fix - but that's his point. Strongly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Guy what a guy!!!, 7 April 2014
Excellent logical and easy to follow couldn't recommend Dr Guy enough !
Being mindful is the way to go and not only has it made sleep better but has improved many other aspects of my personality

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, I am so grateful to this guy!, 8 May 2015
I read an article about insomnia in the paper which recommended two approaches - CBT and this one, which is not CBT. I decided to go with this method and I'm massively glad I did. I've suffered awful bouts of insomnia for about 20 years on and off. I can honestly say this book has changed my life in that I no longer use sleeping pills or suffer in the same way. My sleep has improved by about 70 percent and I only purchased this book about two weeks ago. Dr Meadows totally gets it. He completely understands how the mind makes insomnia worse and his approach is all about working with what's going on in your mind and the effect it has on you as you are struggling to get to sleep. I'm not cured but insomnia doesn't have the hold it had over me and I have new found confidence about going to sleep. However, this book will not be for everyone. You do have to believe in the approach and it is about facing your insomnia head on and it may be uncomfortable and it definitely requires practice. I've had nights where it was worse at first and I thought it wasn't helping so you have to be prepared to hang in there and keep at it. Most times though I've had almost instant relief from worry. My insomnia is made worse by unhelpful thoughts so if you also have this, I hope this book will help you as it's helped me. If you've ever done mindfulness and found it helpful you will easily take to this.
I'm now getting about 6-7 hours a night, and even if I don't - I don't sweat and worry like I did, I'm so much more relaxed. I now quite enjoy falling asleep. I've booked to go on his workshop but I probably don't need to as the book is enough. But to be honest I'm so grateful I would pay the workshop fee just to tell him in person.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing approach, 4 Mar. 2015
I don't normally bother about writing reviews, but I'll make an exception here as there is so much that's unhelpful you will try (if you're like me) when insomnia hits you and I feel so lucky that I found this quickly, so would like to help others do the same. I suspect that I would have been struggling for years with insomnia and the depression and anxiety that typically come with it if I hadn't discovered Dr Guy Meadows' approach. The five-stage process set out in The Sleep Book requires some strength of mind to follow in the early stages, but I can only say it is really, really worth the short period of struggle while you learn to accept insomnia: this is vital to moving past it. I was hardly sleeping at all for night after night and now I'm back to 7-8 hours a night. Most sufferers will have tried CBT, herbal remedies, medication, changing your life-style and everything else that you can throw at sleeplessness. This book will explain why they often don't help - in fact, they can make everything worse long-term - and show you a different approach which certainly is effective for me. The author is an expert with years of professional study of sleep and he also runs a workshop and a clinic for those who need more help - I tried the workshop too and it was very useful, but if you follow the instructions in the book, you don't necessarily need it. For me, I was lucky enough to come across this approach after a relatively short period of insomnia, but on the workshop, I met other people who found it changed their lives after suffering for twenty years or more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Practical Book That Helps Get To Grips With Insomnia. - Recommended!, 20 Nov. 2014
I found this book really nice to read, in fact it's the first "Kindle" book I've read on my new Fire HDX 8.9".

The quality of writing is good, if you've bought this title because you're having problems with Insomnia (as I have) it's likely that some of the stuff within the pages you already know.

However, I found the "Five Step Programme" unique in that it actually approaches the issue practically, and doesn't spend to many pages explaining what the causes are or why you're experiencing the problem but gets down to trying to address the Insomnia problem.

Would I recommend this? Yes! Why? Because, unlike some "Self Help books" endlessly go on about " the "Psychology" of the problem it aims to help you practically solve the problem. I've not finished the book yet but so far it has made an improvement to my sleep issues. I am still on Prescription Sleeping Tablets (Zopiclone) so be interesting to see if the book helps me sleep without needing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book great Guy, 19 Feb. 2014
I have been waiting for this book since Guy told me he was writing it!

Guy has helped me enormously with my sleep and this book enables Guy to reach everyone with his life changing advice!

If you suffer from too many sleepless nights or you know someone who does ....buy this book for yourself or others.

The Sleep Book: How to Sleep Well Every Night